Pages

Living Graciously, Artfully, Frugally.

Consciously taking notice of the gifts each day places in our path.

“I awoke this morning with devout thanksgiving for my friends, the old and the new.” R. W. Emerson

Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Hello!

Sorry for the long time between posts. We had a busy week, an out of town wedding Saturday and our 24th anniversary Sunday. We were just going to hang out at home , but our sweet son got us a room at the Netherland Plaza, where we spent our wedding night before heading off on our Honeymoon.
This hotel is an Art Deco gem. The Carew Tower, home of the Netherland Plaza, was built in 1930 in the French Art Deco style.
Here is a Rookwood tile mosaic found in the arcade area of the building.
No surface is left undecorated, display windows, elevator doors...
even the mailbox is a stunning piece of art.
Utility does not sacrifice beauty in this era. You find yourself transported back to the days when style was a part of daily life.
The workmanship was wonderful.
Gorgeous, right?
Look at the detail!
Art and design encompass every inch of this place.
I could spend hours just marveling at the thought put into each element.
The ceiling of the restaurant, called the Palm Court, is hand painted with murals and of course more deco detail.
The Carew Tower complex is touted as a city within a city. I am proud to say it is in my city. We enjoyed dinner at our favorite restaurant on the Square, Via Vite', then walked down to the riverfront for the WEBN fireworks, an annual Labor Day event for the past 30 years.
We attended the fireworks with friends and my dad the week of our wedding, 24 years ago.
We are still having fun and enjoying our time together. Happy Anniversary honey, I love you more than ever!
Hope you enjoyed my little tour. If you ever come to visit, let's have lunch here, mmmkay?
Hope your end of summer is full of fun.

Have a sparkling Wednesday, P.
Pin It!

11 comments:

Jodie LeJeune said...

Oh my girl! Stick a feather in my hair and I'm going to swirl around to get those tassels swayin'!!! This place is beautiful and so full of history! Pa-lease take me there when I go to your beautiful city!!!! Pa-lease!!!

oh...Congratulations to you and Joe! Hope you two kicked it up like ya'll did 24 years ago! That was an awesome gift from lil Joe! He's such a sweetie!!

everything vintage

trash talk said...

Wow! Sure makes the Sundown Motel where we stayed the first night of our honeymoon REALLY look like more of a dump than it was! Who wouldn't feel frisky in digs like that?
The design is just 2die4 and can you imagine back in the day, how ladies dressed to go there! It is all so swanky. (I sound like such a hillbilly!)
You've been missed, girlie girl!
Happy 24 years of wedded bliss and here's to 26 more!
Trash

Marilyn said...

What a wonderful way to spend an anniversary!! The building is absolutely beautiful. I just love the Hollywood Glam of Art Deco....
Happy Belated Anniversary!!
Love,
Marilyn
xxoo

common ground said...

Thankyou for the wonderful tour. I love Art Deco and this is just a fabulous example! Your photos were awesome. Love that mailbox! Have a wonderful Anniversary Week.
Debra

Geralyn Gray said...

Loved the Art Deco tour----Happy Anniversary Pam and Joe!!!!!! Your son is the sweetest---what a nice gift!!!!!

zandra said...

Wow, the picutres are so full of history! Love it. Congrats on your anniversary! I was married 27 yrs on the 4th! What a thoughtful son you have! Hugz, Z

Tristan Robin Blakeman said...

congrats on your anniversary!

wow - MY KIND OF HOTEL! How beautiful! I would give a small toe for those murals in the restaurant - and the mailbox! and the tile mosaic - and ... LOL

Gypsy Mermaid said...

OHH JODIE!! where is that lady? hehe I see a road trip for us! We need to go and meet some of our blogger friends! hehe Love the pictures. so beautiful if only people took pride in their work like that now a days. Congrads on the anniversary! Big hugs

toodles-
sarah

Lynn said...

Where is this beautiful place?
I want to get my feather boa and hie me there!

Lynn said...

Oh, and Happy anniversary!

Its So Very Cheri said...

BEAUTIFUL.

My blog has just been growing like a crazy weed and I haven't been able to get by for as many visits. I miss all my blog friends.
Come for a visit and see both of my new parties for the week. They are up every week and I hope you will participate.

Cheri
Its So Very Cheri