Pages

Living Graciously, Artfully, Frugally.

Consciously taking notice of the gifts each day places in our path.

“I awoke this morning with devout thanksgiving for my friends, the old and the new.” R. W. Emerson

Monday, November 24, 2008

Nest Emptying

My little peach has grown up so quickly I could have missed it if I didn't make an effort to linger over moments that seemed to say "pay attention, this is your one chance".
Heading out the door to the last Father Daughter dance I managed to grab a few pictures of my little bird so ready to take flight. (She is almost more photo averse than her mom) Senior year is an exciting time, full of activity, but also packed with "last times" for moms and dads.
Sadie attends an all girl's school and each year for the Father Daughter dance there is a special t-shirt designed as a little memory of that year. Each girl and each dad gets one. The shirt from 2007 is one that never fails to bring a tear to my eye. I think it truly sums up every parent's ambivalent emotions about their child's pending adulthood. (It is a Billy Ray Cyrus/Hannah Montana song which of course seems lame to the girl's but us mom's and dads are lame anyway)
The back of the shirt says...
"She's at the startin' line of the rest of her life
As ready as she's ever been
Got the hunger and the stars in her eyes
The prize is her's to win
She's waitin' on my blessings before she hit's that open road
Baby get ready, get set, don't go."

Have a memorable Monday, P.

P.S. I am sitting here crying, truly lame!
Pin It!

6 comments:

trash talk said...

Girl, I feel ya! When I was doing the post on Jenn's bebe news, all I could think about was her. You know how they say your life flashes before your eyes? That's what hers did the whole time I was posting. It goes so quickly and even tho she is 33 she'll always be a little girl to me. So you just go ahead and have a good cry and I'll join you. Debbie

Frippery said...

True words. I got the beginnings of an idea floating in my head about a site for us "more mature" mom's. When it percolates a bit more I'd like to let you in on it. Could be fun. Pam

pedalpower said...

I know how you feel...I've had a few teary posts this year with our baby going off to college. It's a big adjustment...for the mom!

Jodie LeJeune said...

She's beautiful!!! Be proud and enjoy every moment! The best is yet to come...so they say!!!! Oh, and thanks for putting my favorite music back on...I love it! *wink*
Jodie

Geralyn Gray said...

She's beautiful----Well obviously we're in the same boat. It's hard to let go. I swear this is why I started scrapbooking, so I have something positive in my life. I can focus on something and have fun creating. I've been drawn to bird images in my work lately, I wonder if that is an empty nest thing.

Geralyn Gray said...

She's beautiful----Well obviously we're in the same boat. It's hard to let go. I swear this is why I started scrapbooking, so I have something positive in my life. I can focus on something and have fun creating. I've been drawn to bird images in my work lately, I wonder if that is an empty nest thing.