Pages

Living Graciously, Artfully, Frugally.

Consciously taking notice of the gifts each day places in our path.

“I awoke this morning with devout thanksgiving for my friends, the old and the new.” R. W. Emerson

Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Thank you for Being my Friends!

I have the best group of friends a girl could want. Old friends who have known one another for enough time that they have been through some of the ups and downs of life together, have seen one another at the best and worst life has to give, are friends worth keeping close to your heart forever. The kind of friends that know your secrets, laugh at the same old shared stories and know what you are going to say before you say it. I am lucky enough to be blessed with several friends like this. This past Sunday they surprised me completely.
My Dear friend Kathy had invited a group to her home for a Southern Ladies Tea. (Ya'll know I want to be Southern in my next life) Little did I know she had a plot brewing. I was out of town for my 50th birthday so Kathy decided that she would hold a party for me this year. I had no idea, my birthday isn't for a few weeks yet and as I had already passed the half century, I strolled on in without a clue. Wouldn't you think the cake would have been a give away? No, I thought it might be for Kathy's sister who was stopping by. I picked up my friend Sue on the way to Kathy's and she had a gift bag with her, a hostess gift I figured, berating myself for coming empty handed. Kathy even asked if I liked the cake. Yum, coconut is my favorite, I replied, clueless. When other guests arrived with gifts I thought "Oh crap, I missed something. Was I supposed to bring a gift and didn't read that part of the invitation? What am I going to do now." I wonder why these people are still my friends when they have to spell everything out to me? Once again Kathy mentioned the cake as I was taking photos of the table. Click! A lightbulb! Is this party for me? These girls are good at keeping a secret!
Kathy served delicious food, black eyed peas and crab spread, tiny sweets and coconut BIRTHDAY cake, sweet tea, bourbon punch, delish I tell ya! I also spent time taking pictures of Kathy's stock of mid century collections displayed in her sweet little 1920's era cottage.
She is a retro girl who really loves Georges Briard glassware and Vera linens.
So many vintage goodies to look at in her home.
Great little luncheon sets for filling with treats.
Gorgeous deco tile on the fireplace.
Look at the sweet tile and aqua trim in her kitchen.
Luscious bourbon punch, and a retro pot of sweet iced tea.
Of course the best part was the company and the laughter. The kind of laughter that is literally side splitting, can't catch my breath, mascara down the face, shared laughter. I have known some of these women for most of my life. I have been friends with Kathy, Barb and Ellen as well as Kathy's sister since junior high and Mary in high school. The others, Sue, Ellen, Lynn and Linda and I have been friends since our kids were young. Ellen's son and mine have been friends since preschool, our birthdays are a week apart and we were pregnant at the same time with daughters who were born a week apart. Fate.
So we enjoyed the afternoon together, talking, laughing, eating, laughing and... well you know, laughing. I felt like a kid again blowing out my candles with a group of girlfriends cheering me on.
Ralph Waldo Emerson says that "One of the blessings of old friends is that you can afford to be stupid with them. " Thank goodness that is true! Beautiful Mary and Kathy, two of my oldest friends. (Not in age, girls) Tee Hee. Kathy was the gracious hostess.
Oh and did I mention gifts! Clever Kathleen specified gifts to be recycled, regifted or vintage...does she know me well or what?
Look at all this goodness. Teapots and baubles and peacocks and little birds, carnival glass, crystal, stained glass, a frame for my "girls", bookmark, salt and pepper Humpty Dumpty, China flowered box, embroidered hanky, wine, a sweet pea candle and Cherry Blossom lotion...gaaah. You ladies are too much!
Am I the luckiest girl around or what?
I had a thoroughly wonderful day with my best friends.

Thank you Kathy (and Murph, the four footed furry host) you are the best BFF a girl could have!


Have a laughter filled Tuesday, P.
Pin It!

11 comments:

Jodie LeJeune said...

Pam, It takes A GOOD FRIEND to have good friends! You are such a sweet, loving and caring person...how could you not be surrounded by the same??? This was an awesome surprise from the girls and I have no doubt you certainly deserved it!!!! Everything (including the gifts) looked so yummy!!!!
everything vintage

Jodie LeJeune said...

Oh it's me again...
Just wanted to tell you I am so excited that you signed up for the Pink & Green Swap! It's going to be fun! See? You are such a SWEET friend! (I hope we are partners!)
everything vintage

Justpeachy said...

I had so much fun planning the party and hosting the party, I don't want to put my dishes away, I washed them all and have them all sitting on my dining room table, so if everyone wants to come over again this Sunday or every Sunday, we could turn this into a national thing, ladies tea party Sunday, it was so much fun to have all us girlfriends together, I like fellows, don't get me wrong, but I feel sorry for them because they don't get to experience the kind of friendship with other fellows that women can have with each other, it doesn't matter if girlfriends see each other every day or every other decade, the bond is there.

Geralyn Gray said...

Pam--happy birthday!!!!!!!!Thanks for your nice post about your etsy buy.....I have been in AC for 2 nights without my computer. The birthday party for you was well deserved....when is your birthday??????? You have lovely friends.....what a nice surprise!!!!!

bella shabby said...

What a treasure you have in that group of friends. The punch ( especially ) and all the treats looked So good. And the gifts - they know you so well to have them be repurposed. Happy Birthday!

boylerpf said...

You ARE a lucky girl to have such dear friends! Happy belated birthday to you! It looked like a grand time and laughter is always the added icing on the cake.

Tristan Robin Blakeman said...

well, belated happy birthday from me, as well - or, is it early?

Looks like you had quite the fete! You are, indeed, a lucky girl!

Quirkyloon said...

Early Happy Birthday Pam!

What a wonderful surprise! And it looked just fabulous?

Bourbon punch? Wow. That sounds...intoxicating! (heh heh pun intended)

I'm glad you had such a delightful surprise and your friends totally RAWK!

*smile*

moneythoughts said...

Great photos Pam.

I knew the birthday party would be great, I know Kathy.

nikkicrumpet said...

How sweet. But it just means that you are a really special person. Otherwise they wouldn't take the time to make the day so special. It's such a blessing to be surrounded by good friends who love you!

Stephenie said...

Happy belated Birthday!!! Sounds like you have a group of wonderful friends... That cake looked yummy and those cookies too...
Stephenie