Pages

Living Graciously, Artfully, Frugally.

Consciously taking notice of the gifts each day places in our path.

“I awoke this morning with devout thanksgiving for my friends, the old and the new.” R. W. Emerson

Friday, June 18, 2010

Where Bloggers Create Party (I almost made it!)

I tried and tried...really. I almost finished. Sometimes you just have to say this is as much as one person can get done and run with it. It isn't perfect but it has come a LONG way from an unfinished basement space to my little piece of heaven. A work in progress, but all mine! We finished the majority of our basement a few years ago. Then...we stopped. All the little details like molding and closet doors etc. just haven't been completed. The worst was my "studio" which had been turned into a storage space for everything that had no home. So I tried turning the guest room into my studio...I tried working at the dining table...I used my son's old room. Then I saw that cutie pie Karen at My Desert Cottage was hosting her second Where Bloggers Create event. That cinched it. Enough was enough. I cleaned and purged and constructed IKEA shelving and moved craft supplies from various spots where they had found a home, because I just had to participate.
I almost made it!
So I am going to share my not quite complete, work-in-progress, happy space anyway. Hope you enjoy it as much as I will enjoy visiting all of your creative studios!


Come on in. Don't mind the unfinished doorframe. I can't decide what color to paint it. The door came from a bank in Lawrenceburg, Indiana. We found two of them at an antique mall. It's mate is the door to the bathroom right across the hall.


As you can see, I am having a hard time choosing trim colors. Work-in-progress, as I said before.


There is a workspace to the left. Most of the furniture here has had a past life. The enamel topped table was my grandmother Florence's. She was my mom's mom. It sat beneath a mirror in her basement laundry room. I think of her folding laundry on it's top each time I sit down to create. I can feel her presence surround me with happiness. Her mirror which hung above it now lives in my powder room. The yellow shelving unit was a piece my father built for my room when I was 5 or 6. It then moved to my brother's room and was painted this golden yellow color. It will probably be painted in the future. (When I can decide on a color, haha.) The table it sits on is from my In-Law's house and the desk was a birthday gift from my hubs several years ago.




I have arranged my favorite memento's among my books and supplies.
Since the rest of our home is relatively sedate color is indulged here at every turn. Red is a favorite.




A birthday token from my blog pal Jodie is displayed in my cork board. The shelf/memo board was a brown wood find at Good Will brightened up with spray paint.




 The blue Canasta deck is precious, no? (How the heck do you play Canasta anyway?)



This charming metal cabinet was also from my grandma's laundry room. The black deco handles had broken so I replaced them with green glass. My grandma placed the flamingo decals on it before I was born. I believe she is the reason I have such a strong pull to the styles of the 20's, 30's and 40's.




A closer look. This cabinet is a sweet part of my childhood memories of grandma doing laundry in her sunny walkout basement and then taking it out to the line to dry in the sunshine. I can smell the lilacs and honeysuckle.




Lot's of empty space waiting for more goodies. I am filling my IKEA shelves slowly as I make an attempt at organization.

You may recognize some of the pieces I have collected recently, such as the Lassie lunchbox.



When we brought these shelves home from IKEA I discovered that they were  about an inch too tall for the back wall because of the duct work that had been boxed in. Oops! I found an alternate place for them but that eliminated the bifold closet door, since it would be impossible to open. I found some fabric to coordinate with all of the bright colors in this space to turn into curtains to cover the closet opening.




This table sits beneath the window on the wall opposite my grandma's table. I am not sure if it will stay. I would love to have a wall to wall table that I could stand at to work. For now it will do.
As you can see I have a lot of wall space that I have plans for.



Looking across from the window table. I will bring in a  TV to watch movies while I work. I love me some TCM.




For now I will listen to my vintage radio. Although I purchased this recently it also reminds me of grandma Florence, who adored the Cincinnati Reds and was never without her transistor radio when a game was being broadcast.



Glimpses of color and  sparkle.




Memories evoked.



Joy in things we love. All of this brings inspiration to the creative soul.

My stash of fatbooks created together with like minded artists who share the love of vintage treasures. Women I would never have known if it wasn't for blogging.


I am so grateful to be able to share with all of the friends I have met through this most wonderful world. Thank you for being so gracious and generous.
Thanks once again to Karen for hosting this wonderful event.



