Pages

Living Graciously, Artfully, Frugally.

Consciously taking notice of the gifts each day places in our path.

“I awoke this morning with devout thanksgiving for my friends, the old and the new.” R. W. Emerson

Saturday, July 21, 2012

3 Tips to Motivate a Home Refresh

Like me, you are busy and life gets messy
and sometimes things get away from you.
Family doesn't value a clean tidy home the way you do.
When things begin to slip around here I have a few go to's that will light a fire under my rear to clean and of course rearrange Frippery Farmhouse.
(Serial Rearrangement is a disease and I am one of it's victims.)

#1
Have a party.
I invited a few of the girls I worked with to come for a swim and cocktail party.


So I just had to move my dining room furniture to the family room for a whole new look.


This table has been in three different rooms and moved between them multiple times.
The china cabinet has only moved twice, poor thing.
It needs to get out more.
I filled it with my treasures this time, as opposed to china.
A cabinet of curiosities if you will. 


#2
Buy something for resale that is just too cute to linger in the garage.

This little red bench...
Now a doggy feeding station


This colonial style TV stand from the 60's or 70's
turned into a little entry bench with a quick shot of Rustoleum and 
some well placed accessories from other rooms.


#3
Find the steal of the century and buy it even though you have no place for it.

OK you cannot fault me for this one.
China cabinet, hutch, 6 chairs and a table 
all for $55!!!!
Yes Fifty Five dollars!!!!


It needs paint and some of the cane is broken but I was going to reupholster the chairs anyway.
I peeled red flocked wallpaper from the interior of the china cabinet and began to paint it.
I realized there was no way to finish before my party...
so I threw a few plates in and called it a work in progress.


Now you can see why my former dining room table and curio cabinet had to move.
To make way for this awesome dealio.


Now the trick is not to stop. 
Once a girl gets rolling she needs to stay motivated.

Do you have a great motivator that you use to get your move on
when it comes to updating your home?


Now I need to find the perfect fabric and paint colors for my find.

Yours in never standing still, P.

Linking To...
Open House Party @ No Minimalist Here
Pin It!

12 comments:

sweetvintageofmine said...

I hear ya loud and clear! $55.00??? What a FABULOUS (didn't plan on it) FIND!! I'm the same way~~When something "new" comes into my home~~I want to clean/rearrange/paint/get rid of~~etc...It must be in our DNA...DIVAS NEED ANTIQUES..Anyway, your home is Quite the LOVELY with GREAT DNA! LOL! From one sweetie to another~~~Roxie

Debby said...

What a beautiful place to have a party. Yes, tht will get you moving. It does for me. But, I usually make a bigger mess and more work in the long run. But such a good feeling when it's all done. Have fun.

Leanne said...

$55!!! That's all I need to say :)

Athena at Minervas Garden said...

Hi Pam: Having a party in the imminent future always gets me moving! And what an amazing deal on the furniture--I want to go shopping with you!!

Denise said...

Having a party always works for me! You have been busy busy. No lack of projects at your house!

Nita {ModVintageLife} said...

$55! Amazing...of course you couldn't pass it up. Yes, a party is always a motivator....but I'm no one to talk my dining room furniture sat waiting to be painted for like four years. YOu'll do it eventually. You've already started and that is the biggest part...just getting started. You are smart to start with the china hutch because I started with the chairs and they took so long...it was discouraging. I should have started with the buffet which went a lot faster.

thistlewoodfarm said...

I love those light fixtures in your kitchen. Where did you find them at? They look amazing (as does the entire house)!

Have a blessed and wonderful day!
karianne

for the love of a house said...

hi Pam! Long time no see, but I see you have been very busy! Love all your tips and what a deal on your dining room set!
joan

p.s. I'm not on Facebook, so can't join you there- sorry.

for the love of a house said...

p.s.s. should your second sentence under your header (which is really pretty btw!) read "placed" instead of "places"?

trash talk said...

I don't know how I missed this post, but miss it I did.
Good grief...$55 for real? Just one chair would cost that here in Dallas. I say just put slipcovers on the ones with damage and let the caning show on the others. Love 'em...and everything else like those light fixtures over the table.
I have to tell you...even a party won't light a fire under me. I just shove everything in closets, under the beds, microwave and even the dishwasher. Now painting the walls...that will get a room cleaned around the Casita de Trash!
LYttH
Deb

Sherry @ No Minimalist Here said...

Your home is beautiful and what a deal on the dining table and chairs! Love your kitchen and the chalkboard globe is fabulous. Thanks for joining the Open House party and I am now a follower.

Carolyn OConnor said...

Pam, I am interested in your version of chalk paint. I saw on another post that you used gesso with flat paint to make your chalk paint. How durable is that? I have used the Plaster of Paris, and the Baking soda version, but would be very interested in your take on that versus your gesso application.
Would you share your recipe? I love your blog, if you get time, stop on over and check mine out. www.carolynsfunkyfurniture.blogspot.com
Thanks! Carolyn.