Pages

Living Graciously, Artfully, Frugally.

Consciously taking notice of the gifts each day places in our path.

“I awoke this morning with devout thanksgiving for my friends, the old and the new.” R. W. Emerson

Monday, August 10, 2009

Thrifty Overload?

I am joining Rhoda once again for her Thrifty treasures party.
When I said I didn't find much at the Longest Yard Sale in my last post, I wasn't complaining. I love thrifting. I mean, how else could you find a ten dollar shiny brown 70's era rocker and with a bit of sandpaper and spray paint, turn it into a faux antique?
However, I think I am becoming much more discriminating in my quest for junk. How much can I possibly use? We collect many things at Frippery Farmhouse. Hubs loves his globes and I love children's books.

We both love postcards of local scenes in times past. How do you keep from overloading?
I have noticed that I have been passing up things I normally would jump at. For example, I did spy a few things at the LYS that definitely caught my eye. I love these aluminum canisters and the tray but I already have more than I need very much like them. I also loved the yellow wood stand , then I realized I have a similar white one at home.
I was gaga over this cute cabinet but once again, I have one very similar to this already. So I feel I have learned to pick and choose. Not only do I save mass amounts of cash by decorating with vintage pieces, I save even more by not buying the ones I do not need one more of.
You see, I wasn't disappointed about not finding more than I did. I found lots of things I loved, but didn't need. The love of the hunt will never stop. I will just be a bit pickier.

Have a Thrifty Monday, P.
P.S. What happened to my blog break? Ha ha!
Pin It!

14 comments:

mary'smom said...

I know what you mean. I had to stop myself this weekend. I really don't have a lot of room for all of the stuff I see.

common ground said...

It's hard to transition on buying when you don't currently have a re-sale space. I'm on overload right now. We love that bargain and find it so hard to pass it by. I would have loved to have made it to that yard sale. All the photos have made my mouth water!
Debra

ALVN of WhisperWood Cottage and Junkologie said...

Right there with you, Pam! I remember reading somewhere about one woman who said she was happy just knowing that such wonderful things exist and that she didn't need to own all of it. I've started to really think about what my style is and what things I really need/want. With that, it's been easier to just "know" about wonderful pieces without having to take them home.

Amy

Musings of a Sea Witch said...

Oh how I feel your glorious pain. I've got a garage that is overflowing and a room that is maxed because I do not have big enough space and can't find the right space for another location to sell. It is so hard to not buy when an opportunity for wonderful tings comes you way. Sea Witch

The Elegant Thrifter said...

Pam,

I absolutely adore old post cards, but set some rules for myself: I (TRY TO) only buy from places I've been, or for people who have lived or loved in those places. Also, I (TRY TO) only buy blank cards that I use as a quick note or a gift tag. Note I said TRY.....I would say I'm 80 percent in sticking to the rules!

However, I am a bit jealous that you went to that wonderful yard sale. That would have made my weekend perfect!

Stan

The Queen of Fifty Cents said...

One of my thrifting goals this year is to be much more discriminating and NOT bring home what I won't immediately use. With mixed results (i.e. the nifty side table I scored this week)!

trash talk said...

A big plus is when you are doing a show and sell something, it is so much easier to repoof when things blend and go together on their own colorwise!
I'll pass on a lot of stuff that I know would sell simply because it is just too much of a headache to try and make it "work" for me.
Lesson I
Debbie

Sue said...

You just keep buying what you like, even if that means multiples...LOL Do you impulse buy when you're not thrifting? *grin* Sometimes, its okay to have "looking days."
Sue

The Elegant Thrifter said...

Thank you for your kind post about my heartwarming bracelet. I still can't believe the story, and now I have two cherished bracelets to be careful with!

Stan

Geralyn Gray said...

I took my music off my blog after the holidays---omg I might have to start it again----You blew me away with a summer wind!!!!!!!! My most favorite song...my husband and I only hear it when we are somewhere romantic.......thanks for bringing back all those good memories!!!!!!!

The Queen of Clearance said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog! Blogger has been nuts too to I understand it not letting you follow! Im going to follow you too, love your blog!

Berlin Deluxxe said...

I've slowly am learning self control....
:)

Mommyto3andahusky said...

love your blog! :)

Mommyto3andahusky said...

love your blog! :)