Pages

Living Graciously, Artfully, Frugally.

Consciously taking notice of the gifts each day places in our path.

“I awoke this morning with devout thanksgiving for my friends, the old and the new.” R. W. Emerson

Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Historic Cincinnati and Lunch with my Son

By now you know how much I love my city. How about another little look at one of her beautiful and diverse neighborhoods. (Plus a bit on my other bohemian child) My son Joe often calls his dad and I during the week if he has a little time between work and classes, to join him for lunch. We of course love that he wants to spend free time with us. So we joined him and his girlfriend Jena for sushi and curry in historic Mt. Adams.

Joe is currently attending the University of Cincinnati with a double major in neuroscience and biology. He is in his third year and is considering medical school as his next step. He also works as a research assistant to a doctor studying Schizophrenia and will be published before he graduates He was always in gifted programs in elementary and high school as well as an avid basketball player and musician. His band, Breathing Room, won second place in the battle of the high school bands and received a $1000.00 prize, half of which they donated to Elder High School where he was a senior at the time. Okay, enough bragging, but I just love this kid and am very proud of his accomplishments.
On to Mt. Adams. We had lunch at Teak, a Thai restaurant, penang and massaman curry, seafood choochee and a humongous platter of shushi. (I would have brought my camera to the restaurant but hubs and son are not that understanding of my need to photograph everything) So... delicious food and gorgeous open air courtyard dining on a beautiful fall day with my son... perfection.
Mt. Adams is known for steep, narrow streets. ( my handsome dreadlocked son and his girlfriend, the beautiful Jena, see what I mean about my kids and self expression?)
Mt. Adams sits above downtown Cincinnati to the East. Named for John Quincy Adams who delivered the dedication address for what was then the most powerful observatory in the country, this area is home to 5 buildings currently listed on the historic register. Nicholas Longworth owned all of Mt. Adams and this is where the vineyards for his catawba grapes were located. Mt. Adams was the center for wine making in the U.S. in the early 1800's
The streets are steep and winding, giving the effect of a mini SanFrancisco. For you collectors out there Mt. Adams was home to the Rookwood Pottery. It is an eclectic area of fine dining, unique shopping, the arts and beautiful homes with stunning views of the river and the city.
Look at these adorable fall window boxes. (Gotta take this idea home with me.)
Lots to see here. I have been trying to talk my husband into considering moving to a more urban location when he retires. I haven't sold him on downtown Cincy but maybe Mt. Adams? After all, we grew up in the suburbs, moved to the country now it's time to embrace a new lifestyle.
I could get used to walking where I needed to go and we're five minutes from downtown Cincy. What's not to love?
This is why they call it MOUNT Adams, one of Cincinnati's seven hills. (although I've yet to see a definitive list, fodder for another post)
Sweet little row houses with loads of character, I'd like to tour them all.
Oh well, all good things must end. Back to North Bend.
Although I say we live in the country we are really less than 20 minutes from here.
Bye sweeties, thanks for sharing your day with us, Love you.
Back to the "country".

If you would like to see some really great tours of beautiful (and not so much) homes around Cincinnati visit Julia at http://hookedonhouses.net/
You will get outside and INSIDE looks at some really fabulous places around the city. We do have some doozies. Loads of decorating ideas too.
Thanks for coming along and putting up with my blabbing about my family and my city. You are all very gracious.

Have a hometown Wednesday, P.
Pin It!

4 comments:

trash talk said...

Pam, why am I not surprised your son and daughter are so gifted. You always deliver such beautiful posts. I look forward to them and learning a new word for the day. BTW, how is humongous served? LOL Deb

Teresa said...

I love Mt. Adams, but haven't been there for about 5 years. Thanks for all of the Cincy tours...they really make me want to move back to Ohio.

Sue said...

Pam,
I too love Mt. Adams, although it has been ages since I was there. Is the "Mt. Adams Fish House" still up and running?

Your son IS very gifted...what a GREAT start on his future. (He reminds me of Jason Castro. If you are an American Idol fan, you will know who I am talking about.)

Loved your tour today. I could almost see and smell the area!

A Sentimental Journey said...

How proud you are! That is wonderful ~ isn't it great when yoour kids grow up into fine young adults??? Just awesome. . . . love his dreds, too!! Never been to cincinnnati. . . . just one of many places on my TO DO list!