Pages

Living Graciously, Artfully, Frugally.

Consciously taking notice of the gifts each day places in our path.

“I awoke this morning with devout thanksgiving for my friends, the old and the new.” R. W. Emerson

Saturday, June 11, 2011

Tenacity

A couple of things.
Being an artist and a junker, I never felt I had really earned either title. 
These are things I want to be when I grow up.
Ummm...time is running out.
I have been plugging away at working instead of playing at these two passions.


Things seem to be paying off. We will be participating in a new Antiques and Craft show in New Richmond, Ohio tomorrow, and if all goes well we will come back each month through the fall.
So I have been frantically gathering things, small things, for the show tomorrow and wishing I had a truck for big things when I get a call from my favorite antique mall, Ohio Valley Antiques, this afternoon. I have been on a waiting list FOREVER. They have two spaces open and I will be choosing the one I want Monday. 
See???... tenacity...good things come to those who wait and all that.


These flowers are a lesson in tenacity. Both are what gardeners call volunteers. In other words they have planted themselves and will not give up. The rose is a wild one that is growing right through the center of my Hibiscus shrub. It is huge, like ten by ten, and currently covered with a mass of pink dainty roses.
Who am I to say it doesn't belong?
I welcome back this lovely lady year after year.
Providence planted her in just the right spot and she isn't going anywhere.


The hollyhocks? Well, they are never going away, much to my dismay. I adore them right now although after many years of self seeding the only truly tenacious blooms seem to be a rather boring vanilla. Where is the riot of pinks and reds?
In about a week or two I will not be loving them so much. How can anything so gorgeous become so shabby and tattered looking as it ages?
Well, that's a whole other lesson.
One I would rather not touch today.
If you are enjoying a lazy Sunday in the New Richmond area, stop by and say hi. I will be the slightly tattered and well aged lady in the Junk Gypsy hat (Thanks Deb!) who is tenaciously clinging to her dream.

"Patience and tenacity are worth more than twice their weight of cleverness."
Thomas Huxley

Yours in hanging in there, P.

Oh, by the way, check back next week. I will be having a FANTASTIC give away! Really!
 I mean super GOOD!
Pin It!

8 comments:

Anne Huskey-Lockard said...

Ah, and it is perspective, as I would give anything for those lovely vanilla hollyhocks! I have *ONE* pink one that seems to scoot under the ground and come up in a new spot each year....
I can smell that wild rose; ours in the south acre are not blooming yet, but when they do, the air is heavy with their delicious scent.
Congrats on the booth space and shows! It will all work out! HAVE FAITH ♥♥♥

XXOO~~
Anne

Teresa said...

Congratulations on the new booth space...and good luck at the show in New Richmond. Is the Antique Mall close to (my favorite) Jungle Jim's?

La said...

Congratulations! I'm glad your perseverance is paying off.

It has beem years since I've see hollyhocks.

Good luck at the show! La

Vintage Jane said...

Love your blog! Hope you don't mind but I have nominated you for the 'Versatile Blogger' award! http://vintage-jane.blogspot.com/2011/06/award.html

Sue said...

Hi Pam- I talked to the Sharon from New Richmond- she was at my porch sale in Waynesville at the end of May. Since this is a brand new show, can you give me a heads up on how you think it went? Were there good crowds and lots of vendors? Congrats on getting a booth at the antique mall. I wish we had some good ones around here, but unfortunately, there are none that I want to try and get in to. Hope your foot is doing okay~ drop by sometime. :-) Sue

JunqueMagnet said...

Oh I wish I has seen this in time to attend.Hope it went well and the junque was flying out of your booth!Do tell more about the show - goodness knows we need some good vintage markets around here!

trash talk said...

You just made you tattered and shabby soul sister smile. Could you hear it?
I love finding little "volunteers" in my yard since my paid recruits rarely make it through muster!
Debbie
P.S. You're welcome...and I miss you!

Emom said...

You images are lovely!....smiles.