 As my space progresses I will share it with you.
Now lets get out of here and go visit everyone else!!!
  Have a Social Saturday, P.
Pin It!

58 comments:

Lenore said...

It looks as if you did a great job on your new studio space....lots of lovlies to look at and great organization. I'm sure you'll have it just the way you want it soon.

Leanne said...

Is a space ever done? I love the retro vibe and most importantly, the memories that it gives you...

Donna (Timeless Settings) said...

Looks like you've created a great work space! thank you for taking us on a tour. :)

Donna

Snappy Di said...

Love the kitties on that tray! I'm not a cat person... but the tray is delightful!!

Di

The French Bear said...

Looks awesome so far!!! Those bare walls have me drooling, he he....so much room for more stuff!!!
Hugs,
Margaret B

Sue said...

What a great space to create! Starting with that wonderful door, it is just full of eye candy and treasures! I love the 20's-30's-40's feel of it. Maybe you can use some vintage bark cloth for fabric? It would fit right in!

Sue

Scrap for Joy said...

Lots of goodies to see here. Works in progress are just as interesting as finished rooms. My room is constantly changing..and messy as a rule. Where would any of be without Ikea?
Thanks for letting us tour your space and see what inspires you!
Joyce

Francie of The Scented Cottage said...

Looks fantastic! Mine is still a work in progress too.
Gee, I used to play canasta years and years ago. I think you need two decks to play.

Christine Edwards said...

Pam, I love what you've done with your space. First, I love the door! And that all of the furniture has such a personal meaning I'm sure makes it a wonderful place to be creative in. Just think, now you're that much closer to having the space you've wanted for years. Thanks for sharing!

Olive Cooper said...

Pam, your Grandmother's cabinet with flamingo decals is precious. The pink phone is sweet! So many details...I like em. I just started following you and am glad!

~olive~

Queen Bee said...

LOVE your space! Love the red! LOVE the pink phone!
Queen Bee Studio

Sandi said...

lovin your space and all the color! It's great you have all those wonderful memories surrounding you!
VictorianGypsy

zandra said...

Great creative space Pam. Love the red. So, enjoyed my visit today and always! Enjoy the rest of the party!
Hugz,
Zandra

Elyse said...

hi!

i really enjoyed this post. gosh, the transistor radio brought memories of my grandfather who would sit outside in a lawn chair, listening to red sox games.

your room is filled with all kinds of fun suprises. love all the pop of pale blue and red.

thanks so much for sharing where you create.

happy party hopping!

xo
elyse

Cherie Wilson said...

Behind door #8 is a totally cool place!! LIFE is a work in progress for sure, and why work when we can play with all this fun stuff we are showing off anyway? :) Thanks for sharing!

Kathy said...

Love, love that funny bunny, the lassie lunch box (that would make lunchtime fun!) and those black cats. Cool stuff you got. Great space you have it in. - Kathy

Hopemore Studio said...

Pam, such a fantastic sense of history you have instilled in your new studio. I am just in love that vintage door and all the goodies you have kept from your Grandma! Wow it is just delightful.

My mom knows how to play canasta she played it with her mom at every family get together. I will have to ask.

Angie

Rebecca said...

Hi Pam
What a wonderful space you have carved out for yourself! Love the door! You have a good eye and it really looks almost done, lots of goodies! It is so fun putting it all together, love that process, I am going to redo mine this summer
Blessings
Rebecca

Robin said...

Oh! I love your new digs!Doors,desks and decals, oh my.It is so cool that your furniture has family history! You had me at the door. ~Robin~

Diane@InMyOwnStyle said...

I just love love love seeing the vintage pieces in your area along with the door! What an inspiring, happy room. You must smile everytime you enter. I had a radio very similar to your blue one when I was a kid. The princess phone - one of my favorite things. I have one on my nite table. I love to chat on it. Thanks for the tour :)
Diane

Chris said...

I really love your space and all the adorable vintage treasures tucked here and there! So sweet!
Best wishes,
Chris

www.curbyscloset.com/blog/

Gypsy Fish said...

What a spunky space....I just love it especially that door~it's amazing!
hugs,
Beth

Laura Ingalls Gunn said...

