Pages

Living Graciously, Artfully, Frugally.

Consciously taking notice of the gifts each day places in our path.

“I awoke this morning with devout thanksgiving for my friends, the old and the new.” R. W. Emerson

Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Always Back to Black and White

So I have been a bad blogger.
Life and stuff, ya know?
Oh and of course, the house.
Can't forget that.
Summer is winding down and I find myself back to my old standby, black and white.
I tried color, even had a word...coloriness.
But old loves sometimes linger.


Last time we chatted I was gearing up for City Flea.
Since then I have started a new job...
an awesome new job...here...
it will be a perfect fit.
It will even require a blog, and Facebook and Pinterest and tweets.
More on that soon.


Hence the simplification of the house. 
I need to be able to keep it under control.
I even moved the dining room yet again.
Back to a reading room, good for cozy autumn days and not for piling everything that comes in the door onto the dining room table.

Anyone else have that issue?
I for one am outlawing piles of junk in this house.
Because no one in the family pays much attention to my rules I suppose I will be the only one following them.

Speaking of junk...thrifted clock $6 and framed vintage B&W photo of NYC $2...score.


Having said that, my simplification calls for less...
less objects to dust, less clutter, just plain old less.
One comes in two must go out, at least in theory, haha.

Oh but I could not resist a little orange.
This IKEA rug was love at first sight 
when I saw KariAnne at Thistlewood Farms using it in her gatehouse.
Orange just keeps calling me.
Gold too.
Maybe it is the coming change of season.
Or just that orange and gold are plain pretty.


Enough playtime.
Apparently I need to do a bit of vacuuming.
Two of the dogs are at the groomers getting shaved.
Can they shave cats too?
Boy that would really cut down on the work around here.
I doubt the cats would be amused.
I can just picture the scathing looks...total disdain...


Do you ever feel like everything is complete?
Do we ever finish?
Life is definitely a work in progress.
Goals change, needs change, tastes change.
One thing that remains constant is my joy at visiting all of you.
A little stretch of time to fill my eyes with images and my heart with words.


I really will try to be a better blogger.
Also, I haven't eliminated all of the coloriness.
I just can't get a good photo of my front room.
Any tips on interior photography would be gratefully received.

Wow, I am all over the place today.
Anyhoo, glad to be checking in.


Yours in just plain living, P.


Pin It!

7 comments:

Debra Oliver said...

Hey Pam! black and white is so classic, you can never go wrong, and that orange rug really gives a punch of great seasonal color. As for shaved cats, yes, our daughter has a Himalayan and they shave it in the summer, and I've been threatening my kitties, but then they might resent me for the rest of their lives so I'd rather just vacuum up the globs of hair and keep things civil! xo

Denise Duffy said...

If you get any good photo tips, please pass them along! I always find myself in the same situation. ha I think your house looks wonderful! I understand the piles of junk thing. I just keep on plodding along hoping someone besides me will "get it." No luck yet though! Congrats on the job. Sounds amazing

Diane Cayton-Hakey said...

I like you coloriness. Hope to see a bigger pic of that room soon! Oh, and congrats on the job. You must be very excited about that... :)

Laura said...

I have been an absentee blogger too!
Oh.well.
We are living life on life's terms.
Your house looks amazing as usual and good luck on your new job!
Laura
White Spray Paint

Dewena Callis said...

Just plain living, that sound fine to me. Congratulations on the new job! I smiled to read that you are the only ones following house rules. At least that's one person!

I love the new rug and the way you've done the room that it's in.

Dewena Callis said...

P.S. And don't even think of shaving those beautiful cats! I know you wouldn't. Just wanted to say they look lovely with the decor!

trash talk said...

Ah my sister from another mister. All over the place? Welcome to my world.
Can't stand piles? The walls close in on me.
B&W? Is there another color pallette worthy of us?
I was HOPING you would give me tips on photographing inside a home. What looks good to me is your inside take on how to live and do it on your own terms.
LYttH,
Magenta