Pages

Living Graciously, Artfully, Frugally.

Consciously taking notice of the gifts each day places in our path.

“I awoke this morning with devout thanksgiving for my friends, the old and the new.” R. W. Emerson

Thursday, March 1, 2012

Is Brass Back for Good?

Over the past few years brass has been slowly makings it's way back into decorating. 
At first it was only tarnished well worn pieces with a hint of gleam. 
Lately polished brass has been appearing here and there on the decor websites and in shelter magazines. 


Have you added a piece or two to your home? 
Maybe you still have a few pieces packed away from the 80's. 
By now those pieces may have taken on the patina of a little age. 


It looks to me like brass is back to stay and this may be the year it really makes a debut in new ways.
 I have been picking up a piece here and there when out junking because as you know 
everything old is eventually new again. 



It looks fresh to have a bit of vintage brass mixed in with modern style. 
I am going to incorporate a few pieces into my bedroom redesign. 
It really warms things up. 



                                               We can all use a touch of sparkle in our days.
How do you feel about the return of brass? 

Begin Again, P.
Pin It!

8 comments:

Debby said...

Yeah, and I was just about to paint my brass bed. (Shiney brass, is that in)
ISn't it amazing how things come back again.
Hope you are having a good week.

Diane Cayton-Hakey said...

I can do without brass in my home. I guess all those folks buying old homes with gold and brass fixtures will be happy about this though.

Wsprsweetly Of Cottages said...

Polished brass has such a warmth. I love it and just bought two lovely candle sticks for my family room. They are just beautiful.
I have never seen one like yours..

For me it's "come back" is very welcome.

martha brown said...

I'm not too likely to have any shiny brass in my home.... I guess after living through it once, I feel "been there, done that".

Sue said...

I believe that using touches of brass is still a good thing! Same thing with the color, gold. It's classic and warm- always in style, IMHO.
:-) Sue

Emom said...

Pam, I guess we just have to live long enough to see it all come back around....I still have brass from the 80's sitting everywhere....not much of a slave to fashion here.....smiles

lala said...

Not a big fan of brass, in fact I am in the process of removing a brass lighting fixture in my foyer - I have hated it from day one, as well as all of the brass door handles, hinges, faucets, cabinet hardware and knobs!!!! Unfortunately, there is just so much of it, that I can not afford to change it all out, so I remove what bothers me most - first the light, next all of the brass fixtures in my bathroom (almost took out the grey tub & toilet).

HbbCPA said...

Brass is as old as dirt...it was bound to come back. And quite frankly, I'm sick of brushed nickel, stainless steel, and all the other silver and grey tones that have dominated decor for the past 10 years. That's why things come back - there's only really two metal finishes to choose from: silver and gold - everything else is a variation of them. Once we overdo one of them, it's time to bring back the other one so something looks new! And remember, kids who were born in the 80's are now in their 30's - so the 20-somethings just about missed the brass thing - it's totally new to them.