Pages

Living Graciously, Artfully, Frugally.

Consciously taking notice of the gifts each day places in our path.

“I awoke this morning with devout thanksgiving for my friends, the old and the new.” R. W. Emerson

Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Sing Along September

We know September can be bittersweet, make us a little pensive. Is it just the season's changing, the ending of summer? I think not.
Have you ever listened to all the songs about September? Down right maudlin I tell ya! Not just the old classics either. What about Green Day's "Wake Me Up When September Ends"? "Summer has come and passed, the innocent can never last...", cheerful, right? There's a sad story behind this song but I want you to be able to get up in the morning.
Then there are the old standards like "Try to remember the kind of September when life was slow and oh so mellow." Ok, sounds good, except for the part about trying to remember. But wait, how about "Deep in December , it's nice to remember, although you know the snow will follow". Basically once we hit September it's all down hill and not in a good way.
Then we have the granddaddy of gloom, September Song. Don't get me wrong, it is a beautiful piece of music but Yikes! "It's a long, long while from May to December, but the days grow short when you reach September". Can you say wistfull? "Oh the days dwindle down, to a precious few. September, November...." I think we know what happens next so why sing about it? No wonder September can put us into the doldrums. Even some of the perkier songs like Earth, Wind and Fire's September, or September Morn are still mooning about lost love. It is enough to make you go back to bed and pull the covers over your head!
In the interest of keeping us all from becoming despondent I would ask that you watch this video. If you haven't heard Me First and the Gimme Gimmes then you are missing a load of punky sing along fun. They do punk covers of everything from Sesame Street to Stairway to Heaven. A personal favorite is Dolly Parton's Jolene. My daughter has several of their CD's. I guarantee you can't be blue while belting out a punk version of Somewhere Over the Rainbow or 99 Red Balloons.
Take note September, you are a lovely month but you really must do something about your music.

Have a tuneful Tuesday, P.
Pin It!

10 comments:

Musings of a Sea Witch said...

Will I see you in September, or lose you, to a summer love? I really enjoyed this post. Sea Witch

Marilyn said...

September is O.K. for me. My worse months are January & February!!
January because of the let-down after the Holidays & February just because it is BORING!!
Loved the Post!!
Marilyn
xxoo

Lana of Honeysuckle Lane said...

I love September... although it does make one a bit meloncholy and pensive.

Primitiques 'n Poetry said...

Ha! Great writing, Pam! You make good points. But, I hold to yesterday's answer. It is prep time for my birthday month. In fact, September is my anniversary month! 2 years with David this month. Wow! I love me some September! (even if the music is funky!) ~Mindy

Gypsy Mermaid said...

Hey chickadee!
I never even thought about the songs of a month! your so creative lol But I am sooo ready for September it means no more humidity welll not as much anyways! big hugs

toodles-
sarah

Tristan Robin Blakeman said...

Kurt Weill notwithstanding, I love September! It's cooler and the air smells fresh. The autumn is definitely my favorite time of the year!

Though I do like the song "September Song," I can well do without the maudlin and melodramatic film "September Affair" that is was featured in!

Alicia @ boylerpf said...

Ah...the long days of September! I think everyone dislikes September because summer is gone for sure. I've never thought of the lyrics proclaiming the doom of Sept, but can understand why they are that way. I miss summer!!

zandra said...

I usually love Sept. but this Sept. I didn't want it to come. Being an empty nester does make this Sept. sad. :o( Hope Oct. is better. Hugz, Z

Artsy Fartsy Junkin Finds said...

You brought back some memories with this post.... hey it will be over soon...September that it!! Hugs, Janna

Jodie LeJeune said...

Okay girl, you post about September then you just fall off the calendar! Where are you and what are you doing with your first week of the month???? It's Labor Day...you must be out having fun right?????
Miss you!
everything vintage