Pages

Living Graciously, Artfully, Frugally.

Consciously taking notice of the gifts each day places in our path.

“I awoke this morning with devout thanksgiving for my friends, the old and the new.” R. W. Emerson

Friday, February 4, 2011

True Colors, Paint Colors That Is

My inspiration. 
Candy coated pastels.
 
 I will never be over vintage treasures.
Why buy new? 
What I am so over.
Gloomy dark chocolate brown.
It sucks the sunshine right out of the rooms.
Dramatic, yes, but no more drama for me.
How to change my surroundings and not spend a mint?
Paint!
 Ah that is looking much better. 
A breath of freshness.
Reminds me of the colors I grew up with.
Happy, cheerful, Leave It To Beaver colors.
Just what is needed to lift the spirits these days.
 Words of encouragement
on vintage flash cards.
 "Please make a wish right now."
Robins chirping in a painted black frame with craft paper matte.
Bits from a blogging pal to hold the words together.
Thanks Lorraine!
 A shelf refreshed with color and a new display.
A $3 frame, painted, and free cows in a pasture from The Vintage Moth in the perfect colors.
 I am still tweeking my way through the house. 
Flipped the vintage doors in the dining room from the black side to the white.
Ahhh, so much brighter in here!
 I can't believe there are no before pictures anywhere on the blog of the base of my dining table!
It was the same oak brown as the top.
No more. Anyone for a touch of blue skies?
The cost for all of this so far has been a gallon of paint and a couple of samples.
The entry walls are Behr Cucumber Crush 440C-2.
The yellow frame is a sample of Caribbean Sunrise UL180-19.
Love the color but haven't decided if it will be my new kitchen color or not. I may just keep the soft vanilla it is already painted.
As always, the trim is Behr Swiss Coffee right off the shelf in semi gloss.
The table and shelf are some paint that had been sitting in the garage and I can no longer
read the name. It is Behr though...did you have to ask?
The table has been drybrushed and glazed as well.
 

 How do you like it so far?
Oh my, I have to get to these floors too. My early 90's bleached oak will be totally back in style before I get to them!
BTW... should I leave the table top, sand it down for a weathered finish, ala Pottery Barn  or Restoration Hardware, or maybe paint it?
I also want to add faux panels to the bottom of the entry walls. 
I love the board and batten everyone is doing. 
Not sure about that part yet.
Oh, and those black chairs...not loving them with the lighter look...hmmmm.
Slipcovers perhaps?
One thing leads to another.
On to the powder room.
Not bad for a few days of work.
I look at projects and put them off and then when I finally do them, they go so quickly I wonder why I ever hesitated.

"All things are difficult before they are easy."
Yours in working towards joy, P.


Today I am linking to...



Pin It!

17 comments:

Snappy Di said...

You had me at the photo of candy coated pastels... such little pretties!

Di

Sandy aka Doris the Great said...

It all looks lovely! I'm painting sometime soon; going from a pale green to a pale yellow -- I want sunshine too!

Anne Huskey-Lockard said...

Your table looks identical to mine---it was my grandmother's and I would not dare paint it! LOL!
I have a front hall painted velvet red--I have never regretted it. I love butter yellow, and sky blue. I have lived in houses with so little wall color, I think my way of rebelling is going for the most in your face colors. Not neutrals, but COLORS!
(yes, occasionally it could be compared to a crayon box.....)
Love your new colors though--sets off all your pretty things!

XXOO~~♥
Anne

Hopemore Studio said...

Pretty, pretty! What a great way to lighten up. I can see it is lifting your spirits as well. Love the color choices, can't wait to see what else your productive little self gets done..lol.

Angie

Lisa Phillippi llelsik@aol.com said...

Everything looks Beautiful! I need to do the same thing...but some improvements need to be done first...that will open a whole big can of worms! It's overwhelming..so I just do little things here and there!

BEACH BUNGALOW said...

Love your colours and your home!

Sue @ Beach Bungalow
xo

Sue said...

I think a lot of us are changing to lighter colors, Pam. I'm shifting to neutral grays. I will probably use some pastels in the bedrooms. I have to get out of my brown mode! LOL Like your pastel colors! ~ Sue

Debra@Common Ground said...

I'm all for your lighter pastel shades. When I was growing up each room was a different pastel. love that new color, so pretty! And I think I'd leave the table top stained. I've done that with several pieces here and it ties alot of furniture together. So glad you shared it with all of us at VIF!
xo,
Debra

trash talk said...

All right June...were you wearing pearls while painting? It looks wonderful...so you!
Debbie
P.S. What is that color on the bottom part of the wall in photo #2?

Courtney ~ French Country Cottage said...

Hi there~ Everything looks so pretty! I have to say I am absolutely loving that darling banner out of flash cards!! Fabulous!! Thank you for sharing at Feathered Nest Friday! :)

Laura said...

It looks lovely and refreshing and calming and ...(I could go on and on.)

I want something new on the walls, but here I sit.

It has been a tough 18 months, but I am starting to get my mojo back!

That feels good-

Laura
WSP

Myko said...

I just found your blog and I must say, WOW! It is so beautiful!! Your house is amazing! Love, love, love it! Great job.:)

Embellish said...

It is absolutely beautiful but, I thought it was beautiful before. I love when you post about your home. It is sooooo beautiful and magazine worthy. Every detail is done to perfection.

Creative Breathing said...

Such a beautiful and elegant home! Oh to have an eye for home design! I wanted to let you know I have created a special blog page for our HHTA at wwwhappyhomemakertagalong.blogspot.com (note no . after www I don't know why) This will allow easy access to past month's tags without having to wade through the many posts on my blog as well as let us get to know each other through a blog link list. I do hope to see you there on the tenth. I am so looking forward to another round of creative tags. (You may also connect to the page through the HH button on my side bar) See you there! Elizabeth

lauren@WESTFURNITUREREVIVAL said...

HI I LOVE YOUR BLOG AND IVE AWARDED YOU THE VERSATILE BLOGGER AWARD. STOP BY CHECK OUT THE AWARD IM GIVING YOU

LAUREN

just me jan said...

Pam...we met at Chantal's last summer...I have to admit I only drop in on your blog every now and then, but when I do I find such WONDERFUL inspiration! I LOVE the direction you've taken...I'm surrounding myself with whites and shades of taupe in my home office...toss in a splash of soft "color" here and there and I'm happy as a bug in a rug. BTW...I'd run over small children and lame animals to get that bird print of yours! LOL
just me...offerin' a thumbs up...jan

Carole said...

WOw love your candy color inspiration and great color for the mirror. It looks just like Martha's.
I would leave the table top as is.

can't wait to see more color!
xx
Carole