Pages

Living Graciously, Artfully, Frugally.

Consciously taking notice of the gifts each day places in our path.

“I awoke this morning with devout thanksgiving for my friends, the old and the new.” R. W. Emerson

Tuesday, August 19, 2008

More About Change

The wheelbarrow has now been planted with fresh flowers to see us through to the first frost. The school bells will be ringing and we will move on. I received a lovely comment from Deb at Trash Talk reminding me to cherish my children because time does fly. Thanks, Deb.So, I am still thinking about change. I recently read an interesting book called Too Soon Old, Too Late Smart by Gordon Livingston. I am not the self help book type so it is rare that I pick one up, but the title of this one peaked my interest. He writes 30 essays on basic truths of life that we tend to forget about or overlook in our race that is this modern world we live in. Not everything he writes pertains to every person but there were many Ah Hah, of course I know this, moments while I read these essays. People become stuck in their view of how things should be, ignoring the fact that perhaps a change is in order. We should be asking ourselves "what's next" instead of repeating the same old routines. We tend to get what we expect, so change those expectations if they are dragging you down. Three components of a happy life are something to do, someone to love and something to look forward to.
We live in a society of rampant victimization. You do have control over how you react to the circumstances and people around you if not the circumstances themselves. So no "woe is me." Put your big girl pants on and get out there and live. Age gracefully and with the determination to make each day an event. We are not going to look the way we did at 20 (nor should we, just look at Hollywood, yikes!) but we can maintain that optimistic outlook.
Mr. Livingston says that the greatest gift we can pass from one generation to the next is the conviction that we can achieve happiness amid the losses and uncertainties of life. Hope must be taught. Retaining our good humor and interest in others while aging with dignity, not self pity, is a contribution of inestimable value to those who survive us. Let's teach our children that every phase of life is enjoyable, not just youth. After all, for most of us, our children or loved one's happiness is paramount. Treat each phase of life as a new beginning full of different opportunities. Greet each season, year, decade, beginning or ending as a chance to do something new. It may take determination not to fall into old habits but I think it is really the only way to live.
Yes, the garden is winding down from summer and will be putting on the autumn garb of orange and purple. How can change be a bad thing?
"Nothing but blue skies from now on." That's a sentiment I will strive to live by.
Speaking once more about change (I promise this is it) I am adding playlist to my blog. At least I think I am... trying to...anyway. So if you don't enjoy my musical taste (or lack of) you may turn your volume down when visiting.

Have a cheerful Tuesday, P.
Pin It!

2 comments:

trash talk said...

You are a delight to read. You express what I wish I could. The music is beautiful and sets a tone w/o being annoying. Maybe we were twins separated at birth. Hmmm?

trash talk said...

Just a quick correction-I told you I don't express myself clearly-that is Gloria's store. She pulls out mdse. to take down to Warrenton. When you get to go, let me know, I usually set up at Zapp Hall. You and your husband would love it. It's like nothing else you've ever seen.