Pages

Living Graciously, Artfully, Frugally.

Consciously taking notice of the gifts each day places in our path.

“I awoke this morning with devout thanksgiving for my friends, the old and the new.” R. W. Emerson

Monday, May 25, 2009

Thrifty Treasures

I am participating in Southern Hospitality's Thrifty Treasures Party today.
We are having a busy weekend. A wedding on Friday and my mom's 80th birthday Monday, and graduation this week! We did find time to go estate sale shopping in between.I collect old children's books and found some very old ones. They are in rough shape but I could not resist. This Roosevelt Bears book has a date of 1907. The spine has come apart and I haven't gotten to browse through it yet but I think it has all of it's pages.
My other score is two Frank Baum books. The copy of the Wizard of Oz is dated 1899 and is in decent condition for it's age although the pages are loose. The other, called John Dough and the Cherub is in poor shape but the owner assured me all of the pages are here. I am thinking of finding out if they can be rebound, and if it would be worth doing. I would love to see them preserved.
I also found a couple of 50's patterns. Why don't women dress like this any more? I know we are probably WAY more comfy but...
I would so wear this jacket. If only I could sew. Gloves and hat too.
I would make one in each version. My Silver Bella wardrobe maybe? If I lose a few pounds I just may make an attempt!
For the traveler who just can't wait to make the trek to the hotel bar...
just bring this portable set up with you. Space for three different liquors, a mixing spoon, bottle opener, shot glass and 4 cups! It is a party in a case.
Hmmm, I was thinking of selling this but...maybe this could go to Silver Bella too!

I doubt it would make it through the airport security!
Check out all the wonderful Thrifty Treasures on Rhoda's blog today.
Happy Memorial Day! Thanks to all who served and are serving our country to assure our freedom and safety. Prayers for your safe return home.

Have an all American Memorial Day, P.
Pin It!

14 comments:

Tristan Robin Blakeman said...

If you decide to make it a project, I'll be glad to help you through your jacket construction ... it's quite a sophisticated fabric manipulation and would be quite elegant today, when such details are ignored.

Scooterblu's Whimsy~Rhonda said...

Great finds, especially the vintage books! ~Rhonda :)

Sue said...

Wow, Pam, I LOVE those books! How cool to find them...especially the Baum one. Hope you can find someone to rebind them for you.

I too kinda wish women dressed more feminine than they do today. Have you ever seen the movie "Far From Heaven" with Julianne Moore and Dennis Quaid? It has some lovely 50s clothing in it. (Aside from that, it is one of my faves. Check it out sometime. It is modeled after the "50s films" such as "All That Heaven Allows" that were very popular back in the day.)

Hope you are having a wonderful holiday weekend!

Mary said...

I love the books! I would have had to purchase them too. Great finds.

Jodie LeJeune said...

I'm glad you have those books now Pam. They seemed to have been well loved by many a children...they are certainly in safe hands now. (The covers are just gorgeous!)

Why don't we wear those clothes anymore? Well, I'll be the first to be honest...maybe because the waist size is the size of my thumb! However I do agree that women were so classy back then. My Mom dressed like that until she passed away in 2003. Everyone (I mean everyone) stopped and asked her where she bought her clothes. She'd smile and say she picked it up on a shopping spree in Paris...
If they only new it was her SAME clothes from waaay back, even after having 6 children!

I wish I would have had her genes!!!!

Oh, and thanks for buying the portable bar...I know the thought of ME ran through your head (at least once). That will tie us over until happy hour starts!!!!

I just loved this post...can't you tell?
everything vintage

~~Carol~~ said...

Wow, I would love to find an old copy of Oz! You're so lucky! That portable bar looks fun. Great finds!

marty39 said...

What fabulous books. They are just wonderful. Hugs, Marty

The Tattered Cottage said...

Great finds on the books and I love the old patterns. I love the jacket pattern...so classy! I love how people dressed in the 40's & 50's , I would dress like that if I HAD a figure like that LOL.
Toni

lucyslounge-dee said...

i have irish language childrens books at my shop if you would like i can send you one as a gift

KarenB said...

Oh, I love the patterns. I would definitely make the jacket. I found patterns too. Mine are from the 60's or 70's. I don't know what I'm going to with them yet. Your books are way better than mine. I found some gardening ones. Looks like you got some great deals!

Jessica Morris said...

Your pictures are fabulous! I love those old books, they look so cozy and like they have been well loved... if only they could talk of the places and things they have seen =)

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Those are great books, I love to find old books too. Thanks for playing today!

trash talk said...

Pam, I think you found some real treasure with your book finds. I love the patterns and would so wear the jacket if I wasn't afraid it would look like a matador's cape on me! Ole!!! Didn't Sissy Spacek wear jackets like that in "The Long Walk Home"?
I can't believe it's almost time for graduation!

Sandi said...

I look forward to seeing you in this jacket. It's so you!
VictorianGypsy