Pages

Living Graciously, Artfully, Frugally.

Consciously taking notice of the gifts each day places in our path.

“I awoke this morning with devout thanksgiving for my friends, the old and the new.” R. W. Emerson

Thursday, March 19, 2009

I Am Hooked on Local Food

This is another Hooked On Friday post for Julia's Hooked on Houses.
Are you making more of an effort to buy your food locally?I am also participating in Gollum's Foodie Friday with my post about Findlay Market.( her theme is train wreck meals but I have too many so...) Findlay Market is Cincinnati's oldest public market. The market building was erected in 1852 and opened for business in 1855.
It is the only one of nine public markets of the late 18th and early 19th century still operating in Cincinnati.
Open Wednesday through Sunday it is on the National Register of Historic Places.
The main building houses about two dozen year round vendors. Meats, spices, seafood and bakery goods can all be found. People from all over the area and all walks of life gather here to purchase locally grown food.
So much more of an event than a trip to the grocery. It is more of a community gathering place in the historical West End of the city.
The beautiful Italianate buildings are slowly being renovated as living space above and retail below.
From April to November these outdoor streets will be lined with local vendors selling home grown produce as well as flowers and soaps, preserves, even waffles.
It was still a bit chilly Saturday but the outdoor spaces were perking up, a sure sign of spring and summer in the market.
Some even get to ride around the market in the lap of luxury.
A taste of things to come.
Love the cheerful paint colors.
We buy organic produce at Madison's.
The market is located near the Over the Rhine district once populated by German immigrants.
This area will be filled next month with various local farmers selling all their delicious bounty.
Buildings newly renovated. The market area has been growing and thriving in the past few years although it has been in continuous operation for 150 years. Each week brings live music, special events and art on display to purchase.
If you are interested in learning more visit the Findlay Market website. If you ever have a chance to travel to Cincinnati you really should put this on your must see list.
Shopping for food is a necessity, why not make it a weekly event?

Have a Friday filled with deliciousness, P.
Pin It!

26 comments:

Terry said...

Thanks so much for showing those charming buildings in Cincinnati. I've had 2 very brief stays there and want to return to check it out some day.

Gollum said...

If I ever make it back to Cincinnati, I am SO going. This is a foodie paradise. What a great post and commentary!

Happy To Be said...

Thanks for sharing a fun market and a great bit of history with us..Happy FOODIE FRIDAY to you girl...hugs and smiles Gl♥ria

Kristi said...

Wouldn't I love to spend a day shopping at that Market. What a paradise!! When does the next flight to Cincinnati take off? I'm on it! Thanks for sharing!

Susan @ A Southern Daydreamer said...

Looks like a great place to spend many hours!

susan said...

Thanks for posting these great pictures and info. I love a farmers' market and can't wait for ours to open.

Marilyn said...

What a beautiful century old building! The whole time I am touring I am thinking it reminds me of a Paris Market!! You are very lucky to have such a wonderful market!!
Have a Happy Spring!!
Love,
Marilyn
xxoo

Martha said...

How lucky for you that you have that wonderful venue. Now you make me want to go to Cincinnati!

PAT said...

Wonderful photos and story! Thanks so much for sharing this great market!

Pat@Back Porch Musings

Berlin Deluxxe said...

You are lucky to be near such a beautiful market. I love the feeling of an open air one. The freshness of the local produce and kindness of the people is what I most miss about living back in my home in Naples.
Do enjoy your weekend and thank you for the sweet comment you left on my page :)

Cathy said...

Hi first time vistor here, loved seeing your photos of this charming market.

Geralyn Gray said...

I love being able to see cities like Cincinnati without boarding a plane. It is good see places like this still thriving--I hope they are around for another 150 years!!!!!!

ALVN of WhisperWood Cottage said...

Wonderful! The table with the baskets of flowers is beautiful! Thanks for sharing!

Amy

P.S....I'm having a giveaway to celebrate 100 posts! 3 signed photos and 1 large chandelier wall decal from Wilson Graphics! Thought you might be interested!! :)

amariaf2000 said...

I think I could spend all day here!
Thanks for sharing!!
~angela @ peonypatch

mbkatc230 said...

What a great market! The buildings are gorgeous, and the market looks fabulous. What a fun place to spend the day. All the local food vendors reminds me a bit of the Reading Terminal market in Philadelphia. But I really love the outdoor vendors for spring and summer. Kathy

Jodie LeJeune said...

Wow! I love love love the history of this market! When I think of Cincinnati, I think of 'big city' stuff but this is amazing! If ever I go see you...will you please take me there????? :)
everything vintage

Carisa said...

The baskets filled with flowers are fabulous. I NEED one for my front yard.

Stephenie said...

THose building are just so amazing!! What a fun post.. That dog in a stroller is just so cute... I really think I need to make my way over to Cincinnati its seems like such an amazing place.
Thanks for the pics.
Stephenie

bj said...

A beautiful building, indeed..thanks for taking us along. We have nothing like this in West Texas...

Beth at Aunties said...

I enjoyed our tour of beautiful old town Cincinati. What a quaint and fun place to stroll and shop.

I would love a spring time excursion spending time there.

Thanks for sharing a place I have been to other than being close to a airport I know well!

trash talk said...

I so admire the pride you have for your city! We have a Farmers Market here in Dallas that is fun but not nearly as eventful as what you described. I go mainly for flowers, shrubs and strawberries!
Does it count if I shop at a grocer that buys produce from the local farmers? The best tomatoes ever. Love the tours,always.
Debbie

cityfarmer said...

our local market opens on Mother's Day weekend...I simply cannot wait!

nikkicrumpet said...

What a cool place. It looks like it would actually make food shopping fun! I try really hard to buy most of our produce from the local markets here. It usually is a bit more expensive but it's so nice to have things that are fresh.

Julia @ Hooked on Houses said...

What a great post about Findlay Market! I enjoyed reading some of the history behind it and those photos of the painted Italianate buildings were great. I love all the colors they used.

Jen r. said...

How cool! Thanks for the tour!

Phillips Phamily Mama said...

Beautiful post! Thanks for sharing a side of Cincinnati I've never seen!