Pages

Living Graciously, Artfully, Frugally.

Consciously taking notice of the gifts each day places in our path.

“I awoke this morning with devout thanksgiving for my friends, the old and the new.” R. W. Emerson

Sunday, August 31, 2008

Let's Visit an Artsy Cincinnati Neighborhood

Last Monday, Joe and I took Sadie and some friends to one of their favorite little urban neighborhoods for lunch. The last day of summer vacation called for a bit of fun and Sadie chose to spend it with us!Northside is a centrally located neighborhood in Cincinnati which has enjoyed a resurgence in the last 20 years. Like lot's of older city neighborhoods it had suffered a decline but is now a charming area with a definite artsy flair. It is still a bit shabby with a feel that is a cross between aging hippie and urban hip. Lovely old buildings have been turned into restaurants, salons and shops.
It is within a short distance of several colleges, U.C., Xavier, Cincinnati State and Cincinnati Art Academy and therefore draws from a diverse population which gives Northside it's bohemian vibe.
I love older urban neighborhoods and the architecture that can be found there. The attention to ornament and detail on aging buildings is amazing. It is so important to try to maintain as many of these pieces of history as we can.
We had a lovely lunch at my son Joe's favorite restaurant, Melt. Yummy sandwiches and soups and a large vegan selection as well. I love the funky decor. Mid century thrifted dinnettes and mismatched 60's dinnerware as well as a fabulous retro painted wall in the back dining room.
Of course the cupcakes and brownies are to die for. Sadie ordered this spice cupcake with cream cheese icing. Heavenly.
Did I tell you both of my children are very musical? Sadie plays guitar, drums and violin but her latest desire is an upright bass so we were quite interested when we saw this sign above a street side doorway.
I love these arched windows.
Old buildings reinvigorated with new business. I wonder what the original builders and business owners would think?
I am sure they would be happy to see their creations still standing and thriving.
We had to make a stop at Shake It Records. CDs and art books as well as tons of vinyl LPs. My kids love the old records because of the great artwork on the covers. I practically had to drag my husband out of the door, he was taking quite a trip down memory lane.
The topper was Casablanca Vintage, an old corner building literally loaded with vintage clothing. You can barely walk sideways through this place. They are a source for filmakers looking for period clothing as well as a provider of vintage clothes and formal wear for high school and college kids.
I would just love to own a few of these great hat boxes. Check out the embossed metal ceiling!


We ran out of time for more exploring so we'll leave it for another day. I hope you enjoyed this little taste of an old Cincinnati neighborhood.

Are there favorite little pockets in your city that you enjoy visiting?

Have an Old Fashioned Labor Day, P.
Pin It!

3 comments:

kari and kijsa said...

Love this area!! Happy Labor Day! Thank you for all your prayers and encouragement!

blessings,
kari & kijsa

Hooked on Houses said...

What a fun post! I always love seeing other views of my city that are new to me.

I keep hearing about Melt and how great it is. I really need to drive down there someday! -Julia :-)

Berlin Deluxxe said...

I'm such a sucker for hat boxes! They work great for keeping scarves and pantyhose organized. Thank you for sharing Cincinnati with us and thank you for the darling comments left on my blog :)