Pages

Living Graciously, Artfully, Frugally.

Consciously taking notice of the gifts each day places in our path.

“I awoke this morning with devout thanksgiving for my friends, the old and the new.” R. W. Emerson

Friday, August 6, 2010

Green and Free!

I have been moving things again. The marble topped coffee table is back in the "library" which is now a "sitting room" and the dining table is back in the family room and the previous "living room" is now a shared office for hubs and I. Follow me? I am kind of lost as well. Anyway, all of this moving left me without a coffee table. So, inspired by Donna at Funky Junk's painted stairway and the feeling that I wanted to go a bit more "urban rustic" I made one.


Made a trip to the old kid's "camp" where all things rusty and wooden go to wait for reinvention. (Scary, right?)


Nabbed some suitably decrepit pieces of chunky wood and hauled them back to the house.


Pulled our old coffee table base out of the garage. My son and friends took over the garage for a while during the high school years and turned it into their hang out. This coffee table, which had outlived it's usefulness indoors, was painted and graffittied to within an inch of it's life.


Out came the trusty RustOLeum spray paint, goodbye "Bear" (sorry Jena). My son has been dating them same lovely girl going on five years now, and Bear is his nickname for her, long story.


Sawed the wood to the same (relatively) length. Out came my nail gun and a few cross pieces underneath to hold the top together.


Not quite even on the ends but I have a plan for that later.


Printed out some letters and numbers with personal meaning.


Cut them out as one time use stencils. Super easy.


Black and white for a faded charcoal color. I wanted to keep the pallette neutral.


Stencil.


Stencil.


Stain.


Coffee table. Nothing in this project cost me a dime. I only used what I had on hand or could drag from the back yard. I may refine it a bit later but it is perfectly useful as is.


Won't you join me for a nice cuppa?

I am linking to ...
Remodelaholic
Miss Mustard Seed
Just a Girl
The Shabby Nest Frugal Friday
Strut Your Stuff


Perfectly Imperfect
My Romantic Home
 

Have a green weekend, P.
Pin It!

29 comments:

Tamra said...

Fantastic!!

The end result is "Pottery Barn" worthy and best of all it was free. Gotta love that.

trash talk said...

If only I could! Would you let me put my feet up on your "new" coffee table?
Gotta love a gal and her nail gun!!!
Debbie

Marilyn said...

Cool..... looks like something from a high-end boutique!!
Great job Pam!!
Love,
Marilyn

La said...

Pam ~ Your table is terrific!

Have a great weekend! La

Rochelle said...

LOVE IT!!
-Rochelle

Snappy Di said...

LOVE this table... L.O.V.E. it!!

Di

sissie said...

What a great looking coffee table!
Very creative and repurposed piece.

Good job.

hugs
Sissie

Lynn said...

I am so impressed! That coffee table is perfect! You should open a boutique!

gail@myrepurposedlife.net said...

I love everything about your coffee table! It's perfect!
gail

Jessabells said...

Wow, love that is was all free. Looks great.

Blue Ridge Altered Art said...

Oh my goodness. That is a beautiful table. I love the stenciling. You did a remarkable job and geat imagination. ~~Sherry~~

Theresa said...

Love it! The rustic top with stenciling is just perfect! Theresa

Lacey said...

WOAH!! The table looks like something straight out of pottery barn - and it would cost well over $500 to buy something like this! So beautiful! LOVE IT!! AMAZING JOB!!

ALVN of WhisperWood Cottage and Junkologie said...

Very cool, Pam! I'm loving the rustic feel of this piece! Great use of materials!!

Amy

Shaunna said...

It really is a fabulous work of art! I'm totally impressed with this and will definitely feature it as one of my favs! Thanks so much for linking to Style Feature Saturday! -shaunna :)

The Elegant Thrifter said...

Pam...your table puts the tables I posted today to shame. Gorgeous, clever and chic! Congratulations!

Debra@Common Ground said...

Way cool, girl. Love how you recycled it all. I would have been tempted to paint it. but I love the stenciled numbers and letters, Great Job!!!
xo,
Debra

Remodelaholic said...

Pam I LOVE LOVE love this party link and I wanted to let you know that we are planning on featuring it. We hope that you get a bunch of new visitors. (tomorrow at 5:00!)

www.remodelaholic.com"

judi said...

found you via remodelaholic...love the funky junk donna inspired coffee table. she's one of my many favs and you have truly captured the essence of vintage in your stenciling. i absolutely love this! kuddos!
you have given me an inspiration for our coffee table...i hope i can do it justice.
judi ;)

Jen said...

Love the table and the stenciling!!
I have a table similiar to this & I've been wanted to try something different! This could be just the thing it needs!

Jodie (everything vintage) said...

I love your coffee table Pam!!!!

Since I read this post, I've been dragging stuff in from my back yard so that when you come visit, you can do your magic here too!!!! I'll have a staple gun ready for you :)

I love this!!!!!!

Kim said...

How nice, I really like the rustic look and the meaningful stencils.

Amanda said...

I just wanted to stop by and let you know that I linked to this post today from the new Home & Garden channel at Craft Gossip. :) My hope is to share many of the fabulous projects I see everyday with the vast CG audience. I hope you will not only stop by and subscribe to CG, but will tell your friends about the new category! Hope you see some traffic from it!

Your feature will appear in the main Craft Gossip RSS feed, on the main home page and can be found directly here
http://homeandgarden.craftgossip.com/madeover-coffee-table/

If you would like a "featured by" button, you can grab one here!
http://homeandgarden.craftgossip.com/grab-a-craft-gossip-button/

Anita @ GoingALittleCoastal said...

Saw this on craft gossip and wanted to let you know how much I love it! And that you used what was in the yard is even better!

Stephanie Lynn @Under the Table and Dreaming said...

Hi Pam. Your table turned out amazing! I love the stenciled letters - perfect touch. You've done a fantastic job. I'll be featuring this today. Stop by and grab a featured button if you like. Thanks so much for joining the Sunday Showcase party! Hope you have a wonderful week! ~ Stephanie Lynn

Cecily said...

This is a GORGEOUS renovation... just awesome. So well finished and I love the details. Great job!

Holly said...

WOW! LOVE the table! I just saw a really awesome reclaimed wood project on HGTV last night and now I see your table and I think I need to do something like that! Your table is fabulous!

Sue said...

Wowie, Pam- this is tremendous, how you took some salvaged things and created something useful for your room! Love the look- with your stenciled personalization...
Glad you had a fun time while on your trip. Sounds as if you were in crafting heaven-
Do you have any plans to go to the Springfield Extravaganza or Country Living show? Kathy will be at both, so I need to find out what I am able to do. I've never done the CL show, so maybe.... if the dates work out. Glad you came by. I've been a bad bloggy pal and have so many people to catch up with. I have too many irons in the fire. Don't know how some people manage to post every darn day!!! LOL
hugs, Sue

michelle said...

Found you at Craft Gossip! I love love love this table!!! I saw Donna's at Funky Junk and so want to do one like that and then saw yours and now the ideas are flowing through my head! It turned out so perfect!!