Pages

Living Graciously, Artfully, Frugally.

Consciously taking notice of the gifts each day places in our path.

“I awoke this morning with devout thanksgiving for my friends, the old and the new.” R. W. Emerson

Wednesday, May 20, 2009

A Charmed Life Indeed

I am linking this post to The Nester's Favorite Post of 2009 party. I chose this one because I see it as the beginning to our new way of life and a healthy way of dealing with the changes. We are still here and still surviving and thriving! Thanks, Nester!

 I am participating in Susan's Outdoor Wednesday today. Please visit her to see what all of the other participants are up to outside today.There is nothing like a stroll around the garden with a pencil and paper, making lists of what needs to be done, to clear your mind of clutter. Instead of making a list of chores this morning though, I worked on a list of options. Like many in this economy we have had an unexpected change in our circumstances. Not the type of change one would have expected at this time in our lives, with one child in college and another beginning in the fall, still a good 15 years away from retirement. Needless to say my first reaction was panic.
Now a bit less than a week later my husband has made me realize that this is a blessing, a new door opening, a chance to start in a new direction. He wasn't really happy where he was and we have lots of time to decide exactly what we want to do with the rest of our lives. So we are assessing what needs to be done around the house and garden. Reveling in the time we have to actually accomplish the many tasks that need to be done. We will be fine, actually better than fine. Refreshed. Reinvigorated. A new plan on the horizon. I am looking ahead now not to the sadness of an empty nest but the prospect of doing something different. Embarking on an unexpected journey at an unexpected time in our lives.
So, I am taking a morning stroll to see whats up around the garden.
A bit of tidying is needed. Some weeds to be rid of. Maybe some plants moved and divided.
Time to get a close up view of the details. What is really important.
Enjoy the green and peaceful world that surrounds us. Delight in the joyful colors.
Smell the roses (er..I mean peonies) so to speak.

Step back and reassess from a distance. Get a bit of perspective on things.
Trim up a bit but don't go overboard.
Bask in the warm sunny days ahead.
Brilliance can be found in the smallest bloom.
Don't be deterred by a few weeds, they can be cleared away with little strain.
These tiny herbs will grow abundantly in the next few weeks, providing flavor, scent, texture and a feast for the senses.
Work in progress will continue. The satisfaction of a job well done is it's own reward.
Time to sit and swing when the day's labor is complete.
A new path has opened before us and we are more than ready to explore what is in store.
We will savor every small treasure along the way.
Seeds sown in season's past are bursting into bloom.
Let's climb this path together...
to enjoy the peace of a contented life.
Slow and steady wins the race.
As Helen Keller said, "Keep your face to the Sunshine and you cannot see the Shadow. It's what the Sunflowers do."

Have an abundantly joyful Wednesday, P.
Pin It!

19 comments:

marty39 said...

Such a gorgeous garden. Everything is just beautiful, but your message is even more important. Such upbeat and encouraging words. Hugs,Marty

Jodie LeJeune said...

Oh Pam,
This had to be one of your best posts ever...straight from the heart (and the garden).
We often forget all of the blessings around us...thanks for reminding us of that today.
Being here with you this morning was a great way to start my day...
Thank You!!!
everything vintage

Marilyn said...

What a Beautiful Garden... What a Beautiful Post!! I guess when circumstances change we can cry & wail but they still remain changed. May as well "go with the flow"!
Thanks for the reminder of the Little Blessings in Life!!
Love,
Marilyn
xxoo

delighted heart said...

What a beautiful garden! And beautiful words! I think I hear a door starting to open! Doors open faster for a grateful and blessed heart...and that's just what I'm hearing! In the meantime could you come and work on my garden for me!Blessings to you and your family!
Patti

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Pam, your garden is AMAZING! Ever corner reveals something wonderful. You are living a charmed life in that garden, and it reminds me of what my FIL used to say to us all the time, "Strive to live a quiet and peaceful life." That may be true, but the touches of whimsy in your garden (like that cute red wagon filled with plants) add just the right exclamation mark to that formula!

Happy Outdoor Wednseday...

XO,

Sheila :-)

Mary said...

The options list sure looks as though it's working for you. What a beautiful garden.

Barb~Bella Vista said...

Gorgeous pictures. Happy Outdoor Wednesday.

Barb

Carole~Maynard Greenhouse said...

Just popped over from Laura's 52 Flea on my 2 min. lunch break and so glad i did. I am so jealous of your garden. I didn't see a weed anywhere. Mine right now is all weeds. Your right about taking the time to smell the roses. Something I find hard to do.
Thanks for the reminder.
Carole

Alicia @ boylerpf said...

How wonderful...the saying fro Helen Keller AND your garden. A real person grows from adversity and adapts to change. You have a very healthy outlook on change...Great for you!!!

Susan @ A Southern Daydreamer said...

Happy Outdoor Wednesday Pam! You have a wonderful yard! I love to sit with a notebook in the yard and make notes of changes and plans....Thanks for sharing your photos.~ Susan

Christi said...

A beautiful post - beautiful pictures and beautiful words. Going through some changes around here to and find your words ringing so true!

Christi @ A Southern Life
http://asouthernlife.com

Sue said...

Pam,
Your gardens are BEAUTIFUL! Thanks for letting us "stroll" around your grounds.

My husband and I are also facing some unexpected twists and turns right now...I REALLY needed to read this post today. Thank you for your soothing words! No matter WHAT is going on in the world around us, God knows every hair on our heads! If it weren't for my faith in Him, I would be pretty much freaking out right now. But God is still in control...not this economy nor our government. We just have to hang on!

Thanks again for your thoughts today, Pam! God bless you and your family!

Kristine said...

You have a really beautiful garden. Thank you so much for posting all the pictures.

Kristine

trash talk said...

Pam,
Your gardens and your outlook are both over the top fantastic. You, my friend, are my muse!
I just have to ask one question...do you and Receipts do the yardwork? The landscaping is perfect.
Debbie

Stephenie said...

OH My!!! What a BEAUTIFUL garden you have there...Your pictures turned out amazing...I just loooooove looking at your pretty flowers...Here in Pa, our flowers are slowly starting to bloom...
Stephenie

thedomesticfringe said...

Your garden is amazingly beautiful!!!!

-FringeGirl

Christy said...

what a beautiful post.

SPACE LOVER said...

HI HOW ARE YOU I HOPE YOU WILL BE FINE I VISIT YOUR WEBSITE AND FOLLOW IT AS A FRIEND IT IS NICE AND INFORMATIVE WEBSITE SPECIALLY INFORMATION ABOUT SOME SPECIAL THINGS THANKS FOR IT.
PLEASE VISIT MY WEBSITE AND FOLLOW ME AS A FRIEND AND ALSO SEND SOME COMMENTS ON MY POSTS
http://www.onlinespacer.blogspot.com/
http://www.worldofjewellery.blogspot.com/

Struggler said...

What a wonderful garden! The peonies were simply amazing.
I imagine it looks a bit different just now ;)