Pages

Living Graciously, Artfully, Frugally.

Consciously taking notice of the gifts each day places in our path.

“I awoke this morning with devout thanksgiving for my friends, the old and the new.” R. W. Emerson

Thursday, February 19, 2009

Clay Cooking on Foodie Friday


I am participating in Gollum's Foodie Friday today. I don't have a fabulous recipe or gorgeous table scape, just a lowly earthenware cooker. Do any of you own a Schlemmertopf? We received this several years ago as a gift from Hubby's sister and her family. It is wonderful. The Schlemmertopf is the only German made clay cooker sold on the American market. Germany is the original home of earthenware cooking and apparently the only source for special clay to create an authentic clay cooker.
I love this little piece of cookware magic. You soak it in water before cooking and it keeps whatever you make amazingly juicy as well as cooking it more quickly. They can be purchased on line as well as many department and specialty stores, but I have also read of many shoppers finding them at garage sales. (Who ever was selling them must not have used it first because they would never part with it afterward.)

I often use mine to roast chicken which comes out golden brown and falling off the bone.However, This time I decided to stuff my chicken and use the Schlemmertopf. Oops, mistake. The chicken was delish...but the stuffing was a soggy mush. I forgot how much delicious broth is created inside the cooker. Yummy, but not conducive to fluffy stuffing. Stove Top next time!
I can smell the goodness when I lift the lid. Served on my favorite set of Johnson Brothers Olde English Countryside dishes, it was a tasty, warm meal on a cold winter evening.
I am hosting our dinner club this evening with a Mardi Gras Theme. I am really having fun with my table scape. This is my first attempt at gumbo. I'll let you know how everything goes. Meantime visit all the Foodie Friday participants for all kinds of yummy ideas.

Have a fulfilled Friday, P.
Pin It!

22 comments:

trash talk said...

Y'all are killing this chubby girl! I had brownies with chocolate chip cookies baked into them at Sparkled Life and now roast chicken and dressing. If I can eat cyber food then I guess I can cyber exercise. I'll be on cybersize if you get to looking for me. Debbie

The Quintessential Magpie said...

I'm so glad you told us about that cooker! I really want one now. My mother used to make the most delicious chicken on earth. And try as I may, I can't replicate it. But this might just hit the spot. My husband always loved my mother's cooking, so I really am going to look for this German cookware.

Hope your Mardi Gras party was fun!

XO,

Sheila :-)

thedomesticfringe said...

Your chicken looks yummy! I only bake in stoneware. I even have a stoneware bundt pan...LOVE IT!!!

The Pampered Chef has a complete line of stoneware pans and they're great.

-FringeGirl

Susan said...

Looks delicious!

Happy Foodie Friday!

Susan

Gollum said...

I hope you had a wonderful time at your party--and I am so thankful that you posted this recipe, and the info on the cooker. The chicken looks delicious! I have clay shortbread molds and love them.
Hugs,
G

Happy To Be said...

Great information about the cooker I have a large clay pot from Japan that is outside and its wonderful for smokin meat..love your plates...hugs and smiles Gl♥ria

Justpeachy said...

Next time try stuffing the chicken with slices of lemons and onions and sprigs of fresh rosemary, I've never tried it in a clay cooker, but when I make it at my house in my cookware, the meat gets infused with the flavors of the lemons, onions and rosemary and your whole house smells amazing.

mbkatc230 said...

The chicken looks wonderful. I've seen these at kitchen shops before but have never cooked with one. I may have to try it. Have fun at your Mardi Gras party! Thanks for sharing this, Kathy

Jodie LeJeune said...

Geez Pam, where have I been??? I have never heard nor seen one of those German contraptions BUT your chicken surely looked delicious, soggy stuffing and all.

I just LOVE your plates! You must have cabinet fulls of just plates!

Thought: maybe you can start a Tablescape Tuesday post...you do such a beautiful job at decorating!!!

Cheers to tonight!!!!!
Jodie
everything vintage

imjacobsmom said...

Hey thanks for sharing this with us - you know I've heard about this cooker before and now I really think I need one. Your chicken looks delish- stuffing and all! ~ Robyn

once in a blue moon... said...

looks wonderful and great dishes~

Shelia said...

This looks so delicious!
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

JyLnC said...

I've never heard of this type of clay cooking. I'm going to have to check in my local stores to see if they carry them. Happy Foodie Friday and good luck with your gumbo.

CC said...

Love that chicken! And the plate, too! Is that clay cooker similar to a tandoori pot?

It's cute and effective, double yummy!

Carolyn

nikkicrumpet said...

That's a very cool gadget...I've never seen one of those before!

Geralyn Gray said...

Enjoy your mardi gras dinner club, Jodie definitely has to teach me some french, too. I loved her mardi gras post....Have fun....take pictures!

Berlin Deluxxe said...

I have the exact same cooker given to me by my mom. I use mine for cornish hens. I soak the cooker first and then add the hens and veggies. Delicious!

Kathleen said...

Love the dishes, and the chicken looks good..
I hope you will post your Mardi Gras table!!!

Foley said...

Love learning all about new cookware - yours sound wonderful..the roast chicken so tender!

LOVE your header!!!

squawmama said...

I have several of these baking dishes all decorated in the style of what you would cook in it... I love them... I even have the garlic roaster... Mine are all in storage now that we live in Tassie... No room for them here... Great post!

HUGS,
Donna

Diane said...

This looks wonderful! Great idea! ♥ Diane

Sara's Sweet Surprise said...

This was so interesting... not only a foodie meal, but the story about the clay crock. I wasn't familiar with the origin.
Thanks for your visit. I appreciate you stopping by.

Sweet Wishes,
Sara