Pages

Living Graciously, Artfully, Frugally.

Consciously taking notice of the gifts each day places in our path.

“I awoke this morning with devout thanksgiving for my friends, the old and the new.” R. W. Emerson

Saturday, January 16, 2010

Our New Life

 The change in income we have experienced here at Frippery farmhouse has kept me at home much more. Reinventing, planning, thinking. I have been staying in and being a home body. It is good.



More time for making and rearranging while I plan my future in our new world. I am trying to build new ways to fund the things I love to do, creating art and hunting for vintage pieces to repurpose. Combining all of these into a way of life would be my dream.

So I am tweaking, and thinking.



Making the winter days a bit brighter. Using some Goodwill goods to revamp the mantle for winter. My $2.00 deer takes center stage beneath my book page wreath. Old books and thrifted silver plate add to the sparkle. Some Goodwill glass turned into cloches. A crafted paper garland pretty much says it all. Take what you have on hand and make it work for you.



I revel in reading your stories and knowing I am not alone in the need to create a new and different way of life. Many have had drastic changes in circumstance. Others are just trying to make do with less and have a softer impact on this world. It seems we are experiencing a change in the way we look at things.



To some of us a slightly harsh wake up call, but a wake up call none the less. Lives can change in a day. When you do not have to think twice about wanting something you see and getting it, your vision can be clouded. Do I need this or just want it? There is nothing wrong with treating yourself when you are able to. I am just in a place where I now have to think before any purchase and purchase only what is necessary. I know that I have been blessed more than most in my life. I look around and see all that I already have and know that I have enough. More than enough.



Now I can play, and arrange and rethink and enjoy my riches and be inspired by the way you live as well.



Thank you all for sharing the ways you make daily life richer.

Have a dreamy day, P.


P.S. I am linking this post to The Stories of A to Z's Mantle party as well as Finding Fabulous' Frugalicious Friday.
Pin It!

21 comments:

Hopemore Studio said...

Thank you for the wonderful reminder that we can rearrange our lives around what we already have and see it with new appreciation.

Your take on the changes you are working through is heartfelt and the mantle is beautiful.

Angie

Jules of Whimsicalnotions blog said...

Its all true what you said and yes we have enough,i too enough treasures that i can share and play house with,Doesnt stop us dreaming of more but i love the mantle and sometimes having less to spend makes for a much more imaginative and wonderful outcome.

Tristan Robin Blakeman said...

I admire the way you are handling the new world we're living in. I strive to same with grace and patience - but, I'm afraid I"m not as good at it as you are. :)

Your mantle is just lovely - and I hope it brings you all your winter dreams!

Beth@The Stories of A to Z said...

What a beautiful sentiment to accompany a gorgeous mantel! I'm so glad you found your way to the party. Would you mind if I feature your mantel next week in my mantel review?

zandra said...

Love the wreath and it looks great with the mantle. It is amazing how revamping can put such a smile on your face. :o)
Hugz, Z

Kim said...

I completely understand, as I lost my job a few months ago. It has turned out to be a time of re-inventing my life & I haven't been so happy in a long time. We have been watching our expenses carefully & have been excited to see what a good life we can live when we use our resources creatively.

Marilyn said...

After being married for almost 42 years I came to the conclusion that I need not much. We have a home & property & I have inherited furniture to almost wall to wall. Posessions, I have learned, can be an anchor at times.
Although Hubby's job fluctuates it looks like he can make it to retirement there with him having put in 32 years already. That in itself is an achievement in these times.
So, for this I am grateful...so very grateful....
Have a Wonderful Day!
Love,
Marilyn
xxoo

marty (A Stroll Thru Life) said...

I think most of us are feeling as though we really need to reuse and revamp these days. I am having fun trying to rearrange things in a different way and Goodwill has become my favorite shopping place instead of the big Dept. stores. It's good to keep things in the right priority. Your home is lovely and your vignette is just stunning. Love it all. Hugs, marty

cityfarmer said...

I think it's in the air right now ... change and lots of it

Blondie's Journal said...

You have written in such a gentle way about the problems so many of us are facing. And you have come up with some very creative solutions that inspire and humble me.

May all of your winter wishes come true! :-)

xoxo
Jane

Lou Cinda said...

What a beautiful and touching post, and also one that is so needed...

I these times we never know what tomorrow will bring, and we need to be so thankful for what we already have....

Your mantle is stunning!

Wishing you everything wonderful!

Lou Cinda

Debra @ Common Ground said...

Hi Pam, there are a lot of out there pondering our position in life! You always have such lovely ideas and ways of decorating. Your book page wreath is gorgeous and I love your winter banner. Being content and satisfied is a wonderful freeing place to be,
hugs and blessings,
Debra

this blessed nest said...

your mantel is a work of art. i love everything about it. to be honest, i "tuned" in for your show & tell from the mantel party, but THEN i read your words. i can spend waaaay too much on crafting. it NEVER fails everytime i take something i already have & "re-DO" or decorate from pieces i own already the end result is always BETTER by far. i wonder why that is? perhaps i have to use more creativity & i love that i didn't spend too much $.

i will be dreaming about your mantel all weekend long & holding onto your words while i plan my next craft.

thank you!
kellie

icandy... said...

The mantle looks just beautiful!
Happy day to you!
Christina

ALVN of WhisperWood Cottage and Junkologie said...

Beautifully written! You have expressed the sentiments I have been feeling lately. Let's celebrate and use our creativity with what we have! :)

Style Sisters said...

Perfectly said! Rearrange our lives...I love it. That allows us to dream even more.
Thank you for your post.
Karin :) Love the wreath, garland, and all your mantle decor. Just beautiful.

Laura said...

I am so grateful that I stopped by tonight...your lovely post is filled with grace and inspiration...I will be in a similar situation soon and hope that I can meet the challenge of rearranging our lives.
I certainly know that I have all that I need. Thank you for sharing.. And, by the way, your mantle is lovely!
:) Laura

Prior said...

Enchanting mantle! Life slows down, so we catch up! Enjoyed your blog immensely.

luciwallis said...

That is so true. I love the banner and the wreath!!!
Bristol

A Fanciful Life said...

Hi Pam, lovely thoughts today. It is always good to step back and think freshly. I find I do that the beginning of each year. I'm wishing you success as you move forward in this new year with new determination.
Hugs,
Sharon :-)

Margaret said...

Lovely! How did you make the book wreath? The deer is so sweet-great eye and find!