Pages

Living Graciously, Artfully, Frugally.

Consciously taking notice of the gifts each day places in our path.

“I awoke this morning with devout thanksgiving for my friends, the old and the new.” R. W. Emerson

Wednesday, August 19, 2009

My First Tablescape Thursday


My first Tablescape Thursday and Between Naps on the Porch is celebrating a blogversary, go visit and say yippee!
I am sharing a dinner party I hosted way back in February, to celebrate Mardi Gras. We are members of a four couple dinner club which meets 5 or 6 times a year. Our last turn fell in February. I relied on Best Blog Buddy Jodie to give me hints as to colors etc. After all she is my connection to all things Cajun.

I used a clearance sale KMart Martha Stewart Christmas table cloth as my purple foundation. Amber thrifted glassware and gold, green and purple coins from the Dollar Tree added more color.
A gold painted birdcage and green and purple trim wrapping more amber glass, gave an old world feel. I used green and purple vintage books to add interest.
My gold trimmed wedding china came out of the closet to spice things up, along with a mix of my own and MIL's flatware. All in all a very festive table befitting the last days of feasting before fasting.
I served traditional gumbo and made my own roux. (I later learned that roux can be purchased ready made but who knew?) Now I consider myself an expert. (Right Jodie?)
We played a few non traditional Mardi Gras games and had a wonderful evening full of laughter and friendship.

Of course an Ohio Mardi Gras and an oven mitt are not usual Lenten fare but we'll do anything for fun, right?
Hope you enjoy visiting all the tablescapes today.

Have a tantalizing Thursday, P.
Pin It!

15 comments:

trash talk said...

Laizzes Bon Temps Rouler, y'all!
(I sure hope I spelled that right or Jodie will be giving my knuckles a sharp smack with a ruler.)
If I had known we were going to be traveling the "Way Back Machine", I would have worn a sweater.
Gorgeous table. I'm not always a purple person, but this is fantastic!
Debbie

marty39 said...

Your table is gorgeous, and your stemware is simply stunning. I just love it. What a fun event and it looks like you were having a wonderful time. Hugs, Marty

Sarah said...

I so believe in magic! Lovely table. Glad you are joining TT. It was a real treat to visit today. Happy Tablescape Thursday and hope to see you at my place to toast Susan on her anniversary.
http://hyacinthforthesoul.blogspot.com/

susan said...

Jodie was a good consultant! Your table looks lovely! Every good cajun recipe starts with "first you MAKE a roux"--good for you! I don't think the commercial kind is the nearly as good! This looks like a lot of fun!

Jodie LeJeune said...

"Laissez les bons temps rouler"
(Debbie beat me to it! That darn Texas gal)
However she DID misspell it but I would never smack a cool chic! :)

Congrats on participating in TT!! I love it and your table looks Cajunly fascinating!!!!
I love the green and purple books...heck, I love ALL of the details! Looks like a table my Mom would have set for us to have dinner!!!

If you were close I'd give you a big Louisiana hug girl...you just make me MORE lonesome for you everyday!!!!!

Have fun today browsing everyone's beautiful settings!!!! However, once they stop here, they just might stay for the Mardi Gras Party!!!!!!

everything vintage

Marilyn said...

I am so far away from New Orleans but I LOVE IT!! Maybe I am a closet Cajun after all!! LOL!!
Beautiful Table Scape... I Love the colors!!
Hugs for You,
Marilyn

Tristan Robin Blakeman said...

What a glorious and lavish table setting! It must have put everybody in a truly festive state of mind!

kanishk said...

Congrats on participating in TT!! I love it and your table looks Cajunly fascinating!!!!
I love the green and purple books.


Work From Home

Elise said...

just wanted to say what a wonderful blog you have. Your pictures are stunning and I've really enjoyed having a nose around. Thank you and best wishes !

Sue said...

Looks like a fun time was had by all at a beautifully set table! The gilded birdcage accented an already pretty table. Those are gorgeous gold banded glasses, Pam.
:-) Sue

zandra said...

Your table setting looks fabulous! Looks like you had a great time! Hugz, Z

Mid-Atlantic Martha said...

This certainly looks like a fun time was had by all!

Debbie Moore's Slice of Pie Cookbooks said...

Beautiful! Congrats on your first TT ... I've just been doing it a few weeks ... and love it! Make sure you look at my blog ... and leave me a note!

Bill said...

Great 1st TT post! Fun, colorful, and beyond festive!!!

Welcome ... I'm so glad you participated! Thanks for sharing your table and your "bon temps" with us!

Bill

Sharlotte said...

Welcome to Tablescape Thursday! Your table is beautiful! I love all the colors you blended together and you added a couple of my all time favorites...books and birdcages! Be sure to join us all again next week. Enjoy your weekend!