Pages

Living Graciously, Artfully, Frugally.

Consciously taking notice of the gifts each day places in our path.

“I awoke this morning with devout thanksgiving for my friends, the old and the new.” R. W. Emerson

Friday, November 28, 2008

A Good Time Was Had By All

I hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving. We did. I took this picture at 6:30 am on Thanksgiving morning. My sweet Sadie spent the previous evening emptying walnut shells for me. In the morning I glued on ribbon and filled them with mini M&M's for each place setting. You know how I love tiny things.We went for simplicity this year. Since I turned my dining room into a reading room I now have my big table in the family room. So instead of my wedding china I set the tables with mismatched thrifted china. So much more fun. The centerpiece was a thrift store frame turned tray, scattered with pine and boxwood boughs from the yard, and a few left over walnuts. A couple of glass dishes with candles and some autumn colored plastic gems from Michaels.
I did use my crystal wine glasses and my mother-in-laws sterling flatware which is encrusted with floral carvings on the handles. So beautiful. Instead of serving at the table as we usually do, we served buffet style. This may become a new tradition.
We were joined by my mother and my brother and his family as well as my oldest friend's Barb and Kathy and Barb's family. There were 15 of us in all. The kid's table was similarly decked out. The candy filled nuts sat atop napkins folded into the glasses.
A prayer at the children's table.
Two of the boys at the "Children's table are college students, but they were good sports and joined in the fun.
Everyone gathered in the basement to play various games.
What American holiday doesn't include kids gathered around the video game console?
I love a holiday full of violent games don't you?
This is my friend Barb's son, Sam, a college freshman this year.
It wasn't all video games, here my son Joe and his grandma work together on a jig saw puzzle. This is another of our traditions.
My youngest nephew, Dylan, lends a hand.

Family, friends, food and love, how much richer could anyone be?

Have a Friday full of gratitude, P.
Pin It!

6 comments:

Justpeachy said...

Everything was even prettier in person and, as always, you make all of your friends feel welcome in your lovely home.

Jodie LeJeune said...

Thanks for sharing your special day Pam. You have a beautiful family. Much to be thankful for.
Jodie

Sue said...

Pam,

Looks like you had a lovely Thanksgiving.

A question...is that painting behind Joe in the last 2 pictures supposed to be Chris Daughtry by any chance? (Did your daughter paint it? If it is, and she is a fan of his, show her the picture of me and him at the bottom of my blog!)

Have a Great weekend. I take my certification test one week from today, so this is (hopefully) my last weekend of SOLID studying!

Geralyn Gray said...

Happy Thanksgiving. It's great to be invited into your home and share Thanksgiving with you. Love your centerpieces. Yes, those were tootsie roll wrappers. Maybe I'll show you Mary Jane and Butterfinger. That's her concentration. She found a niche and is running with it. I am still finding a style in my artwork and she has found her favorite medium--candy wrappers!

Jen r. said...

I love that center piece with the pinecones!

Primitiques 'n Poetry said...

I absolutely love family time! Love the traditions and the visiting. Glad to see you got to enjoy your loved ones. Looks like a good time. ~Mindy