Pages

Living Graciously, Artfully, Frugally.

Consciously taking notice of the gifts each day places in our path.

“I awoke this morning with devout thanksgiving for my friends, the old and the new.” R. W. Emerson

Saturday, July 30, 2011

Garden 180

No, that's not quite the temperature, just feels that way by noon.
Therefore I have been getting out to tend the garden at the crack of dawn lately to try to salvage what is left after this broiling midsummer has baked every bloom to toasty brown.


The only thing the heat hasn't stopped is the weeds.
After making a bit of headway I took a much needed rest for coffee. (I know, hot, but remember the whole crack of dawn thing)
Of course my camera is always by my side, so as I wilted into my chair I took a few shots in a semi circle.
Hence the 180.


This area of the garden is a patio off of our walk out basement. It has some semblance of shade for much of the day.
It is still somewhat lush.


So I thought a would share a bit of cool morning greenery.
Especially for us parched midwesterners.
The heat isn't that unusual for this time of year here, but every July we complain that it has NEVER been this hot. 
Oh, and you southerners too, who are used to this. Sheesh, I do love the south and plan to be a belle in my next life, but how do you take it?


Well, back at it. I refuse to let the heat get the better of my garden.
Even if it kills me.


We still have August...

"Ah, summer, what power you have to make us suffer and like it."
Russell Baker

Yours in sunny days, P.
Pin It!

9 comments:

T's Daily Treasures said...

Your yard sure looks green and gorgeous to me. It's 2:00 pm here and 113 degrees. I have two balconies with potted plants; the succulents are fine, but everything else fried while we were away for 10 days. I am happy even when weeds begin to sprout just to have something grow. Have a wonderful weekend. Tammy P.S. I'm a southern gal but the older I get, the less I can take the heat. :/

Lori @ Katies Rose Cottage Designs said...

Your garden looks beautiful! I live in Texas and mine is soooo pathetic looking ~ I miss flowers because they are all choking ~
thank you for sharing yours with us ~

xoxo
Lori

trash talk said...

When July hits full force, I sometimes question my sanity for living in Texas. Heck...even Satan leaves Tejas during the summer months!
Your hydrangeas are gorgeous. Mine are beginning to look like kindling.
Deb

Snappy Di said...

Thank goodness for the green of summer, without it I think I'd just spend all of July in bed! Waaaay to hot out there.

Crystal Rose Cottage said...

I love to be outside all the time in the Spring, Summer and Fall but this year is really a hot one! It's not so much the heat but the humidity that gets to me. When I do go outside I am afraid to move or I will start to feel sweaty....hate that! It's much better than snow and ice so I'll stop complaining now. ~Hugs, Patti

Pam said...

I'm tired of watering all these darn plants. Your back yard looks beautiful though. Love the hydrangea. Mine haven't really bloomed too much yet. Maybe I haven't watered them enough!

Debby said...

Hi there. I thought I was following you and realized I wasn't. I tried two time to follow by clicking on the top....didn't work. I finally clicked on the follow by your list of followers and I am offically following. So sorry I have missed your posts. Your pictures are just beautiful. It is way too hot, isn't it. Ready for a break. STay cool.

La Vie Quotidienne said...

I know what you mean...it is hot here too! But as you said, the weeds continue to grow, sometimes it seems even faster then the cultivated plants. Your garden looks lush and lovely.

Sandra said...

Oh your garden looks beautiful. Boy! It's been way too hot in my part of Texas. Too hot and too dry. We desperately need rain. Thanks for sharing your photos with us.
Blessings,
Sandra