Pages

Living Graciously, Artfully, Frugally.

Consciously taking notice of the gifts each day places in our path.

“I awoke this morning with devout thanksgiving for my friends, the old and the new.” R. W. Emerson

Friday, March 6, 2009

I Am Hooked on Waterfeatures

Julia at Hooked on Houses is hosting her Hooked on Friday event. Visit her blog and see what everyone is hooked on right now.
I have been hooked on water features for a long time but we have yet to install one. Each year Cincinnati's Home and Garden show has many creative and gorgeous examples that I would love to see in my own yard.But...aside from the prohibitive expense of many of them, do I really want to invest in the extra time and effort to care for a pond?
I am thinking a pondless waterfall would be more realistic.
This little covered bridge with a fountain and pond is adorable. Wouldn't it be fun to sit inside the bridge reading a book on a rainy day?
Just over the top cute!
Still water is so pretty. This "floating" bridge is awesome too, very peaceful.
My favorite though, is always the natural looking stream with a small waterfall. A woodland setting makes me feel that maybe a fairy or two are just around the next bend.
This diminutive bridge over a small rushing stream is my idea of heavenly.
With a pondless catch basin at the end to cut down on maintenance. Now that is my kind of water feature.
Just imagine the trickling water, lit from below on a summer evening,
flowing to the glistening stones below.
Isn't this charming?
However, a fountain may be a bit more realistic right now. What are you hooked on?

Have a fantastic Friday, P.
Pin It!

17 comments:

Tristan Robin Blakeman said...

These are all so beautiful!

I had a fairly large koi pond at my previous home. It had a fountain, was really minimal upkeep. If you get the right plants and fish, it will take care of itself (beyond skimming leaves and feeding the fish).

We always used to call them 'fountains' and 'water falls' - I didn't know they were 'water features' until I got hooked on watching the BBC program "Changing Rooms."

I can be quite clueless at times LOL

Again - lovely photos!

Sue said...

Don't really know what I am hooked on at the moment...am rushing out the door to see "Watchmen"! Can't wait...

But I ADORE all the pics you posted of these beautiful water features, Pam. Especially the one in which you mentioned reading the book in on a rainy day. That would be heavenly, for sure.

Enjoy tomorrow's wonderful weather!

Jodie LeJeune said...

Well at this moment, I'm hooked on reading your blog and looking at all of the beautiful water features!

If I were to get one, it would have to come with a 6'5" tall dark handsome guy to keep everything blooming and flowing and I would sit on my little bridge and watch him tend to my petals instead of reading a book. Dreaming? yes I am...dreaming is free.
Jodie
everything vintage

Cass said...

We once had a rather unruly water feature -- a river that ran past our former property and every 5 or 7 years would climb rudely out of its banks and head for the house.

These in your blog look much nicer and easier to live with!

thanks! Cass

nikkicrumpet said...

They are so beautiful. And after having a koi pond and waterfall for 4 years now...I can tell you it's the best investment we ever made. I could sit out there for hours and watch the fish, frogs, and birds. The sound is so soothing. And I've discovered I LOVE water gardening because you never have to weed!

Julia @ Hooked on Houses said...

Oh, how fun would it be to having one of these in the yard?! I always get excited by the water features at home shows, too. Someday I want a fountain or SOMEthing in the backyard. Seems like it would be so soothing to hear the water.

Great pics! Thanks for joining the party and sharing them with us today! :-)

trash talk said...

I love reading your posts...I always learn a new, impressive word-prohibitive! My word for the day.
These ponds make my Home Depot one look pretty ticky tacky!
You know you will always be my favorite!
Debbie

completely-coastal.com said...

I love the still water one, so very zen.

Berlin Deluxxe said...

I love water features. I'm lucky to have a Koi pond and pool in the house we've purchased back home (I promise to take pics and share once I'm there. :)

Gayle at Planet M Files said...

They are all so beautiful! They really make me yearn for spring!

Linda at Lime in the Coconut! said...

Ahhhh...what wonderful inspiration you have gifted us with!

We have a couple of Big Chinese pots One right by the front door)that have a bamboo fountain and some water plants in them. Maybe start small like that??

kari and kijsa said...

Beautiful! Love these!
blessings,
kari & kijsa

Antiques and More Blog said...

I love the floating bridge!

We have a small pond outside next to the breakfast room window...it's so soothing to hear the water trickling down, and my goldfish are still living!

Cherry's Jubilee said...

Gorgeous and sooo soothing. cherry

thedomesticfringe said...

These garden spots are absolutely beautiful. I went to a garden show once in Portland, ME. It was snowy and freezing outside, but inside was another world - magical.

In reality, I know I'd never give a huge garden the time or attention it deserves. I'm lucky to have a little patch of green that flowers from time to time.

-FringeGirl

Quirkyloon said...

You are such a classy lady with classy taste!

These are incredibly beautiful.

Quirkyloon said...

Oh I'm hooked on living with such beautiful things vicariously through you!

*smile*