Pages

Living Graciously, Artfully, Frugally.

Consciously taking notice of the gifts each day places in our path.

“I awoke this morning with devout thanksgiving for my friends, the old and the new.” R. W. Emerson

Wednesday, May 30, 2012

To Paint or Not to...(you get the picture)

A few things came home with me from Springfield
Things that needed a bit of loving care before I hauled them to my space at Ohio Valley.
Chalk paint and painted furniture were everywhere at the Vintage Marketplace and I had to ask myself, are we going too far with this painted thing?
Don't get me wrong. I was a faux finisher and decorative painter for years. 
As the trend for residential walls slowly faded, furniture just escalated.
Now most big time finishers take on commercial projects but us small beans people can revamp a kitchen or a well loved piece of furniture to update it for a home owner.
That said here are a few pieces that truly did need a bit of coverup to make them pretty again.


A poorly painted piece of provincial could not help but be improved with some Provence blue.
Seriously ugly before.
Cuter and much more in keeping with a modern vintage vibe after.
Sold in a day!


The mirror next to the newly pretty table had a shiny brass (not in the good and trendy way) frame.
A bit of French Linen and Old White dry brushing and some dark wax and she sold right away as well.


A closer look at old Mr. Brassy all face lifted.


I have a kitschy love affair with those gold plastic Syroco wall sconces. 
However I can assure you no one who shops my space has the same adoration.
Add some paint and a bit of distressing and off the shelf they fly.

 Also, Ms. ugly brown telly desk. Bring on the Antoinette and she is a sweet little drawing desk for a budding artist or a perfect place for coffee and your iPad...

I am also in love right now with Annie Sloan's Antoinette
Pink has always been a favorite color of mine and this soft powdery shade is just yummcious. 
 I even painted my front door pink. 
It is now a perfectly hued entry to Frippery Farmhouse.


More of that kitschy gold transformed to fit with any elegant room.
You see what I mean?
Not everything should be painted just because we can, but some things simply NEED paint.


One more case in point.
I have had these very nice italian prints in hideous fake marble? burl? tortoise?  
...something... frames, forever.
I see these at Goodwill all the time.
I have just begun to add some paint.
Holy Cannoli!
Better already and not even half done.


These sweet things are heading for my dining room.
What do you think of the painted furniture trends?
Brights vs. pastels?
White everything?
All good?
Just wondering...

Yours in a rainbow fog, P.

Pin It!

7 comments:

sissie said...

Great pieces Pam and I can see why everything has sold so quickly.

I love painted furniture and don't think I'll ever tire of it, but who knows what is in store for next year's decor. I've been painting a few pieces with colors like soft blues and greens and using techniques mixed with dry brushing.

I have grown tired of the all white thing. It's just not for me but I see it is still very popular.

hugs
Sissie

marty (A Stroll Thru Life) said...

Love the look of the painted furniture as long as a whole house doesn't become white. That just isn't my taste. Probably painted will be here for a while, but I do love the look of good wood. Hugs, Marty

Diane Cayton-Hakey said...

I like a few pieces of painted furniture that I've seen, but some gals just don't do a great job of it. My husband doesn't like it at all, so I'll probably never have any in our home unfortunately.

Crystal Rose Cottage said...

I do like painted furniture and I do like the white but I think the white can be overdone. I am drawn to pastels but some brights are perfect in the right situation. I just wish the Chalk Paint wasn't so expensive!~Hugs, Patti

Wsprsweetly Of Cottages said...

I love white..but I only have a few pieces in my living room..coffee and end tables. I honestly do love color. Love those gentle pastels too. What the heck!!! I love it all! I am..a Libra after all..and ride the fence on every single thing in life! :) You can do no wrong in my book. Natural woods..love those grains..
Enjoy what appeals to you. In a year or two we will probably all be back to "stripping" like we did in the 60's and 70's and ooooh and ahhh over the beautiful grain that appears. Please yourself..that's what I say!
Anything can be changed. :) (almost)
Hugs to you..
Mona

Wsprsweetly Of Cottages said...

Ok..now I need something pastel..but..hmmmm..what?? :)
Great pieces.

westernreservebutlerspantry said...

You bring up a great question. I've always loved painted furniture. There are something's I would never paint. I try not to date the things in my home too much. Don't get me wrong, you made a HIGE improvement for the pieces you painted and they look really nice. Here I go, but am I the only one that isn't really big on the whole Anne Sloane chalk paint. I keep going to shops thinking this might be the day I'll buy a can but I never do. For some reason it just doesn't do much for me. I know all the advantages but I prefer other paint colors. I keep wondering is this the 70's all over again when women were antiquing everything but you knew it wasn't an antique anyway. It was just referred to as "antiqued".

Kathy