Pages

Living Graciously, Artfully, Frugally.

Consciously taking notice of the gifts each day places in our path.

“I awoke this morning with devout thanksgiving for my friends, the old and the new.” R. W. Emerson

Sunday, October 4, 2009

The Stairway Makeover

Happy Met Monday thanks to Susan.
Remember the ooogly builder stairs I was working on?I am finished! They are caulked and molded and painted white. When we built our house we wanted an old house feel. Our builder didn't get it. (Not his only problem but that is a whole other story best left in the past) Slowly we have "aged" our house for more of the farm house feel we wanted. Our staircase is enclosed on both sides as many older farm homes were. I sometimes think of opening one side but the work involved would probably not be worth it.
I have also changed my taste a bit in 15 years. I love adding a bit of modern to the vintage. Like the Ikea chandy in the stairway. We also beefed up the railing while redoing the stairs. Our builder simply attached the rails to the drywall with anchors, they were always wobbly. We took some 1 by 8 poplar and attached the railing to the poplar and the poplar to the studs. Now we can actually lean on the railing without a tumble down the stairs with the railing on top of us. (never really happened but what a visual) Loving the whole project so far. I am ready to paint the walls now. I am a bit tired of the parchment faux. The first floor has gone neutral in the past year, but I am thinking a hint of color in the hall would be fun.
Any suggestions?
Have a marvelous Monday, P.
Pin It!

21 comments:

Marilyn said...

We have the same kind of staircase too!! I have wanted to open the wall to expose the staircase but when I bring it up DH looks like he is about to pass a kidney stone!! LOL!! I can't blame him cause' it would be a mess....
and I would loose a wall in the LR to hang "stuff".
My entry hall is a bit of florals so I painted my stairway a pale green.
Love,
Marilyn

Sue said...

Hey Pam, This looks good! I would love to take the carpet off of my stairs, but the dilemma is what do I do about the carpet in the hall that they connect to?! AAAHHH....
What did YOU do? Do you have carpet upstairs? I also like the mirror and mini-shelf you have on the landing wall. LOVE the chandy!
:-) Sue

Jules of Whimsicalnotions blog said...

wow that looks amazing
but me i would see all that white
and want to put words up the stairs.
They look so good just like that and i love the rail.

Sandy aka Doris the Great said...

It looks great! And I love the stair rail idea. (I may borrow that one!)

I'm always a color person. So, I'd suggest a soft moss green.

Sheri said...

That looks so nice...and I adore the chandelier.

I have a linky party going on, come on over and link up! http://theshadesofpink.blogspot.com/2009/10/room-month-great-pumpkin.html

pk said...

Very elegant transformation! I really like the chandy too...
pk @ room remix

Ticking and Toile said...

It looks great!!! Excellent job!

Shellagh

marty (A Stroll Thru Life) said...

The painted stairs look fantastic and I love the extra molding on the railing. Your wall decorations are stunning too. Beautifully done. Hugs, Marty

g.suzie said...

Oh, looks awesome, love it when everything comes together like that! I bet you are enjoying it, thanks for sharing!

Ashley @ AshleysBusy said...

It's gorgeous. Don't have a color suggestion, I'd have to see the rest of your home/blog. Just make sure it still ties both areas together. :)

Phyllis AROUND THE HOUSE said...

It looks wonderful, I to like the mix of traditional and I like to say with a little edge, your pictures are striking, you should be so proud...thanks for sharing...Come visit me

Alicia @ boylerpf said...

Who needs a suggestion when you have done such a great job on the stairs! I love the pictures going up the wall...so warm and inviting!

Shanty 2 Chic said...

Love the white stairs!!!!! ~ Ashley

decorator to the stars said...

LOOKS GREAT! GIO

Ticking and Toile said...

Just wanted to let you know that I passed along the "honest scrap" award to you! Love your blog. Come over to get the details!

Shellagh

trash talk said...

Oh my gosh! Y'all did an amazing job. It is gorgeous. I don't know if I would change the paint or not. It looks beautiful!
Thanks again for the hydrangeas. Everyone just oohed and aahhed over them! They were beautiful and so are you.
Debbie

Cindy Harvey said...

Gorgeous in every way....I'm loving neutrals (and always loved farmhouse style) so I'm gonna follow!
peace, cindy
(would love to have you pop over to my place for my first ever giveaway)

zandra said...

It's awesome! I think maybe a mural of some kind? I'm lovin' it the way it is now? Hugz, Z

Emom said...

Very nice...thank you for sharing it with us....smiles.

Blue Creek Home said...

What a beautiful job you did. I know you are glad it's done.
Love the chandelier.
Rhonda

niartist said...

This is gorgeous! Thanks for sharing, and inspiring! Following you now! You have a beautiful blog and home!