Pages

Living Graciously, Artfully, Frugally.

Consciously taking notice of the gifts each day places in our path.

“I awoke this morning with devout thanksgiving for my friends, the old and the new.” R. W. Emerson

Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Spring, Please Hurry!

I have spring fever BAD!!! Thanks to Donna O'Brien of the Ribboned Crown. She posted a few photos of her porch last summer and if you have never visited , her garden is an absolutely magical place. (along with her home and the beautiful pieces she creates) So I am literally parched for spring after seeing these pictures. Then Kim of Daisy Cottage came to the rescue. I know you are all familiar with her beautiful, colorful and cheerful home. Now I know I have been spouting off about being true to yourself and not following "decorating rules" but I have a confession. I used to love faux flowers. Not as much as real ones which I do buy every week in the winter, but they sure are a time saver and they never wilt (right before the doorbell rings and guests are arriving). But after reading all the no no never's about having fakes in your home I got rid of all of mine. So much for following your heart. Well, Kim's post woke me up to being duped out of doing what I enjoy. If you like a few faux bouquets hear and there, go for it. She has Daisy Cottage looking like spring has sprung and there isn't a bit of "tacky" in the whole place. Just a beautiful happy environment to enjoy. So I headed out to my local warehouse of silks and picked up a few new ones. I haven't gotten around to arranging them but I'll post a few photos when I do.

So all this blabbing leads to this...I had a few pieces of this and that sitting around and I decided to make a faux terrarium. I do love real ones but if you don't remove the lid they get all foggy and then the glass gets spotty and...well, they just don't look perfect on the day you are having guests. By all means try a real one but for a quick fix this is pretty cute. I had a glass lidded jar from a clearance sale that I hadn't filled yet, a bag of small stones and a bag of assorted moss, (all can be found at the local craft emporium or discount store) and a fairly nice looking faux fern frond. Try saying that 3 times fast.
Place about a 1/2 inch layer of rocks on the bottom of the jar. Pull a few small pieces from the frond to fit in the jar standing up and "plant" them in the rocks.
Play around until you like the placement.
Pick out a few types of moss that you like.
Place bits of moss around the fern to resemble a forest floor. Plop the lid on and you are fini'. I'm sure I have seen this done before but I can't remember where off the top of my head.
It may not fool a botanist but who is going to get that close? Tuck these in with a few houseplants and you will feel like spring inside even when the snow is blowing outside.
I am going to hunt down my wire cutters and get to work on my fake bouquets. Can you see me thumbing my nose at the purists?

Have a bountiful Wednesday, P.
Pin It!

10 comments:

Jodie LeJeune said...

Pam am I surprised? Not at all. I knew you were great in everything else you do...but you really arrange moss beautifully! Perfectly down to each little twig...How do you do that??? tee hee!
Love the tutorial & thanks for sharing!
Amour,
Jodie
everything vintage

Antiques and More Blog said...

You can't get any better than that...instant Spring!! This is my kinda gardening. Thanks so much for sharing!

Have a wonderful Wednesday~

Lisa

Geralyn Gray said...

Ahhhhh Spring.............your photographs are really beautiful. I am feeling a little more springful today because of you-------thanks!!!!!!!!

trash talk said...

What a great idea! I am the proud possessor of two brown thumbs, but I think even I couldn't screw this one up. I'm going to Hobby Lobby and load up.
I agree with you about the silks. Yes, fresh flowers are wonderful, but who can afford them for every room. The silks today are way more realistic than in the 90's. I need some green in my home, so Oprah and Martha....take that! Heck I may even start wearing blue eyeshadow again just because I can.
Debbie

Quirkyloon said...

Um Frippery....I changed my mind and decided to tag some others with my Quirky Meme! And guess what you lucky blogger you! You've been tagged! hee hee

donnaobrien said...

Okay, that is fantastic. I've never had ANY luck something like this. Maybe I'll give it a go!
D.

Primitiques 'n Poetry said...

Wow! You made faux look wonderful! I'm not a fan of the fake faux fauna. But, you did make it look so refreshing! Nice... ~Mindy

Lola Enchanted said...

Very pretty!

The Reed Paint & Design Co. said...

If I had to throw out my fake stuff I would be in trouble. Coco Chanel gave us all permission to mix the real with the faux!
Love the fern cloche. Great job.

Parisienne Farmgirl said...

oops - just commented under company blog.