Pages

Living Graciously, Artfully, Frugally.

Consciously taking notice of the gifts each day places in our path.

“I awoke this morning with devout thanksgiving for my friends, the old and the new.” R. W. Emerson

Friday, March 5, 2010

Fluff and Finery?

I have been working for a while on creating a little room of my own. Part craft room when the art in the real studio room begins to overwhelm me. (Sadie is one of those artists who revels in chaos.) This room holds memories of childhood. My mother's hats as well as those I have collected, old sewing baskets and some gorgeous postcards of the Jersey shore glitzed up by Geralyn. A transistor radio that was a recent find, in an awesome color. It reminds me of days lazing at the pool or beach with my family or school friends. I can hear lawn mowers and dogs barking, sprinklers and children laughing.


The smell of Coppertone. Also, my grandmother Florence, who never missed a Reds game and always had an earplug in her ear connected to her little radio when they played. I have idyllic childhood memories of the typical suburban life when moms stayed home and kids ran the neighborhood. Everyone on the street was like a family and we came and went from one another's houses like they were our own.


My little room contains bits and pieces that evoke these cherished memories. Hankies and figurines, Avon bottles, baby ballet slippers.... 
Because I was brought up Catholic and attended Parochial school my memories are also tied up in Sacraments.


Baptism, weddings, First Communion and Confirmation, white veils and black habits.
Did I mention Nuns?
If you are like many of my friends you will think I am a bit loony, but I always had a Nun doll along with my statue of Mary. I had a little shrine to the Virgin Mother where I placed wildflowers from the woods.
And then.... the Nuns. I started my collection because the dolls evoked memories. Just like the wedding toppers and little angels.


Maybe I have gone too far though. My SIL Diana slept in this room when they visited for Sadie's graduation. She thought the nuns were "a little creepy."
My daughter concurs, although she has always had a fear of dolls. (I wonder why?)


So I keep my little collection tucked away in my own tiny room. Hope you understand.


What quirky item do you collect?

Have a blessed weekend, P.
Pin It!

13 comments:

Linda said...

I was loving this room until the Nuns! Just kidding, they are fine with me. Love all the keepsakes and memories. I have a Pink room that I am making into my own little place.

Embellish-Vintage Home Embellishments said...

What a fun room!!

Sue said...

Pam, I've never seen nun dolls before! My SIL is a Dominican nun who wore the full habit for years. I will have to show her these pictures when she visits in a few weeks. What a fun collection of all those neat things! I am hoping we can all get together this spring- I will let you know what we have planned. I am still so busy playing nurse. I also promised my god-daughter a bridal shower and that will be held around her Easter break. I will be a busy bee. :-) Hope all is well with you. I can't wait for spring to get here. I want sun and warmer temps. hugs, Sue

trash talk said...

I have always thought the Nun dolls were cool (can I say that?). I've also seen a series of china figurines from the '40-50's of Nuns in various poses like golfing. I always thought those would be fun to seek out and collect. I can't for the life of me remember who made them, but they are precious.
I have the same childhood memories. We were holy terrors on our street especially in the summertime!
Debbie
P.S. Every girl needs her special place.

Geralyn Gray said...

Ahhh.....I loved seeing the postcards! I miss making them.....you are motivating me. My sister had nun dolls. I was into collecting indian dolls......we used to travel a lot and when we would see an Indian Trading Post I would pick out a favorite and add it to my collection.......they are gone now.....I didn't want anything when my mom sold the house....good memories, though.

Jodie (everything vintage) said...

Nuns?
You?
Seriously?
Never in a million years would I have associated the two!
;)
and...I didn't even know there was such a thing!

How do you "play" with a nun doll? There is no car, no Ken, no house, no clothes...

you gotta explain this one!!!!
;)

Laura said...

My sister and I slept with one of those transistor radios under our pillows for years...sweet memories of youth!
Like the wedding toppers...
...nun dolls..not so much! But I collect some pretty quirky stuff too!
Have a great weekend!:) Laura

T's Daily Treasures said...

How wonderful to have a quiet space of your own. I don't think I've ever seen Nun dolls before. We made a trip to Jerusalem about 5 years ago and there was a group of Nuns who would sing in the lobby of our hotel every nite. It was like being in the Sound of Music. Just beautiful! Your memories of childhood are in some ways similar to mine. It was a much simpler time. Enjoy your lovely space. Blessings, Tammy

Its So Very Cheri said...

I wanted to let you know some big news. My blog has moved to www.itssoverycheri.com
Please come over and RE-SIGN UP to follow me at the new site. Google does not allow you to take your followers. If you have already found the new site-sorry for the confusion. (Some don't have links set up so I can't see their blog, plus going back and forth between the 2 blogs...) I am trying to go back and forth between the old blog and the new, while I am getting through all my followers. I am super close to closing down my old blog.
I also have a new give-a-way that started yesterday.
Cheri www.itssoverycheri.com

Marilyn said...

Come on over to my blog...I'm havin' a 2 part Spring Giveaway!!
Love,
Marilyn
xxoo

Tristan Robin Blakeman said...

okay.
How do you play with a nun doll?!
;)
They might kinda weird me out, too! LOL

I don't collect anything weird - at least I don't think anything is weird. Others might disagree with me - but, hey!, what do they know anyway?!

zandra said...

Love the Nuns! I am alway looking for vintage lipstick holders which I don't use for lipstick..lol I use it to hold my stickles. ;o)
Hugz, Z

Berlin Deluxxe said...

Oh my, how I love your little room! I find your nun collection fascinating :)But where do you find all these nuns? My paternal grandmother's sisters were all nuns, she was the only one to rebel and marry :)