Pages

Living Graciously, Artfully, Frugally.

Consciously taking notice of the gifts each day places in our path.

“I awoke this morning with devout thanksgiving for my friends, the old and the new.” R. W. Emerson

Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Forward and Backward On the Path, but Never Alone

Hello friends,
Can one be completely discouraged by setbacks and still excited about tiny steps forward?
I am all about maintaining a bright outlook in the face of disaster.
Well, perhaps I am overstating.
We learned this week that we need a new furnace.
Not really disastrous except for the fact that we have had little income for the past two years and have steadily been trying to maintain Frippery Farmhouse as frugally as possible.

Fortunately we have been savers all these years
but seeing our little nest egg flying slowly out the window as we try to stay above water is discouraging.

I share this because I know many of you are facing similar issues and there is some comfort in knowing you are not alone.
I have connected with many other bloggers in the same circumstance and I know that I have found comfort there.
When life hands you one more lemon you search out old friends to make you feel a little less sour.
Here is one...


Not really my first choice but I happened to have a roll of bead board wallpaper left over from the bathroom and dining room ceiling projects. (Also used as a kitchen backsplash.)
I like free.


I envisioned a paneled wall beneath the sconce in our upper hallway.
This will do just fine for the present.
Quicke and easy.
We had some molding hanging about in the garage as well.


Ta freakin' da!
Perhaps I mean FREEkin'.
Finished with no outlay of money except paint.
I had planned on replacing the sconce with something a bit more farmhouse.
 I can live with this one a while longer.

Speaking of paint, this is the color I used on the hallway walls.
Behr Natural Gray.


It has just a hint of lavender in keeping with the muted pastel look. Plus it picks up the purple tone in my Kona Brown floors.
Now on to painting the stairs...again...


The white looks nice in this picture but believe me, not so nice in reality.
It has scuffed and worn and shows every speck. 
Brown it will be.
Then a little something for those bare walls.
Give me a moment to savor that fresh paint first.
I promise a whole reveal when I get my act together and finish up all the crafting I have been doing in my SPARE? time.

Until then buck up and carry on.
We can accomplish much with support and encouragement from friends 
and a little old fashioned elbow grease.

"We make ourselves rich by making our wants few."
Henry David Thoreau

Yours in a rich life, P.
Pin It!

3 comments:

Diane Cayton-Hakey said...

Really looks wonderful, Pam! SO sorry to hear about your heater... those things ain't cheap!! AND of course winter is just around the corner too. GAH... so sorry.

Debby said...

I love that wallpaper. Someone was brillant to come up with that idea.
Sorry about the furnace. Times are so hard right now. I know we are barely.....not really, making it right now. Just when I think I will shop for my grandkids, I hasve to pay another bill for my son, or my sick doggie. This week I have to get new glasses. Furnaces are so expensive. We have drained our savings the past few years. It is sad that we have all worked so hard and still struggle.
But there are always others that have it worse. I have two friends that are facing foreclosure. Both that work really hard. Just don't know what they will do.
Hang in there. I still want to get a necklace from you.
I still want to plan a Christmas lunch.....I need to get busy on that don't I.
((((((HUGS)))))

Crystal Rose Cottage said...

Hi Pam....It is so good to hear you are an optimist in hard times. If we don't try, we will make ourselves nuts! I think everyone is having a hard time these days or we have kids we have to help. Your free beadboard does look wonderful and I am glad it put a smile on your face! ~Hugs, Patti