Pages

Living Graciously, Artfully, Frugally.

Consciously taking notice of the gifts each day places in our path.

“I awoke this morning with devout thanksgiving for my friends, the old and the new.” R. W. Emerson

Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Captured Time

I have not been a very good blogger recently. Some time for reflection was needed. I like my blog to be a cheerful place to visit, a respite from the economy or the state of the world or just a bad day. So for the past few weeks I feel I have been cheating. However all of you out there in Blogland are so kind that I want to share the reason I have been absent. My Dad passed away on February 21st. I feel that grief is personal and for that reason I did not want to post a long story about his life. It is enough to say he was a wonderful, loving Daddy and a good man who made my childhood a magical one.
One of my Aunts brought this newspaper clipping to his Memorial service and I love this little snippet of times gone by. Fun and kind of funny. Growing up, one of our neighbors was a professional photographer who did a lot of ad photos. He was asked to do pictures for a new GE range and he recruited a few neighbors to model for him. The result is the ad pictured. My mom is second from left and my dad is in the center looking over her head. The others are our next door neighbors on either side of our house in our little cul-de-sac. This was 1964. What a lot of fun we had back then.
I would have posted more pictures but I find it so hard to look at them. Is it getting older that makes one realize that photos taken today may someday cause such sadness? I have always loved vintage photographs, a little piece of captured time. But these slices of time are out of reach forever. When they hold a piece of your own past they are bittersweet treasures, the essence of a life already lived. Time already gone.
I wouldn't trade the photos or the memories for anything, although I can see why sometimes with the best intentions, these pictures can cause pain. Old home movies and photo montages put together for a celebration are always fun for the grandkids and newlyweds but what about grandma or grandpa? I read an article by an elderly woman on this topic. She said to think twice about trotting out the big video presentation on the 50th anniversary or 80th birthday party. Although the family may enjoy reminiscing, the movies of loved ones and friends now gone only made her sad.
Most vintage photos capture life's joyous occasions. Moments of pleasure in life. When I find these bits of life in antique shops, babies and families and wedding parties, even pet portraits, I always feel a tug at my heart thinking that when the picture was taken they were in the middle of living a life that is now a piece of the past. This, though, is what life is made of, memories and the passing of time. These photos are records of how wonderful life can be.
I think what originally drew me to blogging were all of the beautiful photographs. Captured moments that will never be repeated, gone in the blink of an eye. A photograph is so intimate and personal, as it is the view seen literally through the photographer's eye. That particular view and moment cannot, by it's very nature, be repeated. Captured time.
So let us continue to capture time to pass on to our friends and family, and to share with one another the beautiful moments that make up our lives.

Have a Wednesday full of wonderful moments, P.

A sad P.S. Deck Ape's little Cody passed away Friday. I know many of you have been checking in on him. There is an address on his site for donations to fight Neuroblastoma in Cody's name. Click the Childhood Cancer badge on the sidebar. This is a fight we have to win.
Pin It!

16 comments:

LADY JANE'S EMPORIUM said...

Beautiful and thoughtful post! I am so sure your special angel was in heaven shining down on you when you wrote this! I too always wonder about found photographs and wonder how a family could let them out of their family??? Rather than focus on the idea that the photograph is gone from a families album I try to think how lucky I am that they have allowed me to take part of their family to treasure what has been captured in a photo, and I focus on the true memories and love in the someones heart! For it is with our heart that we keep the love of family forever! Hugs to you!

susan said...

The music alone on your post brought back so many memories for me. Take time to grieve, remember, and heal. Don't rush yourself. I pray that God will send you just what you need for this day.

Geralyn Gray said...

I love the picture---so 60's........I think anything we can grab on to keep our memories alive are priceless. We go through changes, some things we try to forget, but some things we should never forget. I am looking forward to reading all of your posts. I loved your visit to the gardens. Philiadelphia hosted an Italian theme this year for their flower show.....couldn't get there, but today I am going to see if I can find some pictures online.....next best thing to being there.

idrawpix said...

Thank you for putting in writing what is both such a personal and universal point of view. I was able to completely feel what you were sharing about the captured time and the bittersweet pain of photos. Such sweet tenderness goes hand in hand with our pain and our longing to turn back time.

Berlin Deluxxe said...

My heart and prayers go out to Cody's family...

What a sweet picture ad, men in suits and women in dresses and skirts.... *sighs*

Lou Cinda said...

I know exactly what you mean...I feel the same way but can't phrase it as eloquently as you did. My parents have both passed away and it is so difficult. Their house has been for sale and it is all I can do to go over there to take care of something, the feelings just well up and overwhelm me. I see us as kids laughing and running through that house, family reunions and Christmas with people that have gone on before me. This is why my faith is so important to me. I will see them again....that sustains me. This was a beautiful post. Thank you for sharing.

Have a Blessed Day and I am so sorry for your loss.

Lou Cinda

trash talk said...

Pam, I wish I had the power of words that you possess. Your posts could be set to music (which btw, the background music is beautiful). You know you hold a special place in my heart and I'm keeping you there. Thank you for sharing that photo of your mom and dad. That era had to be lived in to be believed. Your snapshot encapsulated it perfectly. It was so sad to read about Cody. My heart just goes out to Deck Ape and his family. I am very grateful to you for directing me to them. Debbie

Jodie LeJeune said...

Hey there girlie...
Awesomely said. Although pictures may be painful in years to come, I hope my generation can still look at them at a later date and tell some stories that is as awe-inspiring as we hear now of the 60's. I doubt it, but I wish.
Glad to have you back, I missed you!
Jodie
everything vintage

Moonlight Hollow Musings said...

First, please allow me to convey my sorrow on the loss of your Daddy. Second, this is an absolutely beautiful post...from the heart, from the past, from your loss. I hope that your days become easier and that your memories become sweeter.

Malisa

The English Cottage Collection said...

Pam, What a beautiful post and tribute to your Daddy. Thank you for sharing the lovely picture and such heartfelt words, so well put. Take care of yourself...Debra

Justpeachy said...

In time you'll be able to look at photographs with a smile on your face and joy in your heart, those photos were taken to capture happy moments, hardly anyone whips out a camera to take a picture of someone crying, smile, say cheese, take a picture.

Sue said...

Pam,
Please accept my condolences on the loss of your father...

Your post was very emotion provoking. I too feel that "bittersweet" feeling when looking at old pictures of loved ones. When I did that "Smilebox" photo montage for Lauren's birthday awhile back, it was so sad for me. I miss ALL the children she was...infant, toddler, adolescent, etc.

I will keep you and your family in my thoughts and prayers...Like Susan said, "take time to grieve, remember and heal." We are here for you.

thedomesticfringe said...

Pam this was a beautiful post. I'm so very sorry for your loss. Thank you for sharing your wonderful picture with us.

My prayers are with you.

-FringeGirl

nikkicrumpet said...

I'm so sorry about the passing of your dear father. And I agree sometimes photos can bring with them some sorrow. But it's good that we can save those special moments forever. Just like the one in that ad. It really is a great picture.

Bryce, Suzanne, David & Baby Drummond said...

Hi Pam, I'm your swap partner for the Very Vintage Easter Swap. I was just looking around on your blog and wanted to say hello. I think it is so neat that you have that old photo with your parents like that. It is definatly something to treasure! Is there any other way to contact you (like email) other than posting a message on your blog? Look forward to swapping with you and hope to talk to you more...
Suzanne Drummond

The Rustic Victorian said...

I am sorry for your loss, I went through it a few years ago, I understand..time helps.
You are in my prayers
Marcie