Pages

Living Graciously, Artfully, Frugally.

Consciously taking notice of the gifts each day places in our path.

“I awoke this morning with devout thanksgiving for my friends, the old and the new.” R. W. Emerson

Friday, March 13, 2009

Are You Irish, at Least on St. Paddy's Day?

Thanks so much for all of your kind comments and e-mails. I feel refreshed and renewed by all of you, my blogging friends. Let's move on to a bit of fun. How many of you out there are Irish? (or wannabe's like me, around this time of year:) Do you celebrate with corned beef and cabbage, Irish Stew, soda bread? Green beer? I would love to hear any recipes, events, favorite libations...all your Irish traditions.
This evening we will be attending an Irish Cabaret held at an historic local church on the West side of Cincinnati. (unless you are "from here" you would not understand the crazy East/ West rivalry that some citizens of our city indulge in) Suffice it to say that if you were born on the "West Side" the traditional belief is that your parents and grandparents were also West Siders and you probably haven't moved more than a few blocks from the street you grew up on.
Although I do not subscribe to this philosophy I must confess that the entertainment at the Irish Cabaret is being provided by a group of extremely talented young men from the West side Catholic boy's high school that my son attended. The confession part is that my father and my husband's father also attended high school there. Yikes! I so want to be nontraditional, tee hee.
That said, I am looking forward to this event because my dear friend's son is going to be singing and I haven't had a chance to hear him yet. This family is as Irish as can be, she is a Reilly and her hubs is a Mulligan. Can you have green blood?
Below is a picture of the boys performing at St. Williams Church, where the Cabaret will be held.(Not in the church of course) I also have another confession, my husband and I as well as my parents were married in this church. His parents would have been married here as well, but were wed in Fort Sill, Oklahoma before my father-in-law was sent overseas in WWII. (don't forget to click on the photo for a closer view, the church is gorgeous) Hmmm, sounds like I am more traditional than I realize.
Being an Irish wannabe I am posting a few pictures of a past cabaret. It looks like it will be a blast. I so love to see blossoming talent. (plus, the ticket price includes...free beer...oh and pretzels and chips,... and did I mention beer?) Another side note, most people from Cincinnati and especially the west side are German or Irish or a mixture of both, hence the beer.
I am sure we will be crooning along and shedding a tear over old Danny boy's fate.
Thanks for indulging me in another little bit of Cincinnati tradition. I will be awaiting your comments on the Irish traditions that you hold dear in your own hometown.
Erin Go Bragh!

Have a musical Friday, P.
P.S. Go to Hooked on Houses to see what everyone else is hooked on today.
Pin It!

13 comments:

Geralyn Gray said...

My mom is all Irish....my dad a little bit of French, but mostly English. I actually haven't thought about it lately, but I should talk to my Aunt again. I used to make corned beef--I used to boil everything--but I am finding out my family doesn't like boiled meat...my husband is Scottish. A parade is usually held, but it is so early the weather has been awful. I do wear green--but that is it lately----sad when I think about it. All the bars are so crazy--not so fun when you are out with the kids. Enjoy the concert tonight--it looks to be a wonderful night--I wish they would have beer at our chorus concerts. Have one for me! Cheers and may the luck of the Irish be with you!

Jodie LeJeune said...

Pam I'm sorry to tell you but...
I have NO Irish or green blood in me.
I am 100% CAJUN FRENCH...an ACADIAN by all means.
However, I do love St. Patti's Day and we wear green so we won't be pinched! Some party hard, some not (that would be me).
The church is beautiful...I can imagine both your wedding and your parent's wedding there, it's a lovely setting. I bet the comparison in the wedding pictures over the years is awesome!!! If you get a chance, you need to post them!!!!!
Hope you have a wonderful night!!!!
Have fun!!!!!
Jodie
everything vintage
p.s. I'm getting as bad as Geralyn in writing a paragraph...tee hee!!

Tristan Robin Blakeman said...

not a drop of Irish blood here - but any holiday that celebrates with corned beef, beer, and tenors is going to have me participating!

of course - it's hard to keep me away from any holidays. I blame it on my mother. We were Jewish - but always decorated for Christmas and Easter - even went to midnight Christmas eve church service back when they were actually at midnight...and though white we celebrated Kwanzaa.

Any reason to drag out the decorations and glitter is a good reason for me!

The Rustic Victorian said...

Oh what alot of fun, do go and celebrate and have some green beer on me.
Marcie

christymccullough said...

Yeah, I am an Irish girl...grandma's bright red curls were passed down to me as auburn curls :) St. Patrick's Day is fun! Even though we have Irish blood we don't have any true Irish traditions so I just make stew and soda bread and call it good! :) Enjoy the day...oh and if you love redheads, I did a whole post about them on my blog today! :)

Sandra Evertson said...

I love your blog banner!
Sandra

boylerpf said...

Boyle? Irish? You bet! The name was changed from O'Boyle when they immigrated. traditions? Hmm...just the typical corned beef and cabbage with boiled potatoes around here.

Sue said...

Pam,
I was born in Cincinnati, but I am German through and through.

It is a lovely holiday, though. I remember one St Paddy's day, my first husband and I were thinking of buying a bar in Brookville, IN. He worked as bartender and I was a waitress. Let me tell you, those people drank A LOT of green beer that night...was I ever pooped at the end of it!

Have fun...Erin Go Bragh, right back at ya!

Why S? said...

If I don't do anything else, I always wear a special pair of St. Patrick's Day socks. The bars are always too crowded and I don't drink beer anyway. I would love to one day spend St. Paddy's in Ireland. My paternal grandmother was a Doyle, so that should count. And my husband is of Irish descent, named after one of the counties.

The English Cottage Collection said...

That song would make anybody feel like they had some Irish in them!! WE drink-ka the medicanal beer!!

Laura Ingalls Gunn said...

I am visiting via H.O.H. Great post! I love the Irish!

I hope you'll stop by for a visit, I am hosting a giveaway.

Julia @ Hooked on Houses said...

I've got a little bit of Irish in me--enough that people will sometimes ask, "Are you Irish? You look Irish!" I'm afraid the only thing we do to celebrate is wear green on the day, though.

I love Irish music. The cabaret sounds like fun! :-)

P.S. So sorry to hear about your dad.

Berlin Deluxxe said...

Have fun, wear green and don't get pinched♥