Pages

Living Graciously, Artfully, Frugally.

Consciously taking notice of the gifts each day places in our path.

“I awoke this morning with devout thanksgiving for my friends, the old and the new.” R. W. Emerson

Monday, May 18, 2009

Thrifty Metamorphosis

I am participating in Rhoda's Southern Hospitality's Monday Treasures as well as Sue's Metamorphosis Monday.
My husband and I have been slowly embarking on a goal of not buying "new" but only vintage or pre-owned items whenever we can. Especially when it comes to home projects. So the following is a no cost transformation for us.
I must tell you it took a bit of bravery to post these before pictures. We have a hall "utility" closet that had become the place to shove everything that had no place else to go. No matter how many times I cleaned this space it soon returned to the jumble you see here.Each time I passed this spot with something in my hand that needed a place to live...in it went...temporarily of course. However temporarily usually became permanently. I finally decided enough is enough. I needed space to store my ever growing china and glass addiction. My solution was to turn this closet into a space to store all the things that I use for dinner parties. "Good" china, large bowls, vintage napkins and dinner ware, all the things I usually have to dig out of ten different places when I entertain.
I also placed the big counter top appliances I do not use everyday such as my Kitchen Aid mixer, crock pot and party perk. Now I can open the door and delight at the organization. Everything is right where I can see it. No danger of shoving in something that doesn't belong now. This closet has a definite purpose. Isn't that what we all want, a purpose?
We added a few shelves with some left over melamine coated shelving from another project. I did not paint the interior as this was a quick solution, but I may browse the oops paint section for a bright and unexpected color when I have more time. (Hmmm...I may be able to browse my own paint selection in the garage.) There is something so soothing about an organized closet. No stress of digging into every nook and cranny to find that one thing you need at the moment. Ahhhh, all my thrift store finds right where they belong.
Speaking of thrifty finds, this is a variation on something you have seen many times on different blogs. (I know I have seen the top piece used on Cherry's Jubilee as a cloche as well) I gathered a few candle holders, petite plates (maybe butter pat dishes) and the glass pieces that I believe are used in metal candle sconces flipped upside down as cloches. Grab some E-6000 glue and vintage ribbon or seam tape for decoration...
Ta da, sweet diminutive cloches for tiny treasures such as these figural salt and peppers.
I have lots of little treasures that would be lost in a vignette but these cloches raise them (literally) to a new prominence.

Next time you are browsing your favorite thrift or vintage store, grab a few bits and bobs to play with at home. A few bucks and some glue or paint can make an amazing difference. Now visit the rest of the thrifty transformations and treasures to be found at Rhoda and Sue's blogs. You will be amazed.

Have a Thrifty Monday, P.
Pin It!

22 comments:

Marilyn said...

What wonderful tips!! You almost make me want to tackle my closet.... almost!!
Love Ya,
Marilyn
xxoo

delighted heart said...

WOW! What a great transformation! Could you come to my house? I've got a couple of closets! Great inspiration! Have great week!

Pinky said...

I did something similiar yesterday too. I ahve a closet in my kitchen that is a catchall for kitchen STUFF, so I took the things I don't use alot (big soup pots, BIG electric fry pan etc. down to the basement storage room and created some room for MY GROOOO!:):) I LOVE your mini cloches!!!! Great idea!!!! Pinky

trash talk said...

You will now have everybody and their dog out scrambling for those hurricane thingys to use as cloches...way to go Pam!
The closet looks fantastic and I'm thinking I need to do the same thing once I get to feeling better!
Debbie

Tristan Robin Blakeman said...

Love your do-it-yourself pedestal and cloche displays. Perfect!

We live in a condo - so we space is at a premium. We also had a muzgo closet right outside the guest bathroom...as in, 'everthing in this closet must go.'

We tore the whole closet out and it is now our computer nook!

I haven't missed a single thing I had crammed into that overstuffed 6'x4'x9'space!

Fifi Flowers said...

Nicely organized!

Linda/"Mom" said...

* Doesn't it feel sooooo incredibly GOOD to get that done & organized??? KUDOS, KIDDO!!!~~~~ MAYYYYBE, just mayyybe, THIS will get ME off my duff & I can be inspired to tackle a few of those "junk drawers" we always seem to have but, unfortunately, "NEED"!!! THANKS! Linda *

kimmcl said...

Don't you just love being organized?! My DH and I just spent all day Sunday organizing the basement storage areas - not fun I assure you - but now that's it done, I feel so satisfied.

nikkicrumpet said...

Your closet turned out marvelous. It does feel good when you get organized. And I LOVE the little cloches!

Christi said...

Wow! I've got plenty of closets if you would like more practice :)

Christi @ a Southern Life
http://asouthernlife.com

ALVN of WhisperWood Cottage and Junkologie said...

Love that cloche project! I am totally inspired!!

Amy

susan said...

Your (before) closet is my laundry room :) It looks great now and it will be so easy to find things when you entertain. Your little cloches are very inventive--love them!

Bee Serendipitous said...

Great job!! I have a closet that looks like your before pictures but my closet is large enough to make into a small small laundry room...so I've decided that this is going to be my project for this weekend and I will post pictures of it on my blog..thank you for the inspiration and you've also inspired me to make a couple of the mini pedestals and cloches...thanks a bunch...hope to meet you at Silver Bella...have a honey of a night! Grace & Peace 2 "U" Marlene :O)

Really Rainey said...

Hey, now that's inspiring! I have a closet like that... and last night Hubby went to get the broom out and opened the door and the broom attacked him! Just jumped right out at him! That was my clue... your post was my inspiration! Thanks! Happy MM
~Really Rainey~

marty39 said...

Oh, how I envy that china closet. It is just fabulous. I really need to find a place in my house to have something like it. Such a great idea. Hugs, Marty

sew revived said...

Oh Pam!
Come on up river! I have a whole house you can decorate to your heart's content!!
Love Ya!
Sandra Lee

Sue said...

What a transformation!

And I loved Sue's blog! I didn't get to Rhonda's yet. I am sure it will be equally awesome.

Loved your cloches, Pam. Your blog is so much fun!

Kammy said...

Love your header !
Your before and after are great (you are a brave brave soul, LOL)
Thanks for sharing ~ Hugs, Kammy

Marie Reed said...

I am going to wrestle with my closet today! Thanks for the inspiration!

Kim @ Manning Family Tree said...

I had to laugh when I saw the before photo of your closet. Looks like mine!!! I have lots of places that I stick things "temporarily" but then later I can't remember where I put the item. I so need to organize my closets. Who knows what treasures await me if I do. Your closet turned out great. And I love you new/old little cloches & display plates.

Jodie LeJeune said...

Your closet makes my closet look like crap.
You are so brave to post before and after pictures. I'm so scared people will not be my friend if I do that!!! ;)
I'd love a closet just for my thrify finds...you have set off yet another spark of imagination!!!
everything vintage

Stephenie said...

What a great transformation...Let me tell you my closet all look 10 times worse than your before picture..I've been trying to reorganize my house...I'm not making much progress though...
I just looooove cloches they're just to darn cute...
Stephenie