Pages

Living Graciously, Artfully, Frugally.

Consciously taking notice of the gifts each day places in our path.

“I awoke this morning with devout thanksgiving for my friends, the old and the new.” R. W. Emerson

Tuesday, April 7, 2009

My Wish For You

A bit of girly bling to cheer you. I am working on the pink and green swap that Gypsy Mermaid is hosting. My swap partner, the Atomic Housewife, loves retro feminine things too. Great match! Stop and say Hi to these fun, creative bloggers.I have been feeling a bit melancholy as my daughter's graduation approaches and I know some of you share my feelings. My friend Geralyn at Greetings from Geralyn, is having her ups and downs as well about her soon to be empty nest. I know this stage of our lives is coming to an end but a whole new stage is opening before us. We can watch the young adults we have raised go out and fullfill their own dreams. I was reading about Georgia O'Keefe recently and in the course of an interview she gave in her late 90's when asked about a photograph of her, she said it was one of her favorites as it was a picture of her and her dog looking toward the future. When the photo was taken she was 88 years old! This is the wish I have for all of us. That we do not look at each stage of our lives as an ending but as a stepping off point for new and even better times ahead.
My wish is that we work to keep ourselves healthy and our minds strong but also keep the child in our hearts alive. Keep creating and writing and gardening and whatever you find your playtime to be. This is what makes life worth living. If you can make a living at what you love even better. One of my favorite songs is Bob Dylan's Forever Young. What more could you wish for the people you care for than the words of this song.

"Forever Young"

May God bless and keep you always
May your wishes all come true
May you always do for others
And let others do for you
May you build a ladder to the stars
And climb on every rung
May you stay forever young
Forever young, forever young
May you stay forever young.

May you grow up to be righteous
May you grow up to be true
May you always know the truth
And see the lights surrounding you
May you always be courageous
Stand upright and be strong
May you stay forever young
Forever young, forever young
May you stay forever young.

May your hands always be busy
May your feet always be swift
May you have a strong foundation
When the winds of changes shift
May your heart always be joyful
And may your song always be sung
May you stay forever young
Forever young, forever young
May you stay forever young.

As my daughter's graduation approaches the selfish part of me wishes that these two people could stay small forever but the mother in me knows that as a parent our job is to raise our children to leave our home and make lives and homes of their own. Not always and easy task, especially the letting go.

But when I see this sweet daughter of mine with all her talents, hopes and dreams I feel that it is good to let go. To let her experience her own life, separate from us. The life we have raised her to lead.
When I look at my darling son and see how far he has gone in the few short years since his own graduation I feel at peace. I know he will be successful and I hope his life will be fulfilling. There will always be a home to come to for my children but I know they need to seek their own place to call home as well. So we send them off with our blessings and joy in the knowledge that we have done our job as parents the best way we know how.
So my wish for you is to keep the child in your heart alive while being the best person you can be. May you stay forever young.

Have an exciting new Wednesday, P.
Pin It!

11 comments:

trash talk said...

And maybe, just maybe, they will become famous and be able to support us in our old age!
Beautiful post as usual, Pam.
Debbie

Marilyn said...

Our daughter turns 38 tomorrow & our son wil be 40 next January. That sets me on my backside.... I distinctly remember turning 40 & all the angst I had over it. Now I have children turning 40.. WOW!
I went through the "Oh, now what shall I do"... empty nest thing. BUT when I look back at it I was just feeling sorry for myself. I did nothing for quite awhile & then realized that my children were having a ball discovering life for themselves & I wasn't.
This is another chapter in our lives & believe me once you get the sadness out of the way you will realize that THE BEST IS YET TO COME!!
Love,
Marilyn
xxoo

Sandra said...

Lovely post. My only child will be 35 this month. When my nest became empty I filled it with horses. You'll find your way, as they find theirs.

Geralyn Gray said...

Ok--that was a great post Pam--I am going to have to email you or do a corresponding post so as not to leave my infamous paragraph--Debbie made me laugh out loud--AGAIN! I am so thankful for fellow bloggers like you---it's cloudy here in NJ but you are like rays of sunshine letting some light in---thanks Pam--we are going to be just fine!!!!!!

boylerpf said...

Beautiful kids and a great post. We have been empty nesters for several years and really enjoy the kids when they come home. It is the best when you can see their growth over the years and most of all..see their happiness at becoming responsible adults. It is hard, but so gratifying.

idrawpix said...

I am always gently reminded of what is truly important and meaningful here in your thoughtful posts. I love the O'Keefe quote and will definitely take that to heart!

Stephenie said...

Your children are just beautiful...I'm dreading the empty nest days..Time just goes by so quick...My son is only 14 but it seem like yesterday I was holding him in my arms...Love that song, it brought tears to my eyes...
Just a beautiful post...
Stephenie

Jodie LeJeune said...

You wrote that from the heart Pam...really. Sadie & little Joe are soooo lucky to have such a wonderful Mom as you.

Can you please adopt me??? (I think I asked you that before...I'll keep asking until you tell me YES!)

Seriously friend, you will be fine. Your love for those kids will always reach farther than they could ever travel...

Smiles,
everything vintage

Sue said...

As an "empty nester" myself, I must say, you really summed it up eloquently, Pam. These are the hopes and dreams I have for my daughter as well. And I LOVE Dylan's version of "Forever Young"...beautiful!

Good advice...not a time to look inward...we must look outward to exciting new experiences...as our children are doing the same.

ANOTHER great post, Pam.
God Bless!

Berlin Deluxxe said...

Beautiful and heartfelt post. Kudos!

delighted heart said...

Beautiful post and beautiful kids! We became empty nesters in 2004...and let me tell you it's not as bad as everyone says! We found it to be pretty fun! Our kids had to go off to find their own way but when they came back they came back as our best friends! Just don't look back for awhile...look to the future! Theirs and yours!
Hugs!
Patti