Pages

Living Graciously, Artfully, Frugally.

Consciously taking notice of the gifts each day places in our path.

“I awoke this morning with devout thanksgiving for my friends, the old and the new.” R. W. Emerson

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Word of the Day

Lately I have been waking up feeling as grey as the weather. Don't get me wrong, if it's winter, I prefer it to be covered in snow. It's just that life is speeding by and I can't seem to catch up, better to just pull the covers over my head and wait for spring.



This morning for instance. The alarm went off and I lay in bed listening to the list of school delays and closings. I remember it hasn't been but a few years since I would listen with anticipation for our school district's name. I adored snow days and being able to give the good news of a free day to my kids. Then make a leisurely breakfast of french toast and crispy bacon to entice them down the stairs. We could stay in our jammies and watch the snow fall, play a game, read a book, build a snowman...text friends... watch youtube videos...(you know how it goes). Still, we were all together and snug. Now, no more snow days in our house, just the radio letting me know it is time to face the day.



So face it, I do. While sitting at my desk I pull out my little magnifying mirror which I have been keeping there as an important tool. Why, you may ask? Because I don't need another person brushing a stray piece of hair from my face and then finding, much to both our dismay, that it is attached...to my face! Beside my mirror, I keep my tweezers, no more embarassing hairs growing where they shouldn't. This is a part of aging I didn't really count on. Yuck!




 Now, that's done...let's look at my word of the day calendar...Really?...Do I need this?...The word today is "rugose", meaning full of wrinkles... Thanks karma, or whoever is in charge of practical jokes on midlife women. What's tomorrow's word, perhaps "hirsute"?  This is getting old, no pun intended.
Know any plastic surgeons who need a little free practice? Hope your day goes smoothly.

Oh well, like the saying goes, "It's better than the alternative."
Yours in rugosity, P.
Pin It!

12 comments:

Lou Cinda @ Tattered Hydrangeas said...

Pam, if it makes you feel any better at all....I SO feel your pain!! I said the other day, growing old just sucks!!

Looking to Spring!

Lou Cinda

Linda @ A La Carte said...

Love the magnifying mirror and tweezers. I have this one hair on my neck and it drives me nuts.

michelle said...

Oh how I feel you pain about the hair! I think the hair on my face is coming in better than my hubbies.....sigh.....I was plucking away last night just thinking....really?? I hope your day goes better!! Hugs!!!

Sea Witch said...

You know,I adore my crows feet, the lines of time and life's richness showing on my face. The mileage I have acquired I am very proud of, both the good and the not so good. It is a reflection of what I have gone through with no regrets. I will be 57 this year and I look forward to it with anticipation, learning, and lots of laughter. Plastic surgeon, not for me, but I could use a good orthapedic surgeon as my knee needs a good replacement. LOL Blessings to you beautiful woman. Sea Witch

Claudia said...

I hear you. Those stray hairs are not a fun part of the aging process. And the gray weather always brings me down.

I think it is easy to feel a bit listless and 'gray' during the middle of winter. Hang in there. Do something nice for yourself today.

xo
Claudia

trash talk said...

Girl...I am roaring! Tell me dear friend...how does Liz Taylor get away with being hirsute? (I read that in a bio on her..that's why she and Montgomery Clift got along so well...both hirsutey!)
Gaa...I love this post. I remember when snow days were fun too...now it just means a cold butt!
Is that you in that darling photo?
Debbie

sissie said...

I can so relate. Getting older is not for the weak!

hugs
Sissie

clustres said...

What was that you said? I couldn't hear ya.

Sandy aka Doris the Great said...

I do the tweezers bit too! Oh, it sucks to be rugose!

La said...

You made me laugh and as grumpy as I've been lately...that's saying something.

How fair is it that as we women age, the hair on our face grows, but our eyesight deteriorates so much so that we can't see the hair?

Life is cruel. ;o}

Geralyn Gray said...

Good post........I wake up so early in the morning with no get up and go.....and the snow just makes it worse....the hairs thing are now a daily ritual.........my mom always tells me not to get old and I always tell her that means I would be dead..........my oh my.....wouldn't trade any of it for the alternative.....so I guess every thing is ok......but, if we could slow things down ---it would be nice!!!!

amyd said...

haven't visited for a while - and I've missed so much! I love your new banner and layout!
and don't even get me started on the stray/gray hair thing - I plucked a white hair growing out of a mole on my chin! and the fading eyesight makes it all so much more challenging!
anyway - hang in there!
amy of four corners design