Pages

Living Graciously, Artfully, Frugally.

Consciously taking notice of the gifts each day places in our path.

“I awoke this morning with devout thanksgiving for my friends, the old and the new.” R. W. Emerson

Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Happy Halloween


Each year I decorate our house for Halloween.
My kids are grown so now I do it just because.
Because it feels good.
Just for me.


Frippery Farmhouse has never actually seen a trick or treater.
No one ventures up the hill. 
The houses are too far apart.
That is one thing I miss here.


Been missing it for 19 years.
When the kids were smaller we gathered with friends.
In a different neighborhood.
One where you can run from house to house.
An older, city neighborhood. 
A neighborhood full of lovely old homes.
All decorated, all welcoming.
I miss it too.


I will still decorate.
I think this year I am the only one on our road that put lights in the boxwoods and 
a Morgue sign over the arbor.
Not sure why.
But I will continue to decorate.
For me.
I will light a fire and settle in with hubs to watch a scary movie or two.
Say bye to the kids as they head out to a party.


Frippery Farmhouse has always been quiet at Halloween.
She is still dressed for it.
Just for me.

Yours in a haunting evening, P.
Pin It!

4 comments:

Jo said...

You should do what makes you feel gd and happy! It is harder once your kids get older and especially when they move away

Denise said...

My first visit with you.Enjoyed your post.Going to watch the Grandkids dress for Halloween,takes pics of the young ones,eat My daughters Chili,come home to My quiet cottage.I still can't leave Halloween go,after raising My 4 daughters,I still want to see those babies in their sweet costumes or even the boys as creepy whatevers. Denise from Coffeeberry Cottage (a new follower)

Emom said...

lovely!.....thank you for the words.....smiles

Ms Misantropia said...

Love your lights! Happy Halloween!