Pages

Living Graciously, Artfully, Frugally.

Consciously taking notice of the gifts each day places in our path.

“I awoke this morning with devout thanksgiving for my friends, the old and the new.” R. W. Emerson

Saturday, December 19, 2009

Story Book World


I awoke about 4AM today to the sound of dogs barking at the snow plow. Needless to say, I went back to bed for a bit after letting them run, and sniff and flop around in the falling flakes.A winter confection of powder sugar is coating all the bare branches. I truly love snow. Especially at Christmas.
The hush it brings to the world is enchanting
The stark landscape is softened in a blanket. How does something so cold look so warm? So inviting?
Speaking of inviting, don't you just want to hold this tiny bauble in your hand? Delectable, no?
Day 19 is from the sweet , stylish, mega-talented hands of Amy Powers. Her entire blog is a treat to visit. A treat is what I found inside this matchbox. A tiny world of peace.
How appropriate for a snowy December morning. Thank you Amy.
Now if I could just borrow my neighbor's cow to lay beneath the pine tree...hmmmm.
Just an aside, this pine was our first Christmas tree at Frippery farmhouse. This will be our 17th Christmas here. So many pages have turned since this tree was planted. It was about three feet tall that first Christmas. It snowed that year and Christmas morning the kids sat in the window seat and a family of deer lay in the snow just at the wood's edge. The deer stayed most of the morning as fluffy flakes fell silently around them. Joe and Sadie thought Santa's deer had chosen our back yard to rest in. It was a story book Christmas morning that we will never forget.

Have a fairy tale day, P.

P.S. Speaking of my son, he just found out he has no job as of Wednesday. The research Doc he was working for has run out of funding so no money to pay the assistant, my son. Luckily, it's during the school year so he hadn't been working tons of hours, but he just moved to his own place. He had been looking for another research position in DNA, an area he is more interested in. He will find out Monday if he gets the spot. Keep your toes and fingers crossed and send a good wish his way. I spoke to a friend of mine who also learned she will have no job as of January. Her husband is currently out of work as well. Let's say a prayer for all who find themselves without work this season. Hope for good times ahead.
Pin It!

8 comments:

Lenore said...

Your photos are so lovely....the snow does look soft and serene.
I've gone back and read some of your other posts and love your sentiment of living and enjoying the here and now and not getting too caught up in making Christmas "perfect".
My hubby has been out of work for over a year and I know the feeling of having to live on less.
Merry Christmas to you and your loved ones.

Michelle@Fromhousetohome said...

What a beautiful story about the deer. That tree is gorgeous in the snow. We are awaiting its arrival here, not a single flake yet. I'm waiting to bake until some beautiful snow is falling.
Enjoy your weekend!
~Michelle

A Fanciful Life said...

Wow - your photos almost make me want to live in the snow! They are so pretty, it's hard to imagine living in an area like that from here in suburban and sunny California. I adore the little matchbox with the winter scene inside, it's so sweet. Wishing best of luck to your son on landing a new job for the new year!
Sharon :-)

Marilyn said...

Your pics are beautiful!! We completely missed the storm in NE Pa. Thank Goodness! We have had VERY cold weather & we already have about 6" of snow on the ground already!! So-o-o-o-o we don't need any more!! LOL!!
My hopes & prayers for you son to get another research position!!
What a nice Christmas present that would be!!
Merry Christmas!
Marilyn
xxoo

trash talk said...

Pam, that really does look like something out of a fairy tale...I kept looking for the Snow Queen.
Nothing but positive thoughts coming your way from the Texas Pole...I've even got my eyes crossed!
Debbie

Tristan Robin Blakeman said...

gorgeous photos - so peaceful!

Sorry to hear about your son's predicament - what a lousy time of the year to discover that bad news. I'll keep my fingers crossed for him.

Luckily, I don't have the Need to Make Christmas Perfect gene. LOL

Sue said...

Pam, It looks as if you got a little more snow than we did. Sat. morning was beautiful outside. I went out and took a few photos.
That tree of yours is huge! It's amazing how fast they grow. And of course, it fits right in with the setting where you live.
I hope your son finds what he wants in his job hunt. Dan is looking, as well. Budget cuts forced him out of his law enforcement position in CA.
Hope you have a wonderful holiday! hugs, Sue

Berlin Deluxxe said...

Your photography definitely makes snow look comfortable and warm!