Pages

Living Graciously, Artfully, Frugally.

Consciously taking notice of the gifts each day places in our path.

“I awoke this morning with devout thanksgiving for my friends, the old and the new.” R. W. Emerson

Friday, January 16, 2009

Powder Room Make Over

In my quest for a neutral palette in my more "public" rooms I tackled my powder room last week. It was a pretty spa blue with raised white plaster accents and a light faux finish. The vanity was white and distressed. I was just getting tired of the look.This pic is more true to the actual color on the walls. I love all my black and cream accents, with touches of silver and gold, and wanted to keep them.
I chose a warm mocha paint that is in between the dark chocolate and creamy tan that I have in my entry. I painted the vanity lacquer black but kept the mirror white. (I realized I do not have a photo of the vanity)
The lighting isn't fabulous for photography and I am flash averse. In order to address the raised plaster I silver leafed over those parts that were raised after I painted. I love the bit of shine this lends the room. A bit more sophisticated than the previous look.
I kept my little couples under glass and bits of tarnished silver. All have a special meaning as they are heirlooms from various family members. All the framed pieces are family pictures as well as my father-in-laws high school diploma, (from the same high school my son attended) and my grandmothers marriage certificate. I love displaying these treasures in one place.
I found this mirrored box at a local antiques show and it sits on the back of the toilet tank holding lipsticks and gloss. (You always need to freshen up your look!)
Pieces of lace and linen and a sweet little prize ribbon from a horse show.
This was my mother-in-laws cherub that I painted black and rubbed with silver. A few millinery flowers dress him to perfection.
These photos look as if they are sepia but these are the actual colors used in the room.
This is one of my mom's old spring hats. I just think it is so pretty. I used the base of a metal wall lamp to display it.
My black and white couples under glass. Sweet.

I am happy with my neutral backgrounds because I can now switch accessories at will. Pink or red would be cheerful in this room. Greens could bring a very earthy feel. Pale blue could work for a softer look. For now I will keep the black and white.
What do you think?

Have a creative Saturday, P.
Pin It!

9 comments:

Geralyn Gray said...

I love it!!!!!! Worth all the work for sure. You are really talented. Thanks so much for the help with cut and paste thing. I have a Mac too and I am so happy with all that I have learned since November. So far I just impress myself. My kids still moan when I ask for help, so it is trial and error for me and I get frustrated pretty quick.

delighted heart said...

Sooo beautiful! All the family mementos are wonderful and I love the little wedding toppers! That is a great color on the walls. You really can do sooo much with it and it is calming. I went different shades of neutral in my house this past year and all my goodies have taken on a different look. I'm lovin it. Hope you have a great weekend!
Bless Ya!
Patti

Primitiques 'n Poetry said...

I think you hit the nail on the head. I recall having seen some of these couples/marriage/certificate things long ago, when I first discovered you. And I STILL love that! Perfect entertainment in the powder room. The neutral colors with the silver/golds are so warm. You did great! ~Mindy

Jodie LeJeune said...

Absolutely gorgeous! I love the idea of family heirloom framed certificates in the powder room for all of your guests to see. If I were in there, you'd be worried if I was okay because I'd be reading each and everyone of them and admiring the family photos! Awesome job as always!
Jodie

trash talk said...

So glad to see you weren't wasting your time when you shut us off. What an unique twist with the family memorabilia. I love it. I may just have to steal, I mean borrow that idea. I really, really give you two thumbs up!!! Your hard work shows. Tn'T

nikkicrumpet said...

Looks gorgeous...looks like a lot of hard work! And your accessories are so wonderful!

ALVN of WhisperWood Cottage said...

Love it all! I especially love the family heirlooms!

vintagepaletteart said...

You are one amazing decorator! I love all the special little touches and the family heirlooms. It just makes the place seem so warm and cozy. Might be a problem in the bathroom though because I wouldn't want to come out! ;o)

Thanks for sharing your skills!

thedomesticfringe said...

It's beautiful! I love what you've done.

-FringeGirl