Pages

Living Graciously, Artfully, Frugally.

Consciously taking notice of the gifts each day places in our path.

“I awoke this morning with devout thanksgiving for my friends, the old and the new.” R. W. Emerson

Sunday, November 14, 2010

Clowning Karma Revisited

 I thought I would re-post my ridiculous teapot incident from last April just for laughs as well as the fact that I am to swamped for anything new. I had been ignoring life around me for the pleasure of blogging way too much at the time and karma came around to bite me in the you know where. I do think I may have finally learned my lesson. I do have a better balance on frivolity and the nitty gritty of daily life...

On to my punishment. As I was sitting at my computer reveling in your comments and sipping a cup of tea, with my kitchen not more than 16' behind me, I heard a strange noise. I even thought to myself, "What is making that noise?" Now, just so you know, my husband was on the couch in the same room playing a video game, and he did not notice a problem either. (although I am getting all the blame because, as we all know, blogging is not as important as a video game) Do you see my sweet little red and white tea pot sitting on the burner. Isn't it cute?
Not so much any more. The sound I was ignoring was the cute tulip teapot flaming away on the stove top while I perused comments. I swore that I had turned off the burner, but apparently I turned it to the highest setting instead. (Isn't this what starts to happen before someone decides you can't live at home any more and they ship you off to supervised care?) So we got the flames put out and the house didn't burn down...this time. But look what happened to my sweet little pot, not to mention the stove top.
That wrinkled red thing is the lovely plastic handle now welded to the stainless steel. Not too cute anymore, huh? Besides the sound of crackling flames that I was too busy to heed, you would think I would at least have heard the little tulip knob popping right off that sucker from the heat.
Luckily, this is one of the Jenn-Air cooktops with removable burner cartridges, so I only have to replace the 2 burner cartridge. After much scraping and reheating to melt the rest of the plastic off I think I will just live with this as is. I would rather spend my money on cute little tea pots. Tee hee. Do you think I have learned my lesson? Me either.

Good lesson ehhh? I sure miss that little teapot though.
Have a searingly scintillating Sunday, P.
Pin It!

9 comments:

marty (A Stroll Thru Life) said...

Oh my, what a sad little teapot. So glad you are all ok and the range did survive. Hugs, Marty

Linda @ A La Carte said...

Oh my..so glad nothing else burned. I know the feeling of 'forgetting' to turn things off or turning to high instead of off...they are still letting me live at home for the time being. :)

Sandy aka Doris the Great said...

Lucky woman!

Carole said...

I needed this right now. thanks for sharing your little mishap.
I think we've all burned a pot or two but not a cute teapot like that one.

Good thing it wasn't worse!
xx
carole

amyd said...

this story was hilarious...I won't even go into what I have done to the top of stove when I was not paying attention. Sorry for the demise of the teapot but I'm sure with your junking, you will find another!
amy of four corners design

Emom said...

I am very sorry to see that....but happy to know you are part of my tribe....the teapot killers....yes, I too kill in the name of hot water....so sorry....smiles.

Embellish said...

God love ya! Ironically, this just happened to my mother. She asked my nephew to turn the burner off and he unkowingly turned it up. Thankfully, my sister discovered it. This is the same nephew that caught her bathroom on fire when he as little. lol

Cathy ~ Tadpoles and Teacups said...

Ohhh noooo! Poor little teapot. I had a similar incident a few years ago, only it involved a half dozen eggs boiling away on my stove top. Long story short, there are still a few remnants of exploded eggs on my kitchen ceiling. A royal mess, but the worst part was the horrible burn smell that lingered for days....ugh!!

Geralyn Gray said...

Came by to wish you and yours a very Happy Thanksgiving!!!!