What an amazing space you have created! You have inspired me to add to my own crafting area.

I adore all of your storage solutions.

Creative Breathing said...

Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful space with us. The combination of colors is very inspiring. I am taking away so many new ideas to make use of in my creative space. Such a pleasure to visit! Elizabeth

sissie said...

Your creative space is looking wonderful! I love how you have incorporated so many wonderful pieces that remind you of your Grandmother. I am in love with the enamel table and I also remember my Grandmother always mixing up something wonderful for dinner on her table.

Thank you for sharing your creative space. I have really enjoyed seeing it.

hugs
Sissie

Jodie (everything vintage) said...

Oh Pam...
I feel such at home as there is so much of ME in there! I can't believe I'm on your inspiration board...you are such a sweetie! And the fat books...SO MUCH FUN! ok...they may have been a LITTLE stressful...but fun none the less!
(hope you are smiling)
Love love love the number eight on that awesome door. That's my fav number!
Have I told you lately that I'm excited you are coming down in August? I CANNOT WAIT!

Claudia said...

Love the wonderful doors, the splashes of red, all your wonderful vintage treasures everywhere. The transistor radio brings back memories! You have a wonderful, fun space.

Such a Wondrous Place this Faery Space said...

You have beautiful things dear! Loved this visit! Blessings.

Emom said...

You have done a marvelous job of arranging things! The memories are worth the trouble...smiles.

craftyles said...

I love your space in progress. Love all the vintage and retro-I have alot os similar stuff in my room. Can;t wait to watch the progress.Love the red shelves-I could go on, but I'll be back!

Karen Valentine said...

I think you progress is wonderful! I wouldn't have been able to tell it wasn;t just the way you wanted if you hadn't said so! The doors are fabulous and I love that your room is filled with so many childhood memories! Thank you so much for sharing them all and being such a nice party guest!
xo,
Karen
My Desert Cottage

kluless said...

You have beautiful pieces and it's off to a great start already so it's easy to see how beautiful it will be when you are finished. Have fun with all the decorating and thank you for sharing.

BailiwickStudio said...

Creating a studio is as much fun as the creating that goes on when it's finished! Your creative space is looking great - have fun with it! ::Jill

Terri(TerriBoog) said...

You're on to something special with your space! It already is looking fantastic - I love your grandmothers metal cabinet; what a treasure!

Sue said...

Pam, Your room looks fantastic and I love all the stuff in there! Gee, I would love to have my grandmother's enamel table. It had a hidden leaf in it. Love all the red and that "new" door is to die for. Pick your colors and paint the woodwork, girl! What a great room in which to be creative!
hugs, Sue

Kris said...

What a great space you have -- and you are one quick worker! I love your use of your grandmother's things and your sense of her presence while you work.

Are you coming to Silver Bella this year?

Kris

Terri said...

Vintagey and lovely creative space..love the music too. TFS

Caleen said...

A great space you have created. I love the vintage treasures too. So many lovely treasures to create with. I think you have done a wonderful job putting it together. Thank you for sharing.. :)

Geralyn Gray said...

Pam......I love it!!!!! It is so you!!!!!! I have the exact same tin table!!!! I just moved it to the store I am going to see if I have a picture of it and will email you...I love all of the tins and jewelry boxes.....I have moved most of the big stuff out of the house....but, today I spent hours going through boxes of stuff.....to get my bedroom craftfree......but, it feels good....you have a nice window for light......can't wait to see what you create now that you have all of your space!!!!

Romeo said...

It looks like you've got a great deal of your studio done! And it looks great - of course we all know that studios rarely stay the same, they evolve, so no worries okay?! As for the trim color....remember it's YOUR room, go for the color you love...red maybe? Thanks for sharing!!!

Purrs!

Romeo and "her"

Denise said...

WOW! What a great space. It starts with the door and is just one delight after another from there. Thanks so much for stopping by.

time-worn interiors said...

I love that door and the read shelves! Happy creating!
Theresa

donnaj said...

Great space and i love the door-perusing all these studios may give you the "nudge" needed to pick colors. my tastes change so much my room is white for now~

Lori said...

Thanks for sharing your wonderful room with us. It brought me back to my childhood days--that transistor radio is fantastic! I remember them quite well. Oh, I'd love to be in your room and reminisce. Thanks!

