Pages

Living Graciously, Artfully, Frugally.

Consciously taking notice of the gifts each day places in our path.

“I awoke this morning with devout thanksgiving for my friends, the old and the new.” R. W. Emerson

Friday, April 16, 2010

Tradition and Technology

Went to Winnetka this week for our nephew's Confirmation.
 On the way I had to nab about a zillion shots of the windmill farms in Indiana.

 Played with the photo's a bit to emphasize what I find to be the "stately" quality of these structures.


I find them to be strangely beautiful.



When the farm buildings sit beneath these peaceful giants, working constantly to power our homes, the contrast of tradition and technology is fascinating.


How do you feel about them?


Friend or foe?


Beauty or beast?


Knock knock...Who's there?


Orange...Orange who?


Orange ya sick of these windmill pictures?


Sorry, I try my best to be thoughtful and introspective but inappropriate humor always creeps in. At least I resisted the urge to shout "Auntie Em Auntie Em, it's a twister!"
Or not...
I will be emailing the swap participants their partner's names tomorrow. If you still want in speak now...
Have a great weekend, P.
P.S. I really do find a certain beauty in them.
Pin It!

10 comments:

Primitiques 'n Poetry said...

Girl! They promote green. I am all over them. And you did create a little beauty in your pics! Very nice! ~Mindy

Geralyn Gray said...

Thanks for making me laugh......I like them but not in my backyard kind of thing......it

.is amazing how they can be so close to the farms....kind of ironic.......but, maybe they are the simpler life since they are not using any dangerous chemicals to make energy.....so I guess I like them.....loved your pics....could really appreciate the beauty of them

Debby said...

We have a community about 4 hours from where I live and they have hundreds of these happening. The first time I drove past them it was kind of scary the closer I got, they are huge. I think they are fabulous as far as the green deal goes, but many in that community say they are making them ill and the sound is terrible when they all get rolling..lol..I am undecided, not sure.
I left a message on your post about the swap that I would like to play.
Debby

pedalpower said...

There are so many around here,and many people don't like them...mostly because they are a change I suspect. I have been right among them and I must say the ones I was by were very quiet. I find them rather soothing to watch. Sometimes when I hear people complaining about them, I wonder if the same thing was heard across Holland many, many years ago :)

trash talk said...

Pam, I refuse to think about the good or bad...I'm just going to enjoy the photos!
Debbie

Laura said...

I have seen other things 'dot' the landscape that have ended up being worse for the environment.
This looks like a good thing-although I couldn't help but think about Jodie Foster's movie Contact.

Yikes!

Laura

Berlin Deluxxe said...

When driving from the East Coast to our home here in Cali, we stopped by to get gas in the dessert. We overheard a man who said he couldn't believe how hot it was with all those "giant fans" around.
OMG.

Rose said...

We have a lot of these in a community nearby. Everytime I see them I think of Stephen King's Dark Tower Series.......These are what I imagine the towers being like. They are so HUGE up close.
I'm a huge stephen king fan, so go figure, right?
Rose

Carole~Maynard Greenhouse said...

I like the contrast too. When I went to upstate NY last year they were everywhere in the farmland too.
Cool stuff.....I think it's sad that the rich ppl in long island don't want them.
xxx

Cape Cod Rambling Rose said...

I like the windmills! I truly believe they are a no-brainer... harnessing FREE wind energy, in a time when people complain about using up fossil fuels and incinerating trash for energy! Lovely photos!