Pages

Living Graciously, Artfully, Frugally.

Consciously taking notice of the gifts each day places in our path.

“I awoke this morning with devout thanksgiving for my friends, the old and the new.” R. W. Emerson

Tuesday, July 1, 2014

30 Day Master Bath-DONE!

30 days and $200 was the goal.
Thanks to Serena at Thrift Diving I was inspired to get my rear in gear
and complete my much neglected Master Bath.
Click here for some photos of the embarrassing before...


 No you are not developing cataracts.
The photo quality stinks, no natural light at all in the vanity section of the room. 
Also no way to get a photo of the entire room. Let me tell you I tried everything.
I contorted my body, sat on the toilet, laid in the tub...
Just cannot get enough distance for a full shot.
I even took the doors off the hinges to get a bit more sunlight!
You may not get the entire picture but
this room has a double vanity with matching mirrors.
My theme was Urbane Rustic.
A bit of sophistication and some outdoors and industrial.


I found these mirrors at the Christmas Tree Shop after searching high and low for just the right ones.


Board and batten back wall with hooks and a rustic basket.


One of my favorite parts is the shelving in the niche above the toilet.
Again, I can only shoot bits because I cannot get far enough away.
Lots of rustic and some silver and mercury glass for some shine.
I oiled the wood for these shelves instead of staining and hope that they darken with age. 
I may add an edge with some reclaimed wood later.
Everything I decorated with was already in our home.
Hoard much?

 Balancing on the back edge of the bathtub edge does not make for a steady camera.


Confession time.
Of the many tasks I took on during this project, pulling out the toilet was the scariest.
Once it was out I could not stand the thought of putting that 20 year old water guzzler back.
So, lovely new Kohler toilet you doubled my budget. 
Worth every penny.
If loving a toilet is wrong, I don't wanna be right.
Best part? My baby girl Sadie took on the installation.
Skills people.
Learning opportunities at every turn in life.
Or is that flush with opportunity?


Sadie also sprayed the shiny brass hardware Pewter.
We did replace the rusty hinges and door latch with brushed chrome.


My free art from my stash of papers and frames.
I really need to do some decluttering in my art room.


A rustic crate holds books and candles.


Awkward attempt to get the detail on the mirrors.
Even replaced the outlets.
They were not GFS, which I believe is illegal or against code or something.
Taking our lives in our hands every time we plugged in an appliance!
You can get some sleep now, we are safe.


Some twigs in a basket I bought on clearance years ago.
See, that is why I have a problem parting with junk.
As soon as its gone I will probably find a use for it.


 More of my found art, probably another of my favorite parts of this make over.
I will show some of the details and the sources in another post.
Two eleven hour days finishing this space have my brain fried.


Serena is hosting another challenge in August.
She will also be spotlighting the June participants on her blog.
Visit Thrift Diving for some great inspiration.
As for me, I think I will go sit on my toilet and take in the view.

Yours in new challenges, P.

I am also linking this post to these inspiring sites...
Between Naps on the Porch
Pin It!

4 comments:

Debby said...

So nice. I love all the art pieces. Four years ago we got all new toilets. I did a happy dance. Hope you are having a nice summer.

sweetvintageofmine said...

Evening Pam, What a stormy night here in our area! I have to say I am amazed with the re-do on your bathroom for $200!! I think it turned out gorgeous and you named it perfect "urbane rustic" I love the batten board and the painted hardware! Your new throne is awesome~~~I think the rustic accessories add the best touch...Blessings~~~Roxie

insidemenikkithomas said...

Really nice bathroom and I love the art work. Great job!

Gwen said...

Oh I love stealing a peak over here on your blog!! My favorite things? That new sleek toilet as reward for pulling up that old one all by yourself!!! Next all of the framed art. I cannot believe you found such quality frames at GW and thrift shops. I too like how you used paper and buttons together as well as the flash cards I think your mirrors are beautiful. Your box looks great. It all looks nice as well as your sticks you saved. Aren't we glad we did this?!!! Congrats!!!