Pages

Living Graciously, Artfully, Frugally.

Consciously taking notice of the gifts each day places in our path.

“I awoke this morning with devout thanksgiving for my friends, the old and the new.” R. W. Emerson

Friday, July 22, 2011

Shopping the House for Summer, Vintage Style

Free decorating by shopping the house is the best.
I was ready to change the feel around here from July to August.
Jumping the gun a bit, yes, but hey, it was time for a more serene look.
A fireplace mantel or shelf is always a prime candidate for a quick change.


July's mantel consisted of red, white and blue vintage books and my favorite little figurine. Having a boy and girl this has been one of my best finds.
A thrifted glass vase (or my size wine glass, haha, hee hee, I crack myself up) is filled with vintage art and craft supplies. RWB of course.
A postcard and luggage tag (thanks Deb) are propped with a wooden measuring tape. (Tape, stick? what do you call those folding things?)


Just a gathering of vintage pieces in the correct color scheme or theme can make a statement.
Patriotic July moves into sand and sea August.


Colors of the beach, and of course some vintage cameras, give that vacation feel.


Dried hydrangea and some grasses in an aqua jar are reminiscent of sea grass and water.


Simple and calming, oh yes and thrifty.
What vintage bits do you have at hand to stage a summer space in your home?
Do tell...

"Thrift is not an affair of the pocket, but an affair of character."
S.W. Straus

Yours in the love of vintage, P.


Pin It!

5 comments:

marty (A Stroll Thru Life) said...

Oh I love the change. The cameras are such a great accessory and the flowers are just the perfect punch of color. Beautifully done. Hugs, Marty

Sue said...

Pam, Love the use of the cameras on the mantel and the gorgeous blue jars filled with hydrangeas! It's such a serene look. I need to re-do my own mantel, but probably won't until the fall, which will be here soon enough! Getting ready for a big backyard project in 2 weeks, so I have little gumption to change much in the house. Not a lot of time to go junkin' either. This is what you do when you know you can't sell your house for what it's worth these days- you fix up and enjoy it! :-) Sue

zandra said...

You ALWAYS have such a great touch. Love all the vintage camera's.
Hugz, Z

trash talk said...

Girl, I'm too lazy to change things up much, but Jenn is always coming over and shopping my barns! (I say shopping...why is it my daughter never brings any money when she's here?)
Love both the mantle redos.
Debbie
P.S. You crack me up too! LYttH!

amyd said...

great little vignettes - I love to change things up too but never seem to find the time lately - hope you are enjoying your summer!
amy of four corners design