Pages

Living Graciously, Artfully, Frugally.

Consciously taking notice of the gifts each day places in our path.

“I awoke this morning with devout thanksgiving for my friends, the old and the new.” R. W. Emerson

Sunday, June 6, 2010

Fireflies

The fireflies appeared last night. Those fey insects that rise from the freshly mown summer grass early each June in southern Ohio. As children we called them lightening bugs. Magical creatures who blinked at the periphery of vision and were gone. We captured them as they lit upon our hands, friendly, trusting and small. One night in a jar to blink our way to sleep, then released to continue their fairy antics. Summer harbingers. They are so welcome this year!
Have a sunlit Sunday, P.
Pin It!

7 comments:

Marilyn said...

Oh Pam...I haven't thought about Fire Flies in so many years. I can remember my Daddy catching them for me & letting them light up on my hands!!
Sweet Memories!!
Love,
Marilyn
xxoo

Snappy Di said...

Love love love fireflies. I can remember someone asking me once what fireflies are. They lived out West in the city and never had seen one.

Di
The Blue Ridge Gal

Debby said...

Hi Pam, so funny you should mention fire flies in this post as I saw a few of them last night when I was getting ready to nap out and turning my lights off. They are so magical.
Debby

Emom said...

Gordon Lightfoot!
smiles......
thank you!

Anne Huskey-Lockard said...

I love the lightening bugs!
They have been here a while, which surprised me as they showed up early, but then our whole Spring was strange.....
I love the humid summer evening, when haze lefts from the ground (usually around Juy Fourth) and the little guys are out there gently lighting the dark! So magical!

XXOO!!
Anne

for the love of a house said...

I love lightening bugs! Every night I sit on the upstairs porch and watch them dancing in the back meadow! Magic!

Sue said...

Pam, And I thought I was the only one in Ohio who called them lightning bugs! LOL Mr. S says I am nuts, but that's what we called them. I grew up in New Mexico and I suppose we were weird! We've always had a field or woods behind our houses, so we get to see a multitude of little flashing lights in June. I haven't seen them yet. I may have to go out back tonight to see if they're around.
hugs, Sue