Pages

Living Graciously, Artfully, Frugally.

Consciously taking notice of the gifts each day places in our path.

“I awoke this morning with devout thanksgiving for my friends, the old and the new.” R. W. Emerson

Monday, August 31, 2009

Welcome September!

The last day of August, September is upon us already. September is a yin and yang kind of month. A month that brings both endings and beginnings. It will always mark the end of summer and the start of the new school year. No matter how old you or your children may be, that nostalgia for what has gone and what is to come always touches September.
The freedom of summer and the long evenings of light and warmth now mellow to cooler, golden times. Time to reflect on the coming months as the brilliance of autumn envelopes us. A sharp, bittersweet time of the year here. Does the change in season affect those who live in more tropical climates? If you live in a place that is always warm, or always cold, does the weather mark the passage of time for you?
I would like to know.
In the interest of change I have been working on some changes here at Frippery. Slowly, I must admit, but still...change.
Part of the change I hope will involve these doors. Do you have a ReStore near you? My hubs and I went to the one in Hamilton, Ohio last week to look for used wood to create a pantry for the kitchen. We didn't find what we were looking for, but came home with these other goodies instead.
A milk glass lamp, a few candle holders, to be made into something else, and these fabulous 90" tall doors!
Old french doors salvaged from a home remodel or tear down. I am going to clean them up and decide exactly where to use them. We have used salvaged doors elsewhere in our house. (Remind me to share later) So much character. Although I don't live in an old home I can at least get the feel by reusing these bits of history.
I want to thank Rhoda for hosting another Monday's Thrifty Treasures, so we can all show how we are reusing the many vintage finds that are out there waiting to be restored to new life.
BTW, We purchased this little group of goodies, including doors, for $25.00!!! I can't wait to put them to use!
What are you doing with your Thrifty Treasures?

Have a marvelous Monday, P.
Pin It!

15 comments:

Carol said...

Oh my goodness those doors are fabulous. And the price!! We
have a Restore here and I guess it's like all other thrift stores, hit and miss, I've never seen any doors that pretty in there. I can't wait to see how you use them
Smies,

Carol

Musings of a Sea Witch said...

Can you send those doors to me? They are exactly what I need for my booth space. hahahaha. Always enjoy your words. Sea Witch

Marianne@Songbirdisnesting said...

Love those doors! So exciting all of the things you can do with them!
Thanks for becoming one of my followers! I'll do my best to keep you inspired and entertained ;-)

marty39 said...

The doors are fabulous. I can't wait to see what you do with them. The other treasures are also wonderful, and the price is unreal. Great shopping. Hugs, Marty

Marilyn said...

Wish we had a Restore here. Your doors are great!! I can think of a zillion ways I could use them!!
About Fall... I love Fall but you know what follows!?@#!??
Winter.. Gr-r-r-r-r!!
Love,
Marilyn
xxoo

common ground said...

What a great find! The doors will be wonderful. Can't wait to see how you use them. Sounds like a great place to shop!
Debra

Lou Cinda said...

My Stars!! I LOVE those doors! I cannot wait to see where you put them! I just LOVE them!

Lou Cinda

Sue said...

I think I'm going to drive down to Hamilton on Wed.! Nice doors... I need to hit the Habitat store in Dayton, too. Nice finds, Pam.
:-) Sue

Chrissy said...

Morning... love this post and all its treasures, your photos are lovely!! All the best,Chrissy

Elise said...

Well, hello - I just had to stop and leave you a note because you have such a fabulous blog. Your posts are interesting & you have wonderful pictures too. It's all perfect ! Thank you so much for sharing and best wishes ...

trash talk said...

EEEKKK!!! What a deal on the doors and everything. We have a Habitat store here, but they never have anything that wonderful and certainly not at that price.
I live for fall. It's my favorite time of the year...that's my color palette!
Debbie

Primitiques 'n Poetry said...

The doors? Kick booty!

The music was just perfect with the reading, ya know?

As for the fall, my birthday is in October. And you know me! I celebrate the entire month. So, September is pretty much prep time for the month-long party and non-stop eating. ~Mindy

Wendy said...

Those are gorgeous!!

We have one, but I've never been. This makes me want to go even more!

Sandy said...

I live in Arizona and it is still hotter than all get out, but the light changes, the days are shorter, there is a certain "feel" in the air at night....we now tht it will cool down sometime in the next six weeks! Fall is my favorite time of year, and yes, I miss the colors, but I just decorate to make it feel like autumn for myself! Sandy

junkdreams said...

Love all these treasures....too funny I just found a similiar milk glass lamp at the thrift store and did a re-vamp project on it. If you would like to see how it turned out follow this link: www.junkmarketstyle.com click on blog and scroll down till you see the lamp. More junk ideas on my blog.
xojanis