Pages

Living Graciously, Artfully, Frugally.

Consciously taking notice of the gifts each day places in our path.

“I awoke this morning with devout thanksgiving for my friends, the old and the new.” R. W. Emerson

Saturday, June 30, 2012

Pink Front Door???

Hey all, I need a hand.
Actually I need an eye...
for color...


I got a bit obsessed with AS Antoinette pink.
Now my front door is pink. 
I am having second thoughts.
Pink and red are my favorite colors so it isn't that I don't adore this shade...
I am just back and forth on the pink front door.


This door has been purple and red and for the last several years a kind of spring green.
I got tired of that.
What do you think?
I just cannot make up my own mind on this one.


Oh and while we are at it, what can I do about the horrible concrete steps?
I know, I only asked for one favor and now I am piling on,
but seriously,
it is UUUUUgly.


 Looking from this angle, with no pink just red and white, I am tempted to go charcoal.
I considered white but that would just disappear.
What will I do with the Halloween dec this fall?
Of course black and orange with a bit of pink can be quite pretty.
Please give me a few opinions.
Pink or no?
Love it, love it not?
While we are on the subject I must give props to Annie Sloan paint. 
I did not wax this door per the instructions for painting exterior surfaces with AS.
This is the first time in the 19 years we have lived here that the dogs have not been able to scratch through the paint in their effort to learn to use a doorknob.
It's a miracle I tell ya!


Next project is wrapping those posts with more wood and adding molding to beef them up a bit.
Wow, looking from this angle it needs a LOT of work.
First I have to finish my pine straw mulch.
Did I mention it is 105 here?
Not a fun job.
I will be awaiting your comments.

Yours in peppermint candy portholes, P.
Pin It!

14 comments:

marty (A Stroll Thru Life) said...

I love your black shutters and I think the door in black would be especially stunning. Just tie the whole porch together, then any color accessories you want to use would be fabulous. Hugs, Marty

sweetvintageofmine said...

Hello Pam! I wanted opinions in the springtime. I hadn't painted my front door in 15 yrs. (see The Front Door post and AROUND THE HOUSE POST) I went with a kettle black(dark black-gray) and LOVED it! I would paint yours something the same or have you had a GREEN-as in KELLY GREEN or GRASS GREEN? I have seen houses in mags that are white with accents of BLACK, RED, and KELLY/GRASS GREEN. It was STUNNING! If I can find the PICS, I will send to you! From one sweetie to another~~~~Roxie

sissie said...

Why not a red door since you have red on the porch. I love the pink too so either color is pretty.
I would paint the concrete, but I know that's a real chore and when the temp is this hot, I say wait until the fall.

hugs
Sissie

westernreservebutlerspantry said...

I like the pink, but I can see it doesn't give you the kick you probably wanted. I was thinking about either robin's egg blue or a deep green. If you look at my recents post the last picture is my back door painted dark green. That will give you an idea how it looks with the white.

Also I had a cement step I didn't like, so I had a wood cover made that covered all the cement. A wooden slipcover. It looked great! I painted that the same deep green as the door on floor paint.
Kathy

Wsprsweetly Of Cottages said...

I love it because it is different. Spray paint the little table the same delicate pink..at some sweet pink flowers instead of the red geraniums.. perhaps a cute front door matt with pink in it..like a little rag rug ..or oval braided one? Reds and pinks go together but usually the deeper pinks..along with the lighter ones..
I think it is adorable, especially with the little floral arrangement.
Respraying the little table would not be a problem at all..except in this horrible heat..but...do it in the early morning before breezes and heat ..and NO problem. That is what I do. Otherwise the spray turns gritty, drying before it even lands.
LOVE that front door. Anyway...that's my opinion. I am like you. Adore both colors.. :)
Mona

Jo said...

I think you have been use to bright colors and the pink doesn't give it the punch you were looking for. Charcoal or a slate might be nice as it won't be to matchey with the black shutters and deep enough to give it the punch you are looking for

Sue said...

Pam- I want to paint our front door a dark charcoal. I think that would look great on your own door, too! Of course, black would be striking, too. Both colors would definitely pack a punch. Have fun deciding! Sue

Kathy A Delightsome Life said...

Hello Pam, The pink door is great! I love how it complements your garden. I have checked out a few of these concrete stain recipes and I think there's one - a verdigris green that would look great:
http://www.stainedfloor.com/

So glad I found your blog, I have enjoyed strolling through your posts and am your newest follower,
Kathy

Kathy A Delightsome Life said...

I'm back! Guess what I found on Pinterest...
check this out

http://andwhatalicesaw.tumblr.com/post/16458386971

Like?

Kathy

lala said...

I have a white house with black shutters. My door has been painted a dark green - didn't love it. For the last 8 years it has been black. I really like it, but it is so predictable, and I am bored with it. I have been wanting to paint it either pink or robins egg blue. I love your door, and with the right accessories I think you will love it too.

Gabrielle Jeromy said...

I’m not sure if I would prefer pastel pink shade for your door. It’s kind of pale. Hmm, I suggest you get back to the red one, so your door will stand out. Even a bright yellow will do, too. What's important is you need a bold paint that will make it stand out. :)

[Gabrielle Jeromy]

Katie said...

I agree with Gabrielle. The color looks a little pale. But if you want to stick on pink, maybe you can use a different shade that is bit darker than what you have now. You can have your favorite color in a different shade, and make you door pop! Two birds in one stone!

-Katie

Gulf Coast Windows said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Gulf Coast Windows said...

Great round up! great idea especially with the white house.This one would get my vote.