Pages

Living Graciously, Artfully, Frugally.

Consciously taking notice of the gifts each day places in our path.

“I awoke this morning with devout thanksgiving for my friends, the old and the new.” R. W. Emerson

Monday, February 1, 2010

Made That (Or Un Made That In This Case)

It is February and I am almost seeing the light at the end of the winter tunnel. Time to redress the mantle a bit to reflect the coming change. Away with frosty winter and in with a touch of the outdoors.


In the quest for new/old decor I came across this topiary at GW. My plan was to deconstruct, paint the cute planter base white and use it to hold a pot of herbs in my kitchen. I knew I could find a use for the topiary form later.



As I removed the silk ivy and began to see the bare form emerge I thought maybe I would leave it together, paint it all white and add ruffly coffee filter flowers, maybe dyed in aged pastels, for a spring display.



Wait, I think I like it rustic and rough for now. I want to give the mantle a winter garden look, browns and whites, twiggy and sparse. It is perfect!



I took the material filling the wire form and made a little nest for a left over ornament in the perfect state of aged beauty. A worn yet lovely frame, (also GW) and a touch of silver shopped from my house. Of course some old books, always.



Deliciously imperfect and practically free! Just the way I like it. Now I need to dig out my shed antler sconces that have been boxed up for years. They may have found a home!
Do you love the cute details on the planter base? Someone went to a lot of trouble to make it. There are still pencil lines and numbers on the pieces from when they were cut and put together just so. I wish just by touching a piece so lovingly made we could get an image of the person who created it.
If wishes were nickels I would be a rich woman.



Of course there is a holiday approaching and although I do not go crazy decorating for Valentine's day, I still like to acknowledge it subtly. Plus, this is Made That day. So I took a little heart ornament I made and hung it from the topiary form. Just enough!



Oh and a red strawberry salt shaker for balance. Now to find those antlers!



There is a mantle party going on every Friday at The Stories of A to Z, check it out!

Happy February! P.
Pin It!

15 comments:

Theresa @ 612Riverside said...

It all turned out so lovely, The nest with the ornament is a great way to display them. Your stitched heart is very sweet also. I've been doing a little rearranging as well, so it's either cabin fever or maybe spring really is around the corner! I hope you just moved the gorgeous wreath you took down, it is fabulous! ~ Theresa

sissie said...

Your mantel looks devine. I love the crusty colors against the white, my kinda love. The touch of red is so sweet. It's perfect.
And, yes the work done by another is something that I think about as well, when I find something handmade. It feels good to be its new owner, even if it is just for a little while.

Lovely post.
Sissie

Lou Cinda said...

Oh I love everything about this!!

It is divine!!! And the touch of red? PERFECT!

Lou Cinda :)

Linda said...

Really love this make over. The rustic feel is perfect for a bare winter feeling heading to spring. That topiary frame and box is wonderful. The heart pillow is very cute and just a nice touch for Valentine's day.

marty (A Stroll Thru Life) said...

Love that topiary. What a great find. I liked it with the ivy, with the twigs inside and bare too. What a lovely piece. Hugs, Marty

trash talk said...

I love that "spring is just waiting under the leaves" look!
Oh and BTW, did you know the 4th is "Thank a Mailman Day"? I know you will want to give a certain one a huge hug...or something like a tight squeeze around the neck!
Debbie

Tristan Robin Blakeman said...

I always like what you do with your mantle - and this one is no different. Very nostalgic and stylish - it looks like a mantle in a hip urban loft! Beautiful!

Kris said...

Your mantel looks wonderful. You have such a good eye. I like the planter and topiary form - as is!
And such sweet stitching on your heart ornament. Happy Made That day, kris

zandra said...

So lovely! Glad to hear your package was found! ;o)
Hugz, Z

Beth@The Stories of A to Z said...

It looks beautiful and I love how you took us along on your creative journey! Thanks for linking to the party.

Dining Delight said...

I like the rustic look of the items you've displayed, especially the mirror. The "winter wishes" banner is wonderful as is the red/white heart.

DD

Cindy said...

Lovely lovely! Love how you've juxtaposed so many textures together. And the wreath *swoon*...

Miki said...

The red salt shaker is the perfect finishing touch :-) I love weathered frames too. Your mantel came together and looks amazing. MIKI

Stefanie said...

PERFECT! Really making me look forward to spring!

Tammy@InStitches said...

Your mantel is lovely. The topiary was a great find.