Pages

Living Graciously, Artfully, Frugally.

Consciously taking notice of the gifts each day places in our path.

“I awoke this morning with devout thanksgiving for my friends, the old and the new.” R. W. Emerson

Sunday, March 22, 2009

A View From an Altered State

I am taking you on a short visit to Newport Ky. Joe and I visited this fun antique mall Saturday morning. It is called Sin City Antique Mall. Did you know that Newport Ky. was once a more popular destination than Las Vegas ? Known as Sin City for it's reputation as gambling and prostitution mecca. When I was growing up it had a rather nasty reputation as a strip club capital. That has changed in the past 20 years as Newport has been growing into a beautiful place to come for entertainment (not strippers), dining , shopping and nightlife. (Sometimes I think Cinci. should take a lesson from Northern Ky. on how to attract people downtown).
This mall had tons of fun retro clothing and jewelry as well as beautiful furniture. I found a gorgeous wood display case that would solve all my storage woes, but there isn't an uninterrupted wall in my whole house where it would fit. Too bad.We then took a stroll along Riverside Dr. in Covington, because , as you know I love my Cincinnati and wanted to show you a different perspective.
Cincinnati from across the Ohio. Mind you, this view is what you would see each day if you lived on Riverside Dr. in one of the Civil War era homes on the river front.
Can you just imagine living here? Which one would you choose? I don't think I would ever come away from the windows! Look at these porches! I am crazy about this area.
I love the side porches on this home. I know there is a specific name for them but it escapes me at the moment.
Gorgeous windows. In the background, the big sloping glass building is a recently built condo complex called the Ascent. There was much back and forth about whether would be beautiful or an eyesore. I personally find it stunning. I have always loved the juxtaposition of historic and modern that make up urban areas.
It would be heaven to live in this historic district, a peaceful place within walking distance of the entertainment and dining that city living has to offer. I don't think we will be forking out the sum that would land us in one of these lovely homes. The Ascent is not in our future either I fear. The average price per unit is just under a million with the penthouse going for just under five. I guess I must content myself with a stroll along the river. I can dream, right?
The trees are flowering in Northern Ky. It is amazing, the difference of a few miles can advance the spring weather by weeks.
Do not forget to double click on these photos to check out all the decorative detail on these charming homes.
Looking across the river towards home.
I think she deserves her name as the Queen City.
This bridge is nicknamed the MacDonald bridge for obvious reasons.
To the east of downtown lies historic Mt. Adams, built into to the hillside where vineyards once grew. I spoke of this neighborhood in a previous post. Seeing the city from across the river shows her at her best.
Thanks for indulging me once again in my fascination for Cincinnati and her history.

Have a Monday full of new experiences, P.
Pin It!

19 comments:

Marie Reed said...

LOL! The McDonald bridge! Now I want a cheeseburger!

Berlin Deluxxe said...

Your cityscapes never fail to impress, thanks for sharing :)

boylerpf said...

Great photos! I love old houses and wish the walls could talk. I always imagine sitting on those wide porches watching the carriages go by. How cool would that be?

Marilyn said...

Beautiful photos! I love brick homes with huge porches!! Oh, who am I kidding I would love to be the Grande Dame of a Historic House in Savannah or Charleston or any Civil War Era Plantation Mansion anywhere as long as it is in the South!! LOL!!
Love,
Marilyn
xxoo

Sue said...

Pam,
I am so glad to get your eyeview of the town of my birth. We NEVER get there anymore. And the last time I was in Newport was at the WEBN fireworks when Lauren was about 5 or 6. We learned the KY side is the best side to be situated in.

I saw Bo Bice in Covington, KY at Jillian's...I think that place is closed now.

The homes you showcased are absolutely beautiful. I REALLY enjoy your treks across the Queen City...Keep them coming. If you think about it, let us know of upcoming events before the fact...I might be able to make some of them this summer.

Jodie LeJeune said...

Lovely post and I love love love the title of it. You are so creative. Your city and the surrounding area is beautiful indeed. Thanks for taking me there again and again.
Just a note, the man sitting on the park bench has been reading the same page for quite a long time! ;)
everything vintage

Sue said...

Pam,
While perusing your side bar, I found your link to "WhoDeyRevolution". What fun!

Off to check it out further!

trash talk said...

I thought I lived in the altered state...Hmmm! I love the new against the old, just as long as nothing old had to come down for the new. There is probably a lot of posts waiting to be done just from that area alone. Loved it.
Debbie

Geralyn Gray said...

Loved the golden arches-Macdonald's bridge...was the sin city antique gallery an old Woolworth building???? It look like maybe it was. I love all of those big houses on the river.....just think of their mortgages and the flood insurance....nice dream, but an occasional walk on the river is just as good. I am going back to find out what Joe's nickname is---I feel like I missed something.

Geralyn Gray said...

Ok Mr Receipts I don't remember that---I did like retro-Joe though and I thought your banner looked different, but I couldn't confirm it. Don't ever change that picture......She is the best---she still makes me smile whenever I see her!

TheVintageHusband said...

Great pics!! Makes me miss Ohio and the surrounding areas just a wee bit. Looks like a fun way to spend the day! :D

Lynn said...

I've never been to this part of the country but your pictures and your imagery of it makes me want to pack up the ol' 8 seater and hit the road!

My best, Lynn

Tristan Robin Blakeman said...

What lovely homes - they certainly speak of more gracious times.

...terrific photos!

Marie Reed said...

Could you send me the link to Robin Lacey and De Zydeco too! I just love Zydeco music!

Jodie LeJeune said...

Am I loosing it???...or did you just add some tatoos to Mrs. Frippery above??? I cannot believe I didn't notice that before...I love it!!!!!

Yeah-send me the link to the zydeco too!!!!!!! please!

Laura Ingalls Gunn said...

Oh the houses! They are so wonderful.

Frippery said...

Jodie, Yes I did, I was wondering when someone would notice! I will e-mail the zydeco website to you.

ginny said...

What a lovely tribute to this area. Those antique homes are beautiful. I have never seen this area of Cinci. Thank you

Stephenie said...

What beautiful pictures..Thanks for the tour of some of Cincinatti's finest... I just love those homes. The details are just amazing. Love the Mcdonald bridge.
Stephenie