Queen of Dreamsz said...

Hi Pam,

You are doing a great job of putting together your studio. It takes a lot of time...I've spent almost a year getting mine put together. Thanks so much for sharing your studio with me. It's really a great space.

I'd love for you to come stroll through my studio..it's been a long process but it's all finally finished!

Have a wonderful day,
Stephanie ♥

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Even though it's not finished, your space just OOZES with charm and personality. Your enamel table is wonderful. You have a real gem there. The cabinet with the flamingos is a hoot. Love that old mid-century stuff, as well as your lunch box and bread box. Bet they are great for storage, too.

I think red must be the accent color in your new space. I look forward to seeing the primary and secondary colors you choose for this inventive, well appointed, and FUN space. Thanks for sharing it, even though it isn't finished.

Halle said...

What an inspirational space you have!
Love the red and the vintage treasures.

karlascottage.typepad.com said...

How wonderful that you were able to use family pieces in your room! (great room, by the way!)

Debra@Common Ground said...

It's wonderful that you can incorporate so many family pieces into your workspace. Karen really motivated me too, to get cleaned up and better organized. Love seeing your colorful and fun creative space!
xo,
Debra

Debby said...

Hi Pam, I have finally made it to the "F" for Frippery on my party run!!! Good lord, it is going to take me forever to get through all of the wonderful creative spaces. I have enjoyed my tour of your space alot, love it. I love all your sewing baskets and your awesome storage ideas. I adore your rack holding your books. I love, love your sweet red desk, beautiful. Thanks so much for sharing.
Hugs,
Debby

Sue@MyArtsDesire said...

Pam, Your nomadic lifestyle of trying to find your own creative spot is all too familiar to me! I wonder how many of us finally got cracking to push our dreams a little further along because of Karen's party?! So glad you dug in...see lots of FUN, FUN, and more FUN stuff happening in here. First, just to get to come through that AWESOME door...what a great find. It just sets the tone right from the get-go. But the pieces you have from your grandmother...beyond special. How wonderful that they are in your possession. Love what I see and am copying down your url to come back and do more peeking later! Xo, Sue

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Are we ever really done, Pam? It's been a week since I posted my little space and not only have I made a mess what with creating today and running outside to check that my spray painted items have dried, but I have added new storage {a couple of the things I spray painted}. On top of that I went to Goodwill today and found some great bottles to use in my creative space, too. I love your space and the red of your bookcases. I tend to stand a lot when I'm creating, too, although I do have a step stool to sit on. My cart/table is pretty good height wise for either.

Miss Sandy said...

What a great work in progress your studio is! I love the pops of red on your desk and shelving. Thank you for sharing.

Thespa McLaughlin said...

Great space! I love all of your vintage things, especially the pink flamingo cabinet and the cat serving tray, that is just adorable and one of a kind. thanks for sharing!

Connie Eyberg Originals said...

Great stuff! Thanks for sharing your studio. I think they are always a work in progress. It's the nature of the beast. Connie

Deborah Jeans Dandelion House ~ inspired living said...

Hi Pam!
We are soul sisters in the " un finished project area" ... I love that Karen's party gave you that extra push to get your creative space together even if it's not the IDEAL FINSIHED space ... We did exactly the same thing! I love all your handpainted furniture finds, and the memories and cherished trinkets in your creative space! Great job!
Pop on over and take a peak at the Dandelion Workshop when you get a chance!

Happy creating
Deborah Jean

Tins and Treasures said...

Oh, I can't wait to see it when it is finished. You have a great start. I love the little red desk...and the storage is fabulous.

Yes, I am still visiting the artists in Karen's 'where bloggers create' Party...and having a great time, too. Thank you for sharing your creative space with us. Have a wonderful weekend. ~Natalie

scrappingwithsherry1 said...

How cute is your banner... I love the work Flippery but have to admit I have no idea what it means. Maybe you can educate me on that. Flippery... Love it!!! Well, you have certainly come a long way on your space and I dont think I would have known that you had not finished had you not told me. I also am in love with your door. That is a great way to start the tour too! Thank you for all the inspiration this morning. I am new to the blog world (2 wks!) and thank you again for the inspiration that I have gotten from viewing your blog this great sunday morning~ Sherry F.