Pages

Living Graciously, Artfully, Frugally.

Consciously taking notice of the gifts each day places in our path.

“I awoke this morning with devout thanksgiving for my friends, the old and the new.” R. W. Emerson

Monday, December 19, 2011

A Few Favorite Things

Hi Friends,
Can't seem to stay away.
You have probably heard the quote from William Morris concerning the decoration of a home.
"Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful."
A perfect golden rule.


I have been trying to cut the excess from my surroundings and take a careful look at what I have both on display and stored.
Taking measure of each thing and appraising it's value as useful or beautiful.


What can be let go of and what would be missed.


What someone else may cherish for a time that may have lost it's luster to me.


A year end exercise in taking stock.
A form of inventory for collectors.
Making room for new vintage obsessions.
I have found much I do consider to be beautiful still.
The top of the family room desk contains all the things pictured here and it brings me joy to see each one displayed. The sweet little thermos bottles and the owl silhouette are new to me and make me smile.
Thanks to Carrie and her wonderful eye I picked these up at the City Flea last weekend.
The stack of crafty books from an Omaha antique shop reminds me of all my Silver Bella friends.
The cocktail glasses etched with K are from my in-laws and the shaker reminds me of
my parent's parties in my
childhood home.
The old typewriter from Joe's mom and dad's attic because how could it not make make me happy?
The burlap shaded lamp from TJMaxx that I couldn't pass up on clearance...yeah!


I was thinking of you and wanted to share these with you because you "get it" too.
I hope you are enjoying this week before Christmas with a twinkle in your eye and a carol in your heart.
I am.

"The things that we love tell us who we are."
St. Thomas Aquinas

Yours in being, P.
Pin It!

2 comments:

Debby said...

I share those feeling as well. Old things make room for new things that stir up memories. Love those owls by the way.
Yes, I am enjoying this week. Two Christmas celebrations already over. A week full of things this week but today doing very little. Just enjoying what is to come. I hope you have a great Christmas. It has been so nice to get to know you this year. (((((HUGS))))

sissie said...

I love seeing all of your treasures and I share your sentiments. There are things in my home that make me smile everyday and will always be with me.

I wish for you a very Merry Christmas.

hugs
Sissie