Pages

Living Graciously, Artfully, Frugally.

Consciously taking notice of the gifts each day places in our path.

“I awoke this morning with devout thanksgiving for my friends, the old and the new.” R. W. Emerson

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Adjusting My Perspective

Do you ever feel that you have defined life into such a focused view that you have difficulty accepting change? Not that you don't see the necessity, you just can't visualize the good that can come from doing things differently.

So you take a step back and try to view things from a different angle. Perhaps like Alice, seeing the looking glass world.
Trying your best to see things more clearly.
Still, things seem off kilter, not the way you are used to seeing them.
Then it hits you.
Stop trying to see the way things ought to be, by the way they have always been. Life is not black and white, rules laid out and unchanging.
This finally hit me last week as I was searching for tips on photography from all you wonderful bloggers. I had been bemoaning the many changes in my family's lives in the past few years. 
Job loss, almost empty nest, going back to work after raising children all these years, things around here that need doing but just can't be managed right now... I want to stay "mommy",  keeping the home fires burning, not letting go of the things that are flying out of my grasp, yada yada...you get the picture.
Living just didn't seem as bright and colorful as it had in the past. As I was touting my list of if only's and thinking of all the things I had planned and all of the things I thought I needed, it hit me. Like a stop sign right in the kisser.
At the top of my wish list for the past several years has been a digital SLR. Oh if I just had that camera all of my photos would magically be transformed. Poor me. 
We can't even think of anything like that right now. Boo hoo.
So as I was reading all of those wonderful photo tips, the one that jumped out at me was...READ YOUR MANUAL!!!
 Really? Well, gee whiz...seriously?...I never gave it a shot. My vision was so blurred by what I thought I needed that I never gave a thought to seeing things differently.
 Come to find out, my camera can do all kinds of things I never paid attention to.
I have a great camera, capable of helping me capture lovely images. Not the one I thought I wanted. But the one that will work for me. The only one I need at this point.
Don't expect unbelievable photos any time soon, but, they may be a bit more creative...or at least clearer and brighter...I am learning new things...
Maybe I need to start thinking this way about my own life. There are so many vantage points from which to see the road ahead.
I will take more time to explore, change perspective, see in a different light.

It is time to shake things up a bit. Expect the best, or at least stop expecting everything to remain the same. Change the narrow view to allow other possibilities...
for gosh sakes at least pick up the MANUAL and learn a new trick or two...whatever your manual may be. Clear vision is just a change in perspective.

Taking a step back and looking with a new view in mind.
That said, I am feeling much better about new paths.
Oh, one more thing...Seeing the dining room "through the looking glass" so to speak...
Don't you think it looks too serious? In my new vision of home as a candy colored dream...
How about lemon cream?
I will always have the weekends, right?

One World One Heart give away winners will be chosen tomorrow!!!
I can't wait to see who will win my angel.

"The world is round and the place which may seem like the end may also be only the beginning."  ~Ivy Baker Priest

Yours in clear sight, P.

Pin It!

12 comments:

Anne Huskey-Lockard said...

It is so odd that you mentioned wanting a new digital, as I have been WHINING the same tune; and then I thought, well, find your manual for the current camera.
Except I have put it away someplace *safe* and it is nowhere to be found at the moment, and I really NEED it.
Sometimes life throws us these curves to make us reassess and think.
I'm still trying to think where that blasted manual is.....grrrrr......

XXOO~~♥
Anne

trash talk said...

What do I know Pam...I've always thought your photography skills were pretty darn good. As a matter of fact, I was going to get a camera like yours. It's like somebody told me...you can have the world's greatest camera, but if you don't have the "eye" you might as well be working with crayons (I added that last part..lol). You, my friend...have the eye!
I'm sitting here wishing my mirrors were as clean as yours...instead of getting off my fanny and cleaning 'em!
Your slightly out-of-focus friend,
Deb
P.S. Tell Anne she can download most manuals off the internet.

Debra@Common Ground said...

Good advice Pam, for photography AND life! Great post!
hugs and love,
Debra

marty (A Stroll Thru Life) said...

Great advice. I think we all wish things were different from time to time. It is so much better to look forward to today and what is happening now. Loved this post. Hugs, Marty

sissie said...

Hi Pam,
Thanks for the wonderful words of wisdom! I keep saying that someday I'm going to read my manual, but never get around to it.
Maybe I'll start focusing in on using what I already have.

Thanks for the inspiration.

hugs
Sissie

B said...

I love the new way you're looking at things. I haven't read my manual either ;O)
B x

Claudia said...

Such a wise post, Pam! I have been going through much the same thing. Money is more than tight, work is hard to find...we need lots of things. Just recently I wrote posts about how I wanted a DSLR and I do. But I also thought to myself: You haven't even begun to explore what your camera can do. It was time to take it off Auto and play. I'm trying to learn something new as often as possible.

xo
Claudia

janjan said...

What a wonderful inspiring and thought provoking post. Thank you. Certainly made me think differently, just what I needed to hear right at this moment.

Sorry I didn't thank you earlier for your comments on my blog. For some reason u had been put in my spam folder - I didn't even know I had one.

Jan

{Bellamere Cottage} said...

You must have been speaking to ME! Oh my gosh... My dad always used to tell me "if all else fails, read the directions".....and every so often....and I seriously mean VERY occasionally, the light goes on for me too and I actually see something in a different "light".... And, I must say, it always surprises me. I get so caught up in the "here and now" that I always fail to stand back.... Loved this post...and your pix werw AWESOME!

Warm blessings,
Spencer

Laura said...

You are so smart Miss Pam.
Period.
The End.

Laura

Snappy Di said...

Great advice! Something I totally need to do with my camera as well.

Di

mitziscollectibles said...

Wow, there seem to be a lot of us gals in the same boat right now. I just began spending a little time reading my camera's manual too! You are several steps ahead of me, with your gorgeous photos and all, but now I'm inspired to spend more time this weekend with Mr. Camera to see if I can improve a little more. By the way, this is my first visit to your site and I think your blog is delightful!