Pages

Living Graciously, Artfully, Frugally.

Consciously taking notice of the gifts each day places in our path.

“I awoke this morning with devout thanksgiving for my friends, the old and the new.” R. W. Emerson

Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Still Celebrating in Cincinnati


I hope all of you enjoyed a merry and bright Christmas. Ours, here at Frippery farmhouse, was just lovely. We enjoyed a Christmas Eve annual get together at our dear friend's Sue and Tom's and had a quiet and cozy Christmas morning opening gifts with the kids. 
We always host Christmas dinner for the family at our home and each year seems more precious than the last. My brother's boys are growing so swiftly that I can see the men they will be in glimpses here and there.
When all the Christmas excitement was over, we prepped for round two with hub's sister and her family visiting from Chicago. They arrived Monday and we have had some great times. Once again the children are growing before our eyes!
Yesterday we all met my son and his girlfriend in Mt. Adams for sushi at Teak (one of our favorite places). A table for ten and four platters full while we caught up on everything and everyone. Then across the bridge to Newport on the Levee to view our beautiful city at dusk.
 
 The light was just right and the cold wind definitely still held the scent of celebration.
 Mt. Adams, the neighborhood where we devoured our sushi, can be glimpsed to the right of the bridge. You can see the steeple of Holy Cross Immaculata Church at the peak.
(I could go into a history lesson about my beloved city but I will save that for another time.)

Looking west as the sun set you can see Covington Ky. and and the riverboats floating on the icy Ohio River.
Luckily we found a spot to warm up and have a little photo session. My niece and daughter are in front, oldest nephew and brother and sister in law follow and hubs brings up the rear. My middle nephew was hiding somewhere behind everyone. 
What a week this has been so far!
A few more shots of Cincinnati as the sun set. I don't know which season I would call my favorite. There is so much to love about each one. The stark and chilly winter sky can be so amazingly beautiful. A perfect backdrop to my hometown on this December night.
If your week has been half as special as ours you are blessed indeed. I know we are.
Have a happy last week of 2010 and may the promise of a fantastic new year live inside your heart.

Have a warmhearted Wednesday, P.
Pin It!

5 comments:

La said...

It sounds like you had a wonderful extended Christmas. I love the pictures of Cincinnati at dusk. I've only ever been there during the day.

Happy New Year! La

Snappy Di said...

BEAUTIFUL photos but wow, does it ever look cold! We are finally warming up this week but December has proven to truly feel like winter this year otherwise.

Di

trash talk said...

Sigh...you're never gonna move to Texas. You love your city way too much to ever leave and I do believe the roots are twisted in your heart for ever more.
Your Christmas sounds like something out of a book...just lovely!
Debbie

ALVN of WhisperWood Cottage and Junkologie said...

Gorgeous photos! Happy new year!!

Amy

Scrappy Jessi said...

Hey Doll,
"Happy New Year!"
Have A Fabulous 2011!
oxooxx,
Jessi