Pages

Living Graciously, Artfully, Frugally.

Consciously taking notice of the gifts each day places in our path.

“I awoke this morning with devout thanksgiving for my friends, the old and the new.” R. W. Emerson

Sunday, October 11, 2009

Wild Turkey Knowledge

We had some morning visitors. They were strolling along in the chilly mist. Did you know that turkeys can reach flight speed of 55 MPH for short distances? They can reach lengths of 4 feet from beak to tail. Thank goodness Hitchcock didn't use turkeys in his movie The Birds. Terrifying!Ben Franklin wanted the wild turkey to represent us as the national bird. Another sigh of relief. We have enough problems without being a bunch of turkeys.
Did you know a group of turkeys is called a rafter? They can also be called a gang of turkeys. I am sure they are thankful that gang and rafter are used instead of platter.
I hope you feel enlightened on this important subject.

Have a day filled with knowledge, P.
Pin It!

10 comments:

Sandra said...

Wow, look at all those turkeys! I've never seen wild turkeys in my area. How neat. Have a wonderful day.
Sandra

Geralyn Gray said...

I do......it was a beautiful moment in my Sunday....thanks. Gobble gobble!

Marilyn said...

...Another bit o'trivia...
Wild turkey doesn't taste nearly as good as a Butterball. (I know... my Dad was a big hunter!)
I will do my "hunting" in a grocery store!!
Have a great day!!
Hugs,
Marilyn

T's Daily Treasures said...

Funny and informative! :) Peace & blessings, Tammy

distracted by shiny objects said...

Wished I'd read this this morning...would have learned my "something new everyday" earlier...:>)
Have never seen this many turkeys before. They're really quite handsome. Saw one wild turkey on our drive up to the lake AND a bald eagle while we were there. He was very handsome, and big.

Debra @ Common Ground said...

Great "shots", and great information. I had heard that about the national bird. What a difference that would have made on coins and important national documents! te he
Debra

trash talk said...

Girl, I thought all the wild turkeys WERE in Washington!
Debbie

Sea Witch said...

Great shots...speaking of shots and turkey's, the only wild turkey I prefer comes out of a bottle. hahahahahaha

Chrissy said...

I do too...what a neat post,can't know too much about turkeys!!! All the best,Chrissy

elena-lu said...

a rafter? never knew that hmm will have something to tell hubby and feel smug about! :)
lovely